The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Washington Capitals | Oct. 17, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Like I said in the last PGT, it's not that we lost, it's how we lost.

Where is the effort in the third?

Other than Petey, what player is single handedly trying their best to will us to a win?

He stinks. Flopping in both zones on the last goal. Phenomenal ringette player I imagine though

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

This cannot be tolerated any longer. I am just speechless how the players have allowed things to be this bad, 3 games into the season. 

This is on the players, and I dont have patience anymore to see this through with the same core of players. 

See the trade Miller trade thread for people that know hockey.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, klw604 said:

Burroughs had a decent game, but can't play him more then 10-12 minutes a game, same goes for Schenn, there playing way too many minutes

We don't have a pair of defenders to close out games when it matters the most !

OEL is by far the best defender on the team, 

Hughes - All Offense zero defense

Schenn

Burroughs

- Bottom pairing, depth players, we can't play them more then 3rd pair minutes

Stillman - been 3 games and I haven't noticed him, which is a good thing

Juulsen - solid game, still another bottom pairing depth player, that can skate and has size

The defense is atrocious !

We are severely missing Myers. People love to hate him on here, but the guy just eats up tough minutes.

But even with him, this team is short of a Top4 RHD; this is no surprise! Hamonic screwed us over last year. Our only savings grace is that Schenn overplayed and saved our ass. We can’t expect that out of him again; he’s just a really good 5/6 dman.

Hughes is a top pairing dman, when he is able to play sheltered minutes with the right partner. Not a big deal, we just need to manage that. He is not Makar.

OEL is a great 2nd pairing guy. Though Myers is not his perfect match, they are functional together and ate a ton of tough minutes last year.

the rest of the guys are 7-8 dmen on a competent team.

Allvin and JR need to get off their asses and do what they said was a priority; fix the D! Signing and trading for a bunch of 7-8th dmen is not fixing….just wastes money and time. Go out and make a bloody trade for a top 4 dman! 

Beoser, 1st, Karlsson for chychrun

5 minutes ago, J-23 said:

This team has no girt and heart. No Burr, Kes, Juice type of players. Just a group of guys making lazy plays and giving up, feeling sorry for themselves.

So sad. Feeling sorry for themselves three games in. You think Crosby feels sorry for himself when he has a bad game. You think Mackinnon feels sorry for himself. We have a terrible collection of leaders is what it is. Their professionalism is nonexistent.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

6 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

Get a good coach for PP, and PK. Letting shaw go for yeo and Cull is killing us 

Yes, we are really missing Brad Shaw. 

I thought Rutherford wanted a team that was hard to play against? The answer: Get Dakota Joshua, an energy player who can't skate!

But hey, at least we have players who have cute pets, are nice to the media, and do things in the community!

Gonna be that guy, this is exactly why re signing Miller wasn't the best option. Re signing Miller made sense if we were going to push and challenge for a long playoff push and cup run. We all know damn well this isn't the team that's going to do that. But I guess it was playoffs or bust. If we don't do that (it's early still) that contract is a giant anchor....but as Canucks fans we're used to that. I think they will turn it around....but they are still a fringe playoff team. We don't have the depth, top end talent or blueline to even dream of competing for the cup. 

Said it last year and it's still relevant....if Demko doesn't play hero this team struggles to Win games.

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, klw604 said:

Burroughs had a decent game, but can't play him more then 10-12 minutes a game, same goes for Schenn, there playing way too many minutes

We don't have a pair of defenders to close out games when it matters the most !

OEL is by far the best defender on the team, 

Hughes - All Offense zero defense

Schenn

Burroughs

- Bottom pairing, depth players, we can't play them more then 3rd pair minutes

Stillman - been 3 games and I haven't noticed him, which is a good thing

Juulsen - solid game, still another bottom pairing depth player, that can skate and has size

The defense is atrocious !

OEL is - 3 Schenn is +5. playing more then 3rd pair minutes....That is all.

Just now, diesel_3 said:

I thought Rutherford wanted a team that was hard to play against? The answer: Get Dakota Joshua, an energy player who can't skate!

But hey, at least we have players who have cute pets, are nice to the media, and do things in the community!

Watch us trade our first for Ryan Reaves now.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

He was actually the only one backchecking on that line.  Blame Boeser and Horvat, Pearson was the only one hustling tonight. 

Horvat & Miller given such little effort defensively its exasperating. 

Don't want to hear JT talk about 'focusing on defensive play' or Bo compared to guys like Couturier ever again. 

6 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Like I said in the last PGT, it's not that we lost, it's how we lost.

Where is the effort in the third?

Other than Petey, what player is single handedly trying their best to will us to a win?

I would add Garland to that list. He was flying out there all game.  

Just now, whcanuck said:

We can’t keep saying it’s the defensive coach or the PP coach, fire this guy or that guy, it’s the damn players. They aren’t performing or just flat out aren’t good enough to win hockey games at this level

Joking about the similiarites to the 2021 Green Canucks aside - I feel, from watching them in 5v5 at least, they are pretty well coached. Not getting caved in their own end anymore like under green, can actually cycle the puck and support the puck carrier pretty well, lots of shot through.  

They just switch off - don't give consistent energy, can't raise their game when it matters - this is on the core players not the BB IMO. 

Not sure what's up with special teams - that should have been a 4-2 hockey game to us, but can't even kill 10 secs of a pen anymore. :picard:

I still think they will come good again eventually - but were already digging a pretty deep hole and our playoff rivals are putting up lots of points - can't see us making it again this year, even if it is only 3 games in.