The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Hurricanes trade Ethan Bear, Lane Pederson to Canucks for 2023 5th-round pick

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I just don't get why some people get riled up when people choose to look for the upside of a move. But I guess some people get more energy from always looking for the downside. It is what it is. 

Thing is  a lot of 'upsiders' spend a great deal of time calling out the 'haters'

To me most 'haters' seem to say their piece, but don't carp on the pom pom folk- at least not as much as the other way around.

But do go on and keep trying to install your version of what a fan should be.

• Vintage 1

I think this is a fine return for a 5th. We really needed another capable body on D, and this provides it. 

And as a secondary upside, we now have 3 guys who will be called "Pederson" by the announcers. I just can't wait for:

"Elias Pettersson to Pederson, to Pettersson and back to Pettersson and he{Pettersson} scores!!!!"

Edited by kloubek
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The problem with Bear as a 3rd RHD is he needs to be qualified at $2.2 million in the summer to retain him.  Are we going to be paying a 3rd pairing Dman $2.2 million?  

That is not true, and not how QO's work.  

Remember Boeser's?

59 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Try to add something of substance. Or not. 

Spot on! I have been overly blunt / crossed lines at times and it’s something I don’t like to do…honestly regret it mostly, but the toxicity / negativity from some is overwhelming and makes it very hard to enjoy this forum! I love the Canucks / hockey and sometimes it’s an escape from a lot of horrible stuff me & my family have dealt with the last few years…I come on here to read & maybe discuss the Canucks / hockey and it’s consumed with a handful of peoples constant / consistent negativity / toxic garbage! It sucks, because it makes me & I would assume others struggle to enjoy it. 

Edited by IRR
  • Cheers 1

Just now, gurn said:

Thing is  a lot of 'upsiders' spend a great deal of time calling out the 'haters'

To me most 'haters' seem to say their piece, but don't carp on the pom pom folk- at least not as much as the other way around.

But do go on and keep trying to install your version of what a fan should be.

I'm not installing anything, I don't care what you do. 

But yes CDC does have a negativity issue, people are still whinging about Gillis.

• Cheers 1

Just now, HorvatToBaertschi said:

You are. Management does something to help our team with all its injuries and you complain. Like clockwork. Some of us wanted Ethan Bear before our injuries. Some of us are glad to see that our franchise still has a pulse, somewhere in management. Some of us think Bear can actually be an asset. It's not protecting the team mindlessly. We have different ways we see our favorite franchise get out of this rut. Mine for example, sees Bear as a good move, especially for something so insignificant as a 5th round pick. 

Please tell me the last 5th round pick that made an impact on our team, and not the spreading covid to everyone kind of impact that AG had. Sutter thanks him still probably, 

Your words, not mine. 

I just laughed at this move and pointed out the obvious here (he's a waiver-tier player, retention or not).  That's the extent to what I said.

Some don't take kindly to hearing the truth, I'd wager.

1 minute ago, EmilyM said:

You can be a Canucks fan and simultaneously criticize management decisions. Because being a Canucks fan doesn’t mean blindly supporting every decision the team makes. As a Canuck fan, our loyalty should lie in the institution of the Canucks, not to any particular member of the establishment. As we were here before any of the current owners/managers/coaches/players were and we, the collective Canuck fanbase, will be here long after Aquilini/JR/PA/players have all left. You can criticize/analyze decisions made by the team while still being a diehard Canuck fans.

sure thats true, but we already have people tearing down a player who hasn't even played 1 minute for us. 

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I just don't get why some people get riled up when people choose to look for the upside of a move. But I guess some people get more energy from always looking for the downside. It is what it is. 

See, there's two issues with this. How one looks at things isn't black and white, nor is how things are expressed. I'm quite vocal about wanting to rebuild and I was critical of last nights game, but I was also complimentary of Pettersson and said he'd probably break 80 points this season. I also recognized that Demko looked better against Carolina despite the struggles of the team in front of him against what was a much better team. 

It's also not just one side getting riled up and going after the other, it's both sides. Some folks make jabs at pom pom waves, some write off anyone who's consistently critical as toxic or make them out to somehow not be a fan, or to somehow be less of one. We've both been here long enough to know there's two sides to that coin. 

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

To the date Rutherford was hired I suppose? You can't blame him for what happened before he was here, but being frustrated with what's happened since this management group took over is reasonable. Up until now I didn't have a real issue with how they utilized picks. We got one for Hamonic, we moved it for a guy with term in Dermott. 

Now we've moved a 2nd and a 5th in under a month, and it's now that my stance on how they've utilized picks has pivoted. Does that not seem reasonable? 

Could have gotten one of those numerous times off waivers since the beginning of the season, I've touched on that. Bear has 190 NHL games to his name, could have grabbed Ben Harpur who's got 156 off waivers for free. One could argue you take the NHL quality player off waivers for no cost the same way one could argue taking one back for a late round pick. 

I haven't once said I'm mad, don't know where you're getting that from. Frustrated? Disappointed? Sure. I haven't mentioned tanking in this thread, most of my ire has been towards moving picks out and that's historically pretty on brand for me. You know where I stand on the state of this club but you're also reaching a bit. 

I guess Harpur is a true depth defenceman at this point in his career, where i guess management see's more potential in Bear. 

I mean obviously they could have picked Harpur but chose to pick the better player in Bear in their minds.

Management is making it very clear they are trying everything they can to improve the team without breaking the bank.

Im pretty sure they had to get rid of Dickinson for cap implications otherwise we would have had to have a 21 man roster with dickinson waived anyways. they had to make a move because they didnt want to put Myers, Mikheyev or Dermott on LTIR. it also worked out that we got a perfect LTIR calculation.

sometimes your hand is forced.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I think this is a fine return for a 5th. We really needed another capable body on D, and this provides it. 

And as a secondary upside, we now have 3 guys who will be called "Pederson" by the announcers. I just can't wait for:

"Elias Pettersson to Pederson, to Pettersson and back to Pettersson and he{Pettersson} scores!!!!"

Add Pearson to the mix and Shorty will be having fits!