The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Preseason October 3, 2022 Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers 6:00pm PT at Rogers Place SN1 SN650AM

Rate this topic

Goal:thecup

Finally! got to watch a game…

Players who most impressed me:

Lazar. Especially during the third period 5on3, McMuffin was doing his speed thing around the perimeter, Lazar just followed him and at the opportune moment, just knocked the puck off his stick. And good energy.

Wolanin, steady, smart passes, good defensive plays, especially on the Canucks PP when the oilers had a 2on1. 

Unpopular opinion: this line up had to happen. Management and coaching had to know which players were worthy of keeping up, and which to send down. I think this game was a good litmus test. Someone like Wolanin stays, and someone like Keeper goes down. (But I’m cheering for Keeper, he got dealt a crappy injury last year, I’m rooting for him) Make the necessary re-assignments, get the proper roster set.

Given the lineups, I thought the Canucks did pretty good until the last 5 minutes. It seemed that 5on3 kill drained all their energy.

2 more games then the season! Wahoo! 

Go Canucks!

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Should we be upset with preseason games, where the team loses, with a mix of AHL and NHL payers, or heavily AHL players? 

Should I answer that that rhetorical question?

That was also a rhetorical question. 

No, no.

Yes, yes it was.

Edited by Chris12345
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

Should we be upset with preseason games, where the team loses, with a mix of AHL and NHL payers, or heavily AHL players? 

Should I answer that that rhetorical question?

That was also a rhetorical question. 

All it matters is how they start the season. Tough 5 gm road trip to start.  They have two games left to tune up. Many players tonight are not going to make the cut. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Guy that stood out to me was Lazar. Really liking his game.

Wolanin, Garland, and Podz were also solid.

I think the point of icing this line up was to see some of the lesser lights playing in important roles against good players.

So what did they find out?  Podkolzin is really good.  And others who rose to the top were those who you named.  I also thought that Briesbois was pretty good but he's still going to  Abby. 

I think we see Wolanin on the 4th pair until Dermott is back.  Who's going to be on the right side on the 4th pair?  Is it Burroughs or Poolman?

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Looks like another pre-season wasted like last - trying to find a non-existant gem amongst our rookies to fill some 4th line slot istead of "gelling" our regular lines     This is exactly what TG did last year and our team came out flat as a pankake & unprepared to play when the regular season started - last year.    

Hopefully a different outcome.  We're going to find out soon enough.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I actually thought they defended quite well for the first 40 and then Delia kinda fell apart. He let in some real stinkers.

Wolanin, Juulsen, Burroughs, and Keeper all played simple effective games. I mean they kept McDavid to 1 point they must have done something right. They were obviously going to have breakdowns, they were playing a full NHL roster.

Demko in net and we probably play them to a draw which says a lot. 

They probably got a few pointers from this guy as his line held McDavid to 0 points

derek-dorsett.jpg.e3895ce2333df6f39004fcc008528f1e.jpg

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

12 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

Boy do we suck. I feel bad for Demmer.

Why? Against the Oilers the defence consisted of Wolanin, Juulsen, DeKeyser, Brisebois, Burroughs and Keeper. All good players but none of them outstanding. Although I think he's played well enough, I don't think DeKeyser gets a contract. Of the rest, Burroughs might slot in as 7th or 8th defenceman. The rest will give Abbotsford a pretty decent defence. Be careful not to read too much into what is really just an audition for an eventual NHL job.

2 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I think he meant we rely on Demmer so greatly to keep from having 7 goals scored against us nightly.

I think Demmer knows what he has to do and be, again. 

He had to do/be it last season as well. 

This team, currently, wins with Goaltending and offensive. 

It is what it is. 

12 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

Boy do we suck. I feel bad for Demmer.

Did you even watch the game? It was a mostly AHL line up for the Canucks against a mostly NHL line up for Edmonton. Demko didn't play and for the first 40 minutes they looked pretty good.

What a joke of a game...AGAIN!! And Yes I know its pre season.. and yes I know we had basically a meek AHL  lineup vrs an almost complete skilled Edmonton NHL squad... so why are Vancouvers management decisions to start or bring such a meek lineup into Edmonton  happening at this point! Dumb, dumb DUMB!! its really nothing more than poor decisions made again and again.  Team cohesion and familiarity starts early in the preseason as well as

winning morale and a positive WINNING Attitude going into the regular season..this happens  BY WINNING preseason games..yes WINNING a game or two..dress a descent lineup and give your team a  chance instead of setting them  up for dissapointment and imminent failure. And don't give me this crap that were still trying out our young players to see what we have..WE KNOW WHAT WE HAVE ALREADY.. don't piss and moan when the team has a slow start this is your fault. By the time these guys find their game together we will be so far behind the 8 ball catching up will be impossible again!! You never learn!  Give your heads a shake Canucks management. Wake up. Furthermore from a marketing stand point I'M sure this will surely help sell season tickets..NOT!!