The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Preseason October 3, 2022 Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers 6:00pm PT at Rogers Place SN1 SN650AM

Rate this topic

Goal:thecup

1 minute ago, R3aL said:

Honestly that wasn’t a bad preseason performance considering the disparity in the lineups. It wasn’t horrible to watch either for the most part.

I was pleased with Wolanin and Lazar the most. 

wolanin is making the team I think or at least will be the first call up he was really showing what he brings tonight and I really appreciated it.

I know it’s preseason but he really showed well and was all over the ice, the score sheet and made a positive impact on the game I. A pretty hard position to stand out considering the lineups. 

Honestly don't see Wolanin making the team off the bat. Hasn't earned it yet. Probably will get seasoning in the AHL and then will be a call up. 

This is the line up I want to see going into the season (with Boeser injured):

Podkolzin-Miller-Garland

Mikheyev-Pettersson-Kuzmenko

Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander

Joshua-Lazar-Lockwood

Dickinson

OEL-Myers

Hughes-Schenn

Rathbone-Burroughs

Dermott

Demko

Martin

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

Everyone being hard on poolman it would be kind of silly to think he’d look ready to rock considering how much time he missed last year, and he didn’t resume training at full capacity till summer time. He’s got lots of rust and has to get his legs back.

not saying he’s going to be a stud or anything but we really don’t know what he is right now until he gets back in game shape.

It would be nice if he could start the year in abby 

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Muttley said:

I think Burroughs has more potential. Poolman probably will never be more then he is. 

Burroughs is 27 fwiw.  I think they like his physicality.  And Poolman, can he regain the form he had with Winnipeg?  We can't forget that in 5 years of pro hockey, Poolman has averaged only about 40 games a season.

• Vintage 2

1 minute ago, MikeyD said:

Honestly don't see Wolanin making the team off the bat. Hasn't earned it yet. Probably will get seasoning in the AHL and then will be a call up. 

Ya it depends on some things and how the next few games go.

but for sure he’s making an impression for an early call up 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

You know, we did lose all our preseason games prior to this, right? If we're going to make excuses like this for losing, at least have the spine to call it out as it is.

Yeah, Benning did a s*** job of our futures towards the end. Better? 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

The goalie did well.  Admirable.  Can tell he hasn't had the big league training though.  Some of his positioning was off.  His awareness was nowhere near an elite goalie.  A little small as well, but he had some great compete and some excellent reads.  Don't think he will ever be a starter, but he could be a decent third string, with enough developement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, JamesB said:

The game was a lot closer than the score suggests. Delia seem to give up in the last few minutes.

Lazar was excellent. He was very good on the PK. At 5-on-5 he was matched up mainly against Draisaitl and did well.  But the best line statistically and from what I saw was Dries, Podkolzin and Garland. That was despite being matched up against McDavid. Really liking Podz and Garland.

The other two lines struggled. The line of Stevens, Bains and Klimovich was crushed on the analytics and did not look competitive. The other line of Hoglander, Aman and Neilsen was not too bad but was still overmatched, although Hogz had a very nice PP goal.

On D the best guy was Wolanin. I really liked his game (even apart from the two assists). It is nice to see a D besides Hughes and OEL who can actually pass the puck cleanly to a teammate. He led the team in TOI, and deservedly so. He and Burroughs were good together and were the only pairing with a positive expected goals differnetial, despite being matched up mainly against McDavid I have him well ahead of DeK for the 4th spot at LD. He was certainly much better tonight. I think he has at least earned another look.

Not a great night for Brady Keeper. In addition to taking two bad penalties, he struggled overall. Also not a great night for Juulsen. I want him to do well, but he just looks like a career AHLer at this stage.

I see Delia as #4 on the depth chart in goal, behind Demko, Martin and Skilovs.

Agreeeee

8 minutes ago, danjr said:

The goalie did well.  Admirable.  Can tell he hasn't had the big league training though.  Some of his positioning was off.  His awareness was nowhere near an elite goalie.  A little small as well, but he had some great compete and some excellent reads.  Don't think he will ever be a starter, but he could be a decent third string, with enough developement.

I thought he started the game really well and kind of wore down as the game went on

• Cheers 3

I really like the look of the 4th line but Dickie better get a move on, he looked slow but he should be able to pick it up a bit but we need him to be his old self from Dallas or he won't play much. 

And Kuz? Can't wait to see him and Mick play together. 

I think people forget pre-season is mostly to see where the young guys a look to see how their progressing (or not) and slowly bring in regs to get them ready, and send down the rest. I'm not concerned at all, it's not like we're a team that's been playing together for years. 

People need to relax... 

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

Honestly that wasn’t a bad preseason performance considering the disparity in the lineups. It wasn’t horrible to watch either for the most part.

I was pleased with Wolanin and Lazar the most. 

wolanin is making the team I think or at least will be the first call up he was really showing what he brings tonight and I really appreciated it.

I know it’s preseason but he really showed well and was all over the ice, the score sheet and made a positive impact on the game I. A pretty hard position to stand out considering the lineups. 

We shall see if JR and PA got balls to just send Poolman down on waivers... The guy is so far behind and really needs time in AHL to work on basics again. No team will wanna claim him (sucks for us)!!

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

if the exercise to see who wins 6-7 defense spots

I think its Wolanin and Burroughs

if the exercise was to see who fills the #4 spot

I think it is still Schenn 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Chris12345 said:

But the Canucks aren't built to punish.

well im just saying enough of the guys getting pushed around and any cheap shots you your players to jump on the culprits but be smart about your actions..the canucks are going to have to show other teams if any skilled players are going to be smashed around that they will respond in manner that will make them think twice..thats the key hockey still ..it has never left the game nor will it ever, fighting has gone down but other parts of the game are still part of wining hockey..