The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Minnesota Wild | Oct. 20, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

40 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

I completely disagree that no one gives Brock a 6.65 million dollar contract. Infact I think most GM's in the league sign that same deal in the summer if they aren't planning on trading the player. He has 260 points in 329 career games, that contract is by no means unreasonable, at all. Thompson got a higher AAV with a less pp. There is nothing wrong with Brocks contract, in the same summer.

No, I'm not saying Alvin made the best of a bed situations. He played Brock market value for the player.

I'm saying that no one in their right mind would possibly think letting JG walk would be concidered good asset management. You are literally the first person I have seen make that argument.

If the Boeser contract was good 4 months ago, it should still be good now, which means he should be tradable without a sweetener or retention- we'll see

Some think the Ferland deal was also reasonable, I don't

What do you think about Colorado and their asset management concerning Nazim Kadri?

Calgary thought they were in league with Colo for a cup run, that makes a difference to how you deal with impending FAs.

Being on an improbable run to squeak into the playoffs is not the same as being a Cup contender

Horvat is in the same situation as Gudreau, we will see what Alvin comes up with, A trade, a seasonable contract, ( I'm not counting in that) or an unreasonable contract or maybe he walks

For the record, I am glad we didn't sign Kadri to that deal

Edited by lmm
  • Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, lmm said:

If the Boeser contract was good 4 months ago, it should still be good now, which means he should be tradable without a sweetener or retention- we'll see

Some think the Ferland deal was also reasonable, I don't

What do you think about Colorado and their asset management concerning Nazim Kadri?

Calgary thought they were in league with Colo for a cup run, that makes a difference to how you deal with impending FAs.

Being on an improbable run to squeak into the playoffs is not the same as being a Cup contender

Horvat is in the same situation as Gudreau, we will see what Alvin comes up with, A trade, a seasonable contract, ( I'm not counting in that) or an unreasonable contract

For the record, I am glad we didn't sign Kadri to that deal

A sweetner? Well... Duh. Boeser still has value. Guy missed preseason, and is clearly a step behind and still isn't playing nearly as bad as other players in our top 6.

Colorado did fine, they won a cup with Kadri. You don't need to worry about asset management when your franchise has an embarrassment of riches even after winning the cup. I think the Kadri deal will age poorly, same way I feel about the JT Miller contract.

If for whatever reason Horvat walks to FA in the summer, and we don't trade him before he does that it would be a monumental failure and should result in the entire brass looking for a new job.

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

I completely disagree that no one gives Brock a 6.65 million dollar contract. Infact I think most GM's in the league sign that same deal in the summer if they aren't planning on trading the player. He has 260 points in 329 career games, that contract is by no means unreasonable, at all. Thompson got a higher AAV with a less pp. There is nothing wrong with Brocks contract, in the same summer.

No, I'm not saying Alvin made the best of a bed situations. He played Brock market value for the player.

I'm saying that no one in their right mind would possibly think letting JG walk would be concidered good asset management. You are literally the first person I have seen make that argument.

Because that argument can be made now in hindsight, that’s why.

Treliving could have easily been handcuffed if Tkachuk pulled the same act as JG. Luckily the timing was perfect for CGY/FLA to link up.

2 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

The sad thing is we were sold that the Canucks had 3 strong lines (9/10 forwards deep) but when push come to shove and we’re desperate for wins Bruce completely sells out and does exactly what he said he wouldn’t do.  

He keeps over playing his older struggling vets like Miller and Pearson, giving them too much ice time while his best performing players like Garland and Podkolzin he sits out, in Podz case only give him 12 mins in the game.  That’s no deploying 3 lines evenly.  That was supposed to be our strength but Bruce bailed at the first sight of adversity.  

The worst thing Management did was make Bruce a lame duck coach.  He’s tight, he’s coaching his team tight and his team is playing tight and not in a good way.  Stick with what was successful for tue second half of last year and STAY with it.  

Podz himself said he couldn't believe how Miller could play 22-26 minutes a game down during their late season push, yet was sucking wind himself with his 14 or so minutes... there is a reason Bruce went with what he did - and don't see much point in armchair coaching this.   We have 25% of the data, and 2% of the tools to work with. 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

The sad thing is we were sold that the Canucks had 3 strong lines (9/10 forwards deep) but when push come to shove and we’re desperate for wins Bruce completely sells out and does exactly what he said he wouldn’t do.  

He keeps over playing his older struggling vets like Miller and Pearson, giving them too much ice time while his best performing players like Garland and Podkolzin he sits out, in Podz case only give him 12 mins in the game.  That’s no deploying 3 lines evenly.  That was supposed to be our strength but Bruce bailed at the first sight of adversity.  

The worst thing Management did was make Bruce a lame duck coach.  He’s tight, he’s coaching his team tight and his team is playing tight and not in a good way.  Stick with what was successful for tue second half of last year and STAY with it.  

Podz himself said he couldn't believe how Miller could play 22-26 minutes a game  during their late season push, yet was sucking wind himself with his 12- 14 or so minutes (he's never played even close to that many games before) ... there is a reason Bruce went with what he did - and don't see much point in armchair coaching this.   We have at best 50% of the data, and 2% of the tools to work with. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

A sweetner? Well... Duh. Boeser still has value. Guy missed preseason, and is clearly a step behind and still isn't playing nearly as bad as other players in our top 6.

Colorado did fine, they won a cup with Kadri. You don't need to worry about asset management when your franchise has an embarrassment of riches even after winning the cup. I think the Kadri deal will age poorly, same way I feel about the JT Miller contract.

If for whatever reason Horvat walks to FA in the summer, and we don't trade him before he does that it would be a monumental failure and should result in the entire brass looking for a new job.

well I think you are over-valuing Brock, 

but I agree with the rest of that

I think Calgary felt that they were close to Colorado, but a first round exit has to sting

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lmm said:

well I think you are over-valuing Brock, 

but I agree with the rest of that

I think Calgary felt that they were close to Colorado, but a first round exit has to sting

I think your dramatically undervaluing Boeser. Guy is currently 4th on the team in scoring while being the only player in our top 5 of scoring not getting pp1 time.

Of course it did. They were also under the impression Johnny was going to resign. They got unlucky, and got screwed. I'm not crying into my beer for them though.

Edited by Shayster007
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Why bring his family life into this?  I dont know about the rest of you but im so tired of hearing about players families.  This should be completely irrelevant. You never heard about all this excess family crap back in the 80s, 90s or 00s.  

Btw, Stetcher and Markstrom both peformed like warriors while they lost their fathers.   

I agree..missing his wife and kids is no excuse..he's a pro athlete and it's his job..

Comparing that to losing one of your parents though is just wrong..totally incomparable..