The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Philadelphia Flyers | Oct. 15, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I don't know I don't think that group was all together either. They faced adversity and no one stepped up. Kess tried for one series. They were just as shaky and nearly lost the series before they made it to the final. I don't think Kess and the Sedins were on the same page either, similar to Miller and Bo.

They did pretty well so you can't deny that something was working. Not in how it ended...but overall in the success that group found together.

I got to see a lot of up close and personal stuff and saw none of that.

I believe what you're referring to is what ANY team encounters when they're struggling. It just becomes tense and the frustration starts to mount.

But I don't know that the Sedins had ANY issues with other players stepping into roles of leadership. In fact, I know they didn't.

Just now, stawns said:

I like Hughes, but I don't see the fire that Petey has.

Agreed. IF Horvat is traded, I'd honestly run with no captain until someone steps up and forces the subject. I think Petey is the guy, and when he's playing well he leads the team by example. Many nights he's the hardest working player on the ice (outside Demko). But consistency is still a huge issue with him. He may need time to organically grow into the leader this team needs.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sometimes you play down to the level of your linemates.  With Podkolzin and Garland I am hoping this re-energizes Miller and allows him not to have to be the guy on the line trying to do too much.

Miller had great chemistry with Podkolzin last year and Podz is great defensively as well so he can definitely help Miller out in that regard.  The proof is in the pudding though, so I guess we will find out tomorrow what kind of difference his new linemates make to his overall game...

I agree, I loved Garland with Miller last season........ Garland is a great play driver and can take some of that responsibility from Miller.  I'd rather see Pidz with Petey and Kuz though

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

If Horvat goes, it's gotta be Petey.  This is his team after Bo, imo.

I honestly wouldn't even give Miller a letter......not because he isn't a leader, but because I think it adds an extra element of pressure I don't think he needs.

I believe this is the plan.  I am sure Allvin wants Petey to be the captain.  Miller knows that Petey is the star.  Kinda like Gretzky and Messier...

5 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

There is no easy solution. Benning left a huge hole in our defence. Couldn’t seem to draft it either, had his chances but whiffed. The kind of defensemen we need will not be easy to pry away. 

I think people are being to hard on JR and co. The tight cap makes it hard as hell to move any asset. 

I agree, they played their hand and have decided JT is worth keeping over Bo. They need to resolve this situation and balance the team out asap. It should not have gone into the regular season. No reason to drag this out. Horvat plus picks or prospects will get us a decent defenseman in return…one would think.

Even tho JT has stunk to start, I still like his passion. Made no excuses and said exactly what everyone thinks…a guy like that will fight to get out of that funk…Horvat…another vanilla “this is unacceptable speech”…holy crap am I tired of hearing that from him. At least Miller owns his shit.

Yup, I wanted to trade Miller but the brass decided to keep him. Hand played. So now we must pivot. We have to get rid of Horvat if we can hopefully find a good return. We can't just keep handing out big bucks when we're against the cap. We need a 3c and at least one RD for now.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Agreed. IF Horvat is traded, I'd honestly run with no captain until someone steps up and forces the subject. I think Petey is the guy, and when he's playing well he leads the team by example. Many nights he's the hardest working player on the ice (outside Demko). But consistency is still a huge issue with him. He may need time to organically grow into the leader this team needs.

If he's not ready, leadership by committee is probably the best plan.  However, Petey has a drive that elite players have and I think he's poised to take the next step into the upper echelon of players

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

They did pretty well so you can't deny that something was working. Not in how it ended...but overall in the success that group found together.

I got to see a lot of up close and personal stuff and saw none of that.

I believe what you're referring to is what ANY team encounters when they're struggling. It just becomes tense and the frustration starts to mount.

But I don't know that the Sedins had ANY issues with other players stepping into roles of leadership. In fact, I know they didn't.

Considering how that season went I truly had very high expectations when the playoffs came around. That PP during the regular season almost scored at will. 

During the playoffs they played tentative and almost looked nervous to make a mistake, there was no swagger to their game at all. Even when they were leading the finals at 2-0 they lost their confidence and played that tentative game for the rest of the series. 

Is that leadership? or something else? I don't know.

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

I agree, I loved Garland with Miller last season........ Garland is a great play driver and can take some of that responsibility from Miller.  I'd rather see Pidz with Petey and Kuz though

Yes, unlike Boeser Garland can drive play which means that Miller doesn't have to do all of the work on that line.  I would also like to see Podkolzin play with Petey and Kuzy.  That is my dream #1 line.  I think Mikheyev could work well playing with Miller as he has the speed to help out defensively when Miller makes those no look passes.  Mikheyev can get back quickly defensively which allows Miller to have more confidence in his game.

Also, in terms of matchup you can put Miller on to matchup with Mckinnon and McDavid knowing that Mikheyev is on that line to support him, which frees up the Petey line...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Upvote 2
  • There it is 1

19 hours ago, rekker said:

Can't put it in terms of a second game. It's the carry over of roughly 8 years of crap. It looks the same. It could get real ugly in a hurry. 

Totally agree cause even the pursuant of Horvat, will only keep JBs' roster intact - with all its flaws & strength.  Imo, the Canucks should be selling and not retooling - but to their peril cause this roster, is starting to look stale - despite Kuz & Mikh.  

19 hours ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

Define better? Philly got a short handed goal on us. We're 1/13 on the PP.

Did we pass the puck around more and have more puck possession - yes, but too much of that and not enough shots on net for rebounds.

So more of the same - a team with a roster full of highly paid, players on their retirement deals.  Preferably, the Canucks become a seller, starting this year - smh

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, stawns said:

The return and cap flexibility was a big part of it for me, but I also don't subscribe to this myth people have built around Miller.  He can be dominant, he definitely gets his points, but he's also lazy and disinterested a lot of the time and he drags the team down with him when he is.  To me, he's not worth the salary or the term length.

They had a chance to re-shspe the org with two moves and they opened the vault for both players instead and now it's the same ol, same ol

Yeah, in my opinion a top notch elite forward should be able to create goal scoring opportunities without sacrificing the team defensively in order to do so. Most players that get this kind of money are not defensive liabilities. He reminds me of Phil Kessel. Super talented and a great player to add to any team but he's more of a tertiary scorer with the way he defends.

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

If Horvat goes I think you wait & see if someone grabs the captaincy.

Horvat is sort of a spokesman for the team, I think in our market having an even keel is important for being able to be in that position, I wouldn't rush someone into it.

This is a good point, we don't have a good track record for being patient in the past. Messier? Our Goalie? 

• Haha 1