The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Columbus Blue Jackets | Oct. 18, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

14 minutes ago, gurn said:

I actually kind of wondered if Garland was being traded, finding out that was BB's decision troubles me. 

Garland has played better than a lot of the guys, and should not have been the guy sat out. 

Hope not!!! I've waited this long to see some decent offensive depth!! Sure we are in a bad slump but at least we are producing goals!! Each time we are at least given hopes of winning!!

In past few seasons, we were already over and out after the first period countless times!! 

Bruce just needs to figure out a plan to shut down opponents when we have a two goal lead!!

I'm not giving up hopes yet... Poolman seems like he'll get better and stronger soon. Kuzmenko and Mikeyhev will do fine... Bruce should consider bringing up Di Giuseppe to rotate with Joshua 'cause PDG got a lot of heart and hussle and Joshua hasn't convinced me yet!!

1 minute ago, LucBourdon28 said:

The core guys in this organization want to succeed and win, that’s evident imo. Management needs to provide them a stronger supporting cast. Allvin & co made strides this off season, but it’s still a work in progress. Im preaching patience.

Huh? the supporting cast is fine. That is why they are called the supporting cast. The core guys need to step up. But the thing is, our core guys are 2nd liners on most teams. So we are forcing square pegs into round holes.

• Sad 1

I said it in the GDT, Bruce is leaning on Hughes too hard and congrats, we've burned him out already. Another 27 minutes tonight and he's exhausted. We've got a stud in OEL who can log big minutes, we've got to share them around.

Props to Bo and Petey who stepped up but Miller's garbage yet again. At least Bruce dropped his minutes but still gets scored on.

I want to see Bruce put his balls on the line - scratch Miller, I bet we win.

2 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

Huh? the supporting cast is fine. That is why they are called the supporting cast. The core guys need to step up. But the thing is, our core guys are 2nd liners on most teams. So we are forcing square pegs into round holes.

Assuming the core guys are:

Pettersson: 1st liner

Horvat: 2nd liner

Miller: 1st/2nd tweener 

Hughes: top pair

Demko: #1 

Its definitely the supporting cast. 

The Canucks have had 2 goal leads in every game this season. They are not that bad, they just need to learn to not press the panic button as soon as they get out in front. I'm not going to lose hope just yet. They might even end up being pretty good this season.

And honestly, taken out of context, that was a fun game to watch and a pretty solid effort with a couple key mistakes. If that was the first game of the season, I don't think anyone would be that upset. I really do think this run of games is an aberration and things will return to normal soon. Hopefully really soon.

I just did some quick math. The historical odds of winning a game when scoring the first two goals are about 80%, with a 20% chance of losing. Over a 5 game stretch, that's only a 0.032% chance of losing every game after scoring the first two goals. There's a reason they set an NHL record tonight. It's literally nearly inconceivable that they blow a 2-goal lead again next game!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

56 minutes ago, Devron said:

Horvat was great all over the ice. There were positives today. Miller though I can’t really say anything good right now. 

And then jumps at a puck he had no chance of getting, leading to the OT goal. Low IQ plays killing the season so far.

Someone needs to teach Hughes how to block a pass across on a 2 on 1. He's been beat on every single one he's faced so far. Not good enough.

Edited by Duodenum
  • Sad 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

And then jumps at a puck he had no chance of getting, leading to the OT goal. Low IQ plays killing the season so far.

Someone needs to teach Hughes how to block a pass across on a 2 on 1. He's been beat on every single one he's faced so far. Not good enough.

That was Hoglander. OT is a crap shoot anyway. I don’t really blame players in OT, sometimes you take a chance and it doesn’t work out otherwise it’s just a cycle back into your end over and over again. Then it goes too a shootout. And those just suck. 

Hope your doing well JB 

2 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

Would it leave a hole though?

Im sure we can find a 3c who is good at face offs for less than 7.5mill.  
Also, Bo sucks defensively. Sure he gets deployed there a lot, but we lose a lot of games….

Bo is a great player, but with Petey emerging as a number 1 this season, Bo can be replaced with a defensive minded 3c for fairly cheap.  

Petey will never be a #1 center until he learns to win faceoffs.  3 - 16 today is pathetic. Lost every offensive zone faceoff he was put out in (0 for 5)

He is probably better suited as a winger

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, davidgoliath said:

You’re joking right?

Boeser 6’1” and 94 kg but plays “smaller” and softer than Garland. Actually Garland doesn’t play soft but you can’t expect him to be running at guys.

LOL

2 hours ago, Muttley said:

Quite likely the freaking schedule. Was always going to be a crappy way to start a season. What did Gary Betman's asst. say when they walked out of the building 

in 2011?

Vancouver, historically, always had a more challenging travel schedule than most teams. So I don't think that's it. Plus last season Canucks started on a 6 game road trip which got better results than this season (3-2-1) it was during the first home games where things started falling apart last year. 

So I don't think it's the schedule (of course it doesn't help) and neither is the coaching (since Canucks already did a coaching change). 

At the end of the day we have admit problem is with the players on the team. Maybe it's the players or maybe it's the chemistry, the team just isn't good enough. After this poor start and 2 seasons missing the playoffs, we have conclude it's the roster. 

• Vintage 1