The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Preseason October 3, 2022 Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers 6:00pm PT at Rogers Place SN1 SN650AM

Rate this topic

Goal:thecup

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So are we going 0- fer in preseason?

It seems highly likely Ghost.

0-5 losses, 7-22 goals at this point, shut-out twice already, and persisting playing a goalie we don't need.

Didn't show much local pride against Seattle and bitchslapped every which way by teams Alberta. 

The only success our forwards have are when scrimmaging against our own D.

And yet, players who haven't played for days have earned a no-practice day today.

Further 3rd period collapses ahead.

• Vintage 1

Dickpool should be on waivers 

Woolly out played pool 

Lockwood  is cheaper and better than dick

i really like hoglander but if it’s between him and garland then garland wins. maybe doesn’t matter right now with the injuries but when all are heathy it could. 

Wasnt expecting much from the line up match but they guys showed some pride and the veterans (garland lazar) that did play showed effort  some leadership. Unlike some of the others in past preseason games. 

Crazy to say this but based on their play so far, Rathbone belongs as our 7th defenceman - too good for the AHL but not wowing us just yet. We can rotate him in against weaker teams but rotate him out when we want a tougher 3rd pairing.

Our best D to start the year probably looks like this:

Hughes - Schenn

OEL - Myers

Dermott - Burroughs

Rathbone

With Dermott possibly injured I hate to say it but Wolanin has outplayed Rathbone so far this preseason.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Crazy to say this but based on their play so far, Rathbone belongs as our 7th defenceman - too good for the AHL but not wowing us just yet. We can rotate him in against weaker teams but rotate him out when we want a tougher 3rd pairing.

Our best D to start the year probably looks like this:

Hughes - Schenn

OEL - Myers

Dermott - Burroughs

Rathbone

With Dermott possibly injured I hate to say it but Wolanin has outplayed Rathbone so far this preseason.

I don't see the advantage of having a young dman sit in the pressbox when he can be getting #1 mins in Abby 

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

OEL, Hughes, Myers, Schenn, Burroughs, and Wolanin would be my crazy pick for the 6 D to start the season.

Dermott is ahead of Burroughs and Wolanin if healthy, as is Rathbone imo.

H, O, M, D, R, S, B, and W for top 8.

Keeper is also interesting for his physicality but needs to speed up his game.

Juulsen is also a little too slow and easily rattled; maybe he needs more time yet; he's got good size and talent.

19 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't see the advantage of having a young dman sit in the pressbox when he can be getting #1 mins in Abby 

i see the advantage since he gets to practice with the main team. clearly he can dominate the ahl but that haven't translated to anything in the nhl. he's not going to get any better dominating inferior competition practicing with inferior players.

12 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Burroughs is 27 fwiw.  I think they like his physicality.  And Poolman, can he regain the form he had with Winnipeg?  We can't forget that in 5 years of pro hockey, Poolman has averaged only about 40 games a season.

I liked Poolman his first season here.  Used his size, somewhat tough, good positionally and decent first pass.  That all has disappeared so maybe you're right in that he just needs to play to find his game.  Unfortunately for him, that's not to be done on the big club.

11 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

We shall see if JR and PA got balls to just send Poolman down on waivers... The guy is so far behind and really needs time in AHL to work on basics again. No team will wanna claim him (sucks for us)!!

Ya I’m very curious how it will go for him 

29 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Dermott is ahead of Burroughs and Wolanin if healthy, as is Rathbone imo.

H, O, M, D, R, S, B, and W for top 8.

Keeper is also interesting for his physicality but needs to speed up his game.

Juulsen is also a little too slow and easily rattled; maybe he needs more time yet; he's got good size and talent.

I agree that Dermott, if healthy, is ahead of Burroughs and Wolanin, but I'd like to see those two fighting for the 6/7 spots. And you just know we'll have more injuries before or shortly after the start of the year, so both could easily play for stretches of the season.

I don't feel like the potential offense that Rathbone brings is going to make up for his defensive lapses. He makes me nervous out there.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

i see the advantage since he gets to practice with the main team. clearly he can dominate the ahl but that haven't translated to anything in the nhl. he's not going to get any better dominating inferior competition practicing with inferior players.

Teams don't practice that much during the reg season.

15 hours ago, Googlie said:

Garrett had a great analysis.. BB didn't want to ice his expected NHL squad in Edmonton,  as we open the season there next week. Why give them practice against our full lineup, especially as they have last change.  Next game in Abbotsford we'll see our expected squad vs Edmonton but we'll have last change

I didn’t mind the line up, winning is secondary to assessments and getting the young guys playing.
I though this group played with some pride worked hard even thou it was obvious they were outmatched. 

but what don’t like is some of the veterans the so called leaders who have been total no shows in the games they’ve played in. 

garland lazar had good games they’ve played hard and lead by example for the youth and have played with some pride. 
As has ep  Demko but others have  mailed it in.
To the point they shouldn’t have even dressed the team would have done better without them on the ice. 

we dressed a good squad against Seattle some decided it wasn’t important, they didn’t think the fans deserved even a modest effort. …

preseason use to be to get into game shape get some young guys up to speed.

Teams that went deep took it easy dressed more youth

teams that have sucked (us) for a decade have zero reason to take it easy gets some wins and positivity flowing instead it’s been hohum and who cares “ just the preseason” from some of the veteran “leaders”.  

Then look bewildered when they start the season slow…

With a few games left hope they decide to show up.

losing is losing you’d think top players on this team would be sick of losing regardless of preseason.
Maybe my expectation are just to high. 
Making excuses is easier. 

17 hours ago, mordekai said:

I watched Delia played for the hawks last year (few games) and he was so bad (granted hawks always a bad team) but he just let in goals nhl goalie should stop. At 28 he ain’t going to be any better

Daaamn.  I didn't know anything about him.  If he was a kid, he could be groomed.  Being 28 the writing is almost on the wall.  I don't think many evovle after that point.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, danjr said:

Daaamn.  I didn't know anything about him.  If he was a kid, he could be groomed.  Being 28 the writing is almost on the wall.  I don't think many evovle after that point.

I found him to move way to much in his crease and way to aggressive and then u look at demko and martins movement completely  different

• Like 1