The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Oct. 12, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

BROCK WAS SLOW AND JUST NOT HIS OLD BROCK..I THINK IF BROCK CAN PLAY LIKE HE DID HIS FIRST TWO YWAES HE WILL BE BETTER AS A PLAYER...I REMEMBER A GAME VS PENGUINS HE GOT A HAT TRICK ..WELL THAT KIND OF GAME HE WAS IN THE RIGHT SPOTS ALL THE TIME HIS SHOT WAS VERY CRISP AND THE ABILITY TO SEE OPEN ICE AND BE THERE WAS MUCH BETTER...I THINK HE WILL GET GOING SOON...

• Huggy Bear 1
  • There it is 1

Just now, hockeygod77 said:

BROCK WAS SLOW AND JUST NOT HIS OLD BROCK..I THINK IF BROCK CAN PLAY LIKE HE DID HIS FIRST TWO YEARS HE WILL BE BETTER AS A PLAYER...I REMEMBER A GAME VS PENGUINS HE GOT A HAT TRICK ..WELL THAT KIND OF GAME HE WAS IN THE RIGHT SPOTS ALL THE TIME HIS SHOT WAS VERY CRISP AND THE ABILITY TO SEE OPEN ICE AND BE THERE WAS MUCH BETTER...I THINK HE WILL GET GOING SOON...

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Chronic.Canuck said:

Well I missed the game cause my band was playing a show but good to see CDC is in midseason despair about.... 60 minutes into the season

Well to be fair this was a complete collapse for the team. And for a team that still need to prove themselves, the criticism on the team is warranted.

I mean if we keep saying "it's only pre-season" to "it's only the first game" if the (or I guess the team) isn't careful the hole is going to get way to deep to climb out of (just like the first 25 games last season). 

Some will argue "what about the slow starts of the 2009 to 2012 core?" And I would probably say well this core has proven they can get it done and, at least, make it to the playoffs. This core hasn't proven that yet.

Edited by iinatcc

5 hours ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Wow. Guy has played 85% of all games he's been eligible for since signing an NHL contract 6 years ago (325/381). Plays a career average of 70 out of 82 games over a full season while putting up 0.788 PPG and that just isn't good enough for people.

He's a big reason why we lost today. He's not the player he was in his rookie season. He's has a major injury that requires a surgery and misses a chunk of camp every year. 

So yeah. He doesn't move the needle. 

7 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Good game by the boys overall, but a couple of mistakes cost us and McDavid took advantage.  

Annoying way to lose as we were dominating them until Hughes got high-sticked, they scored, and we missed Hughes and played with 5 d-men for most of the 2nd period.  

Lots of standouts on our team:  Kuzmenko, Petey, JT, Pearson, OEL, Poolman, Garland, and Podz all had very strong games.  We held them to very little 5 on 5, but they destroyed our special teams. 

If we play 5 on 5 with them we clean there clocks. Their mojo comes from influencing the calls. Our 2nd period they hurt our best player and go all in, no mercy. We could use Mik on our pk when he gets back, his speed. We let our foot off the gas, we we're overconfident with the lead. Making pretty passes, trying to be the Oilers. We're not the Oilers. We have to get that killer instinct when we have the lead. Even a 5 goal lead with 2 periods left isn't safe with these numnuts. We need Myers back. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

5 hours ago, x00x said:

I just want Bedard, wish we could tank for him and imagine if the hockey gods allowed is to get a 1st round, bedard would be our version of mcdavid , imagine, we can dream right?

While Bettman is holding our lottery balls,  don't think so.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

While Bettman is holding our lottery balls,  don't think so.

In my wildest dream, Arizona wins the lottery and Bedard refuses to play for them, giving a big fat finger to Bettman in the process.  Honestly, why would a franchise player want to play for a franchise in such limbo and empty stands.

• Cheers 2

54 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

It's the fan's fault.

You all wern't ready.

Unacceptable. The season has started. I'm going to need you all to focus just a little bit more.

That and I need to stop laughing at Toronto fans for their teams blowing leads....

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Well to be fair this was a complete collapse for the team. And for a team that still need to prove themselves, the criticism on the team is warranted.

I mean if we keep saying "it's only pre-season" to "it's only the first game" if the (or I guess the team) isn't careful the hole is going to get way to deep to climb out of (just like the first 25 games last season). 

Some will argue "what about the slow starts of the 2009 to 2012 core?" And I would probably say well this core has proven they can get it done and, at least, make it to the playoffs. This core hasn't proven that yet.

Well i can also say, the Linden teams, we're like getting an automatic by to the second  round.   Something those Sedin teams did what?  3 times and wasn't our best forward on the 3rd line vs Turco still Linden?   So one other time plus 2011 on there own... yikes!

Still being waiting, an awfully long time, to have a team that like Lindens steps it up in the only season that really matters,..But at least the Sedin teams got is there all the time (and Luongo did too!).   The bubble was a salad, a good one, because they acted a lot like the early 90's teams did.  And the young guy s did their job and some.   I'd like  to see the main  course now please,   No more excuses.   Time to sink together or swim together,   Hope it's not some pool laps but that stuff like putting  lard on your skin and swimming to the US or across the English channel.  No more pussyfooting it.   Time is now.  Or time to trade and re/set this. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 2

They got worked by (arguably) the two  of the best players in the world who took advantage of our PK which has been bad for a while now.  Opening night for them in their own barn, it was hard to believe they would not put on a show given their track record of basically dominating the league (stat wise) for the past years.

