The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Oct. 12, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

"Tanev would never lose coverage on McDavid"?!?  

McDavid had 12 points in 5 games against Calgary in the playoffs!  

He had 7 points in 4 regular season games against them last year. 

LOL i think that have more to do with markstrom.. he's absolutely terrible against the Oiler dating back to the days with the canucks.. in 30 career starts vs the oilers 15 of them he gives up 3 or more goals and 12 of them he gives up 4+ with a career save % of .901 against oilers lol

Wow.... Just finished watching the game. 

Thought Canucks deserved better. 

The non call on the Kane high stick to Hughes should have been a double minor. Instead Edmonton scores while Hughes is injured to make it 3-1.

No excuse though. Guys didn't bear down and finish. 

Man... Is special teams gonna kill us again this year?  How can they be so bad regardless of personnel? 

1 hour ago, EddieVedder said:

Miller was brutal.   Hughes is scared to play defense.   Poolman just stinks.  Dumb plays all game long by slow Boeser.

JT Miller had a lot of strong shifts, but then didn't maintain his intensity.  

Hughes had a rough game defensively.  You could tell that he was choked and frustrated with himself at the end of the game at the bench where he was fighting back tears while OEL was talking to him.  

Poolman had a good game.  I know that he flubbed one or two passes, but he also made lots of nice simple plays and joined the rush once or twice.  He was out there with OEL against McDavid's line.  Encouraging signs for me, so I disagree with you on that one.  

Boeser made a lot of nice plays early on both ends of the ice, but then disappeared halfway through the game.  

2 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

LOL i think that have more to do with markstrom.. he's absolutely terrible against the Oiler dating back to the days with the canucks.. in 30 career starts vs the oilers 15 of them he gives up 3 or more goals and 12 of them he gives up 4+ with a career save % of .901 against oilers lol

Tanev got banged up in the playoffs last year so that has to be factored in, but let's not pretend that there is some defenceman not named Makar that can come in and shut down McDavid.  

The guy's been tearing up the league year after year, he's the most dominant offensive player since...  I have no idea who.  

45 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Or, the rest of the league sees he’s effective in North America and he cashes in on free agency with another team 

That's one of the most pessimistic things you can think about after game 1 of the season lol 

1 hour ago, Darius said:

a 'core' player has to go to fix the defence.  you build from the net out.  

also why t fk have they started in edmonton 4 years in a row....on the road 4 years in a row....  i know..nit picking...but someone needs to bark at the schedule maker.

I completely agree with both points here. 

Just now, VancouverHabitant said:

That's one of the most pessimistic things you can think about after game 1 of the season lol 

Has nothing to do with the outcome of the game.  I think he’s going to be very good for Vancouver this year and then look to get paid in free agency.  Just need to enjoy it while the Canucks have him. 

4 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Has nothing to do with the outcome of the game.  I think he’s going to be very good for Vancouver this year and then look to get paid in free agency.  Just need to enjoy it while the Canucks have him. 

Trade him for a couple of first rounders...and start the rebuild

1 hour ago, DefCon1 said:

Brock trade will bring us a good top 4 D...a legit NHL dman that can defend and then we would use that cap space for Kuzmenko who seems more potent and faster than Boeser. Besides Canucks have so many wingers with Garland, Kuzmenko, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Pearson, Karlsson, Klimovich etc. that Boeser is just redundant at this point.

Yeah, if Brock signs for 5-5.5M, i say he's worth keeping around for that price point. But at 6M+, I don't think he's worth that. He's also injury prone - doesn't have the ability to remain healthy. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Darius said:

a 'core' player has to go to fix the defence.  you build from the net out.  

also why t fk have they started in edmonton 4 years in a row....on the road 4 years in a row....  i know..nit picking...but someone needs to bark at the schedule maker.

Canucks from top to bottom so passive. They're not going to bark. 

Stagnant PP it needs more movement, which has been said for years.  Their 1st PP was probably their best, they were snapping the puck around and then it reverted back.  Not much you can do on the PK goals against except win the draw and gain control of the puck.  So not sure yet if there's been any change on the PK or if we are going to go back to the passive box.

• Cheers 1

Positives:

Kuzmenko - first NHL goal. Happy for him.

Demko - this game was not his fault, not at all.

Pettersson - drew a couple of penalties, scored a goal, looked dangerous

Miller - scored a goal

Negatives:

Powerplay - just awful

Allowed a shorthanded goal

Too many 'fancy' moves/overpassing

At least two whiffed grade A chances

Most players were invisible

Hughes didn't have a great game

Bad missed call by the ref, but that wasn't the sole reason for why we lost.

Blown three goal lead

• Cheers 1