The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Hurricanes trade Ethan Bear, Lane Pederson to Canucks for 2023 5th-round pick

4 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Let's take things one step at a time. If he was a top 4 dman he would have gone more than a 5th and another team would have offered more for him 

the last thing we need is over hyping Canucks players again :lol:

Not nessasary his stock went down after a few bad playoff games.. Went to Carolina and never fit into coach Rod's system. Bear needs a fresh start and with injuries he will get his chance now.. Teams were hesitant these are the type of trades the can turn out great and cost of 5th rounder is a no brainer... 

Hughes 23- OEL 30 -- Myers 32-- Bear 25 -  Poolman 29--Dermott 25-- Schenn 32-- Rathbone 23 --Stillman 25 -- Burroughs 27 

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Remember a week ago. People were complaining about PA/JR's management. From what I'm seeing the pickups and players they have gotten are pretty decent.

Give it some time, before calling it a win or a lose cause injuries can still derail there development and effectiveness 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, cripplereh said:

True but look at stats,both Linden and Bure had more points,4 shutouts tied the nhl record.Final score in a game 7 the 94 team was closer by a post.That going in could have won it for us.

Both teams were great but watching them both many times I see the 94 being better.

Agreed, but just in terms of pure heart.

2011 is more skilled, so if you add the heart and passion of a non-injured Kesler 2011 Canucks win the cup and beat 94.

10 hours ago, AV. said:

The point I was trying to make is that a fairly significant improvement in the standings is the only screenshot I would have been interested in seeing.

Fair enough, I’d like to see that too.

But you’ve set up a dichotomy where this minor move is either awful and backwards or season altering.

it could also be somewhere in between where it’s a great move that makes us incrementally better. Or even a just-ok move that hardly moves the needle.

Which is what it probably is, but I’m hopeful for the former.

9 hours ago, wildcam said:

Not nessasary his stock went down after a few bad playoff games.. Went to Carolina and never fit into coach Rod's system. Bear needs a fresh start and with injuries he will get his chance now.. Teams were hesitant these are the type of trades the can turn out great and cost of 5th rounder is a no brainer... 

Hughes 23- OEL 30 -- Myers 32-- Bear 25 -  Poolman 29--Dermott 25-- Schenn 32-- Rathbone 23 --Stillman 25 -- Burroughs 27 

why did you post their ages?

starting with the eldest, I see

2 old guys

1 old guy with a long expensive contract

1 damaged goods

4- five/six/seven/eights ( 1 with a mysterious injury)

2 similar puck movers/point getters ( 1 that is surely redundant) that can't play defense

I am even more stoked on the Bear acquisition today

The dude clearly needed a fresh start with a new coach but regardless he had a 81% WAR as a depth d and a GVSA by Dom of 2.7 million last year - his worst year. By all reports he was struggling with injury and covid and was out of shape, but that has been dealt with. The fact that he's a smooth skater who can both transition decently and is proven on the PK are exactly what PA/JR were looking for last year - albeit they obviously wanted a more proven solution. But a 5th rounder for Bear with retention? That's extremely low risk.

Coming in just as the team is turning it around again and some injured players are getting their feet (incl. Mikheee let's gooooo) might be just what the doctor ordered for an Ethan Bear revitalization

Lane Pederson dating Schenn's sister and getting 2 points in his debut is a nice little community-oriented bonus at no cost.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, lmm said:

and if they trade him for a 3rd at the deadline 

I'l be happy about this deal

Can a third skate and shoot right on defence?  

a fifth and people are upset about getting a RHD that can skate and has size and snarl and can shoot the puck. 

he could not get out of Rod the bods dog house. 

we have two LHD with skills to make any RHD with a blend of those above traits especially when we have two or three guys in long term injury on D that play the right side.

somehow that a Fifth rounder was given up, this is a problem?

people stop listening to the media… take a breath and go outside.

Every news person in this town was influenced by Tony Gallagher and he was effective… and a guy that ruin any party or joke in about five seconds.

just by saying, ‘well, I have some concerns…. ‘ 

Gas Town is Gas lighting Town in Canucks news… 

rutherford must be like, “who the fuck worries about a 5th rounder? I just got the guy we targeted in the pre season, for 1.8m, likely an upgrade over Poolman and can Bear and Schenn can shelter and audition with Hughes, giving both OEL and Myers what they need five vs five.

a steady veteran D partner.  

the sheltered Bear and or Schenn with Burroughs and or Rathbone can give us stability on the back end.

Bear is 25, says he is in the best shape of his career, is First Nations and can skate, shoot and push back plays defence and shots right.

thats a lot of big pluses…

and we only gave up a fifth.

what’s the fucking problem?

I cannot see it.  

• Vintage 1
  • There it is 3

12 hours ago, lmm said:

some guy named ELias Pedersson

the real nugget in this deal

having cornered the market in 7-8 Defensemen

Alvinie moves on to corning the market in right shot  AHL centers

don't tell me you're still mad about this deal?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Westcoastcanucks777 said:

Or maybe Canucks just keep Chatfeild for free and keep him in AHL because he’s not really a mobile type passer 2nd PP D like little bear 

I was actually upset that we let Chatfield walk, he reminded me a bit of Tanev, very defensively sound…but the few shots he got with the Canucks a couple seasons ago he didn’t look good. So back to the farm he went.

It’s great to hear he’s doing well in Carolina tho, he was an awesome dman for our Utica club when he was our property. Benning chose not to retain him, as an RFA so he become a UFA and Carolina signed him last season. So that all happened before our current management come into place. I don’t see how we can blame our current management for letting him go, that was on Benning…

On 10/28/2022 at 2:36 PM, Caboose said:

Canucks let go of Chatfield for free.

Chatfield takes Bear's roster spot.

Canucks pay a draft pick for Bear.

Too predictable.

Chatfield.   Who is he again?   The next Forsling?   Nah more like just another Adrian Plavsic.    This is just a depth deal, because our D is trashed and it was already not good. 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Late to the party, on vacation

This trade wreaks of desperation.

Not sure how I feel about the direction, as it's Painfully clear we are still a bottom tier team.

But the value is good, low risk trades the last few days.

Reeks.  Or Reaks at least.  What is wreaks!