Our star players had multiple power plays to put the game away and couldnt do it.  The shorty was a dagger...the result of nonchalant plays and decision making.

I think they can make the playoffs if they fix the PK .  The 5 v 5 offence should be able to bail them out most nights ...even with the underwhelming D core.

That said can we get away from playing Alberta teams on opening night .  I think the last time that happened was 2013.  

• Cheers 2

36 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

If we play 5 on 5 with them we clean there clocks. Their mojo comes from influencing the calls. Our 2nd period they hurt our best player and go all in, no mercy. We could use Mik on our pk when he gets back, his speed. We let our foot off the gas, we we're overconfident with the lead. Making pretty passes, trying to be the Oilers. We're not the Oilers. We have to get that killer instinct when we have the lead. Even a 5 goal lead with 2 periods left isn't safe with these numnuts. We need Myers back. 

We outplayed them and don't have Myers.   You know the guy on "most teams at best is Stecher plus a big neck According to some maybe not when Burroughs.   Sure the same guys who were crying over maybe losing Gaunce (the next Toews!)   good grief it's just one game. 

well that was fun wasnt it?

The first period im not sure whether we had the jump or the Oilers werent ready.

Special teams killed us again. How long did the Oilers take on three of their four power plays to score? not very long. We need better. Plain and simple. The PK was dreadful again. It wasnt Demkos fault especially on the winner where he made the first save but he could have been better. We needed a save on a couple of those goals.

The Power play was sad. Not that it didnt move the puck well. we didnt finish...again. As bad as it was to give up the three goal lead, it was worse the way we played the second half of the game. We looked like a team at the end of a 5 game road trip not the beginning. Gassed.

Miller and Horvat had breakaways that could have changed the game. Score on one of those it really changes the mix.The Kuz pass to Miller and im not really sure what happened there but usually thats in the back of the net. Score there and that changes the outcome.Too many power play shots with no one in front of the goalie. Kuzmenko looked great last night but if he is going to be on the Power play standing to the side and trying to deflect the puck isnt going to get it done in this league. Easy saves for Campbell when they hit him in the crest.

Boeser playing his first game this year looked poor He definitely ran out of gas and looked super slow. He didnt bring the A game last night. Hopefully that gets better.

Pettersson looks great, Kuzmenko looks as advertised. Podkolzin has to stop trying to go through everyone alone.Miller up and down. Like i said bury the breakaway and things look different. I thought OEL looked good. Schenn also.Stillman wasnt too bad from what I saw.

The good

Garland-Skated well all night looked dangerous a number of times

Kuzmenko-made plays scored first goal. Miller let him down on the great pass.

Petey looks ready for a good year

OEL - looked good 5v5,

The bad

Miller-Scored a great goal then disappeared. Needs to be consistent. up and down.

Demko-need better or this team will not compete

Hughes- despite being high sticked has to be better defensively.

Hoglander has to be a force or he will be in Abby once Mik gets back., invisible most of the game

Pearson-two penalties, no goals

Poolman, you are not Bobby Orr stay in your own end and play defense

The power play. 1/8 and gave up another short handed goal. These kill your team.This has to be better

The ugly

Horvat. Looked slow and no emotion. No response for the hit on Hughes. Missed on the breakaway chance. 51% on faceoffs.

Boeser,- i know its his first game but he has had all the excuses before. If he is going to be in the lineup he has to play better than that

The penalty kill is atrocious. It doesnt seem to matter who we trot out we cannot kill penalties. this was the difference in the game ad one player will not fix it

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Darius said:

They got worked by (arguably) the two  of the best players in the world who took advantage of our PK which has been bad for a while now.  Opening night for them in their own barn, it was hard to believe they would not put on a show given their track record of basically dominating the league (stat wise) for the past years.

Our star players had multiple power plays to put the game away and couldnt do it.  The shorty was a dagger...the result of nonchalant plays and decision making.

I think they can make the playoffs if they fix the PK .  The 5 v 5 offence should be able to bail them out most nights ...even with the underwhelming D core.

That said can we get away from playing Alberta teams on opening night .  I think the last time that happened was 2013.  

Outplayed the Oilers 5 on 5 too. Just special teams letting us down yet again.

The D was actually pretty good, Poolman had a surprisingly good game, even guys like Schenn weren't getting walked around by McDavid on rushes. (And he still had 3)

FWDs really let us down, Miller / Horvat with grade A chances, Petey on the PP. They better get things into gear quick.

Edmonton is so lucky to have McDavid & Draisaitl. They really aren't a contender aside from just having those 2. Their Dcore is overrated & they get worked anytime McD isn't on the ice.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, -DLC- said:

This is exactly how I feel about things.

Some people ONLY see a blown 3-0 lead but Hughes injury was definitely the game changer and turning point. Things would've been different had that been called.

It was rightfully pointed out that the Oiler PP finished Van off. That said the overall tenor of the game was positive for the Canucks. Fans should think about the start last year a tad. This roster has a lot of upside. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2