The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ethan Bear | #74 | D

-AJ-

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

Based on comments I've seen from Canes fans, this deal is a cap dump.  They now have $8.6M in free cap space which they'll need when Pacioretty comes back

Similar to us dumping Poolman, I wouldn't get too excited with Bear just yet.

Sure, he has potential and boy it'd be nice if he breaks into a 20 minute guy but I don't think he's any better than Burroughs.

Nuts to think we gave up Chatfield and Forsling and they're flourishing now...

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Sure, he has potential and boy it'd be nice if he breaks into a 20 minute guy but I don't think he's any better than Burroughs.

Chatfield is same player Canucks had.Bottom cheep feeder.Canes have top 4 defencmen in place,and wont pay 2.2 milion if they can have player play few minutes at 750.000.Ethan is better then Poolman

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Chatfield is not flourishing; he's just has cheaper salary on a cap strapped team.  Burroughs is a far better player.

Bear is going to help our D a lot. He's a mobile dman that is good at moving the puck out of the d-zone. 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

8 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Based on comments I've seen from Canes fans, this deal is a cap dump.  They now have $8.6M in free cap space which they'll need when Pacioretty comes back

I'm sure that's partly true, but it doesn't explain why they didn't play him in a single game this season.  I think Friedman's scoop that he requested a trade this summer is probably ithe other part of the explanation.  And that part might hurt too much for 'Canes fans to mention.;)

Edited by Captain Canuck #12

20 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

I'm sure that's partly true, but it doesn't explain why they didn't play him in a single game this season.  I think Friedman's scoop that he requested a trade this summer is probably ithe other part of the explanation.  And that part might hurt too much for 'Canes fans to mention.;)

Ya. I just heard Dahliwal on Youtube say that he was having issues with Brindamour over fitness.  Apparently he is in the best shape of his life in response to Rod the Bod's criticism but apparently it was too late for him.

• Cheers 2

• -AJ- changed the title to Ethan Bear | #74 | D
1 hour ago, dpn1 said:

I think he is going to really help our right side and if he is a good first pass guy I am excited to see how he does.  That vid clip on him was great.  Having a First Nations player on our team is an honor and a great example for the kids in our communities.

This is Indian Horse if you'd (anyone would) like to watch it.

I stayed up until the wee hours on T & R day watching films on CBC, this being one of them.

https://gem.cbc.ca/media/indian-horse/s01e01

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

He was trending good while with the Oilers and fell out of grace with Rod.  I'm hoping he gets back on track and solidifies himself as a #4 guy but with all our moves recently, I'm preparing myself for him actually being a #6.  

Bear will be Hughes’ partner (5 on 5) and be awesome.  He will be the guy we lost in Tanev who enables Hughes to play more offensively.  They are going to be a fantastic top pairing.  Say hello to ppg Hughes very soon. (80+) This was a steal trade for us.  

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Bear will be Hughes’ partner (5 on 5) and be awesome.  He will be the guy we lost in Tanev who enables Hughes to play more offensively.  They are going to be a fantastic top pairing.  Say hello to ppg Hughes very soon. (80+) This was a steal trade for us.  

Do you really think Bear has that potential? 

Its hard to tell from the raw stats. One improvement I see is he really cleaned up his giveaways when he moved to Carolina.

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerreport.php?fromseason=20212022&thruseason=20212022&playerid=8478451&sit=5v5&stype=2&stdoi=oi&rate=n&v=p

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

Do you really think Bear has that potential? 

Its hard to tell from the raw stats. One improvement I see is he really cleaned up his giveaways when he moved to Carolina.

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerreport.php?fromseason=20212022&thruseason=20212022&playerid=8478451&sit=5v5&stype=2&stdoi=oi&rate=n&v=p

Huggy - Bear.  Has to happen. 

spacer.png

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 2

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Somewhere between bieksa and tanev works.  

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

On 10/28/2022 at 1:59 PM, Fred65 said:

Bear lost his place on the Canes playing roster to Jalen Chatfield, who we should remember played on the Vcr farm team and Vcr turned down the opportunity to resign. Speaks volumes to me. I'm not expectina lot and i seriously doubt we'll get a lot. The good news is we didn't need to give up a lot but some one has to go down for Cap reasons

I think peolpe are not getting the full understanding of the reasons why Bear was pushed down the Canes depth chart. With the signing of Burns and having Slavin,Skjei and Pesce they have the offence they need form the back end.  Chatfield adds more defense and is also right handed , which gives them all left/right pairings. Bear was never going to be ahead of Burns or Pesce. Add in his salary and Chatfield is a more capfriendly third pairing. As for him being a scratch for the playoffs, I believe he never got going after he got Covid. 

Edited by vancan2233
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2