The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ethan Bear | #74 | D

-AJ-

Oilers' Bear wears name spelled out in Cree syllabics for ... 

Opens things up for some new marketing schemes at the very least. He's an interesting get. Canes fans say he's very high event but he seems to be good on the defensive transition and along the boards, but isn't great in front of the net. Logged really big minutes with the Oilers and still has potential, but has struggled to find a spot in Carolina since he got COVID. This feels a lot like the Dermott trade.

The recent story with Bear has been a pretty steep downward trend from what I hear, but over the course of the 2021-22 season, here's what I've found:

- At 5'11", he's short for a d-man, but built well at 197 lbs

- Based on his career averages, he's probably about a 0.2 to 0.25 point-per-game guy, good for 15-20 points a year.

- Very poor playoff results with 0 points and -8 in 8 games. Notably, he didn't play in the 2022 playoffs.

- At $1.8M (Canucks cap hit), is still probably overpaid, unless he bounces back and becomes a decent #3-4 defenseman

- Average hit frequency

- Pretty low blocking frequency

- Not a regular on the PK, but did get a little time in 2021-22

- Was the third PP option after DeAngelo and Slavin for the Canes

- Used in a fairly offensive manner at 55.0% OZ%

- Solid puck possession with 56.4% CORSI

- Seems like he has the ability to score goals as a defenseman, twice hitting five goals, despite relatively low point totals

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

The recent story with Bear has been a pretty steep downward trend from what I hear, but over the course of the 2021-22 season, here's what I've found:

- At 5'11", he's short for a d-man, but built well at 197 lbs

- Based on his career averages, he's probably about a 0.2 to 0.25 point-per-game guy, good for 15-20 points a year.

- Very poor playoff results with 0 points and -8 in 8 games. Notably, he didn't play in the 2022 playoffs.

- At $1.8M (Canucks cap hit), is still probably overpaid, unless he bounces back and becomes a decent #3-4 defenseman

- Average hit frequency

- Pretty low blocking frequency

- Not a regular on the PK, but did get a little time in 2021-22

- Was the third PP option after DeAngelo and Slavin for the Canes

- Used in a fairly offensive manner at 55.0% OZ%

- Solid puck possession with 56.4% CORSI

- Seems like he has the ability to score goals as a defenseman, twice hitting five goals, despite relatively low point totals

And what would you say are his positives besides complimentary offense, assuming he does that here? His PIMS don't indicate that he engages in rough stuff a whole lot so it's unlikely he'll be filling that gap if he slots in for Schenn or Burroughs. Doesn't do that, isn't overly big, doesn't block shots, doesn't PK regularly. 

I'll give him a fair shot and what'll be will be, but I dunno. Doesn't scream a guy I'd want to qualify at 2.2M when people lost their shit over Poolman getting 2.5M. 

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

And what would you say are his positives besides complimentary offense, assuming he does that here? His PIMS don't indicate that he engages in rough stuff a whole lot so it's unlikely he'll be filling that gap if he slots in for Schenn or Burroughs. Doesn't do that, isn't overly big, doesn't block shots, doesn't PK regularly. 

I'll give him a fair shot and what'll be will be, but I dunno. Doesn't scream a guy I'd want to qualify at 2.2M when people lost their shit over Poolman getting 2.5M. 

He strikes me as a primarily offensive guy who can handle himself physically, though it's not a huge part of his game. Honestly, probably something vaguely close to Del Zotto or Yannick Weber. Just a quick guess based on stats, though, I haven't watched his play very much.

• Upvote 1

I will wait and see if Bear can both recapture some of the form that made him quite promising a few years ago, and whether he can gel with this D core.

Not a bad acquisition for a 5th Rd pick.  He's still under team control after this year.

At the very least management is doing something to address the D core.  Burroughs has been a great story but he really shouldn't be an everyday RHD.

The pessimist in me can't help but see the last two deals as current management's Linden Vey and Adam Clendening, but both Studnicka and Bear hold more promise.

Will just do my best to enjoy the ride!

• Cheers 2

Bear lost his place on the Canes playing roster to Jalen Chatfield, who we should remember played on the Vcr farm team and Vcr turned down the opportunity to resign. Speaks volumes to me. I'm not expectina lot and i seriously doubt we'll get a lot. The good news is we didn't need to give up a lot but some one has to go down for Cap reasons

24 minutes ago, rizzuto&hatoum said:

Probably due to difference in cap hits but why is Jalen Chatfield the Canes 6th D instead of Bear?

Maybe it's more than about cap hits.

Could be that Chatfield has made marked improvements recently and thus beat out Bear by just becoming a better player. Cap considerations may have also played a factor as well.

33 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

The good new is Bear is a RFA next season. By the way I watched Chatfield and I'd say he's the same guy that played in UTica, who I confess I liked but Bears is not a difference maker

Unless he plays lights out over the course of the season, he is likely just filling an immediate need.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

Bear lost his place on the Canes playing roster to Jalen Chatfield, who we should remember played on the Vcr farm team and Vcr turned down the opportunity to resign. Speaks volumes to me. I'm not expectina lot and i seriously doubt we'll get a lot. The good news is we didn't need to give up a lot but some one has to go down for Cap reasons

Apparently he was recovering from long COVID, so there's that.

I like Chatfield...he had good energy and I was sad to see him go. Good for him for proving he belongs in the NHL.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Best part is he wants to be here.I hope he turns out to be a regular.

Me too!

Whaddaya' know. I guess the previous trade for Studnicka that moved out DiPietro and a RD prospect in Myrenberg was a bit of foreshadowing regarding PA's efforts in acquiring  RD Bear, huh. That being said......I'm down with this kid.

We grant Mike his trade request and get the man we're after. A win, win? I'm ever hopeful. An insurance for Poolman's on and off medical issues I guess.

• Cheers 1