The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] New Jersey Devils at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 01, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 hours ago, DS4quality said:

So who's going to the lions game on Sunday?

Always TV for me these days, but I am looking forward to it Big Time.

1:30pm Start folks.

Sure would be nice to shove a Wilson down Dickies throat in the playoffs.

Blitz, blitz, blitz 'til they've got no QBs left!

All DBs: Hit to Kill!

C'mon and ROAR you LIONS ROAR!

• Vintage 1

7 hours ago, Comeback_Kings said:

The team played with structure and discipline against the Penguins, what happened?  Tonight there's no cohesion, gaps are too wide, pucks turned over, players not supporting one another, shoot the puck out of the zone, shoot the puck in the zone, just turn it over, brutal hockey, not Canucks hockey!

That's the last time they get a day off!

"Take the day off, go enjoy yourselves."

Forgot to say, "But come back ready to work your asses off!"

• There it is 1

I think it was a mistake to put Stillman in over Rathbone.  Last night the only offensive defenceman in the line up was Quinn and this was his first game back off an injury.  We talk about the importance of moving the puck out of our end and Jack is good at it.  I know some will disagree with me but I believe we would be better if Rathbone was on the left side on the third pairing. B)

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

The irony is we've been getting a beating by teams who have gone through proper rebuilds - Edmonton, New Jersey and Buffalo. They have shown us what it takes to become a power house out of nothing first-hand.

We never looked in those games, their high end skill trumped us all game long, and they were only for a few seasons.

Ownership clearly don't want a rebuild but I think it would be quite fun - we'd be looking for little victories here and there and the odd win would be explosive, as long as we have a long term plan. Even a crash 3-year rebuild would get us so many good young players on high picks.

Not that the Canucks have been anything remotely close to spectacular over the past 8 years, but you all do realize that these "properly rebuilt" teams have gone through at least a full decade of struggles and angst, right? It's not even as close to as bad as what the Canucks have been. 

The Sabres and Oilers were laughing stocks of the league for a very long time - not to mention, it was only when a few very high draft picks (e.g. McDavid, Dahlin, Eichel, Draisaitl, etc) were able to finally help them emerge from the NHL basement. I know Eichel doesn't play for the Sabres anymore but it got them future assets and Alex Tuch who's been a beast for them so far. 

This isn't to say that we shouldn't rebuild, but what I am saying is that what we consider to be a proper rebuild seems to be mis-perceived. 

But then again, the only timely and well-executed rebuild that I can think of in the past decade or so would be the Avalanche. So I guess the conclusion is that 90% of rebuilds are messy, so you all better get mentally prepared for that if it actually happens. Are you all ready to be the laughing stock of the league for at least a few years? 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

We need to flip the switch somewhat on our thinking.   It's the players that actually have value, that need to go.   Those are the ones teams likely are interested in.   So far looks like we sh!t the bed with Millers signing.   Early yet to panic ... Duchene and Skinner both took a little time to gain traction too.   But it's valid to be concerned even with cap going up and his cap percentage palatable.   Horvat is that guy right now. If it doesn't hurt, it's not the right trade. 

Trading to gain cap space for me is also worrisome.   Because will the guy(s) we sign actually be of any better value?   Miller was an awesome trade though.  We need more trades like that as well. 

Ideally they pull it together and manage to "re-tool" on the fly, or re-set the rebuild as i like to call it, because we really didn't bottom out long enough. 

Hope our fanbase has the patience for that, i think it does finally.   It certainly didn't have it during JBs tenure though.   JBs actions were less disjointed then this forum, and that's telling.    Hansen said only 3 guys are safe ... I don't think any of these guys should be.   Would trade EP, QHs, Demko, and Horvat if it helped us.     And maybe that's exactly what we need to do.   Burn it to the ground, the same way OTT and TO did. 

I couldn't agree more. Obviously the ask on players differ considerably. Gretzky answered this question many years ago. The re-build on the fly throws a lot of responsibility onto the GM making the right moves and reflects the assessments made by his scouting department. As a fan who has wanted a full tear down since 

2014 I am leery of a 'rebuild on the fly'.  We have a number of examples of teams coming out of their tear downs with significant talent embedded in their rosters;

NJD, OTT, DET and to a more limited degree LAK. 

IMHO Vancouver has been a team thru its history of rebuild on the fly. It has meant the depth in the org was what you saw on the ice. There was little else. How many times have we seen young players set up for failure as the org threw them into the league without enough support or patience. I have particularly liked the Sens rebuild. They shipped a number of talented players out to build their youth. That young group has matured together and become a very cohesive group. 

I don't see a lot to get overly excited about with this Canuck group. A lot of hope put on the Russians, Some desperation in the top 9 and one talented defenseman.   

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, J-23 said:

Need a 1st round pick coming back.

Yup. We should go into the draft with 2/3 plus another 2nd. Literally zero reason we should not be going full Habs. Those guys had tons of junk, And the highest payroll..Sold alot for profit, Still have the highest payroll but loaded with young talent

9 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I couldn't agree more. Obviously the ask on players differ considerably. Gretzky answered this question many years ago. The re-build on the fly throws a lot of responsibility onto the GM making the right moves and reflects the assessments made by his scouting department. As a fan who has wanted a full tear down since 

2014 I am leery of a 'rebuild on the fly'.  We have a number of examples of teams coming out of their tear downs with significant talent embedded in their rosters;

NJD, OTT, DET and to a more limited degree LAK. 

IMHO Vancouver has been a team thru its history of rebuild on the fly. It has meant the depth in the org was what you saw on the ice. There was little else. How many times have we seen young players set up for failure as the org threw them into the league without enough support or patience. I have particularly liked the Sens rebuild. They shipped a number of talented players out to build their youth. That young group has matured together and become a very cohesive group. 

I don't see a lot to get overly excited about with this Canuck group. A lot of hope put on the Russians, Some desperation in the top 9 and one talented defenseman.   

Most/some can see, what you are posting, whilst, most will question your loyalty, instead of seeing, that you are just questioning the ownership & FO for the CURRENT mess.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Were in it with this core. I see 2 paths.

It's either give the management more time to properly build around them or you blow it up entirely including trading Horvat, Hughes, & Demko, then pray we finally have lottery luck.

Horvat should be old news, We need that money for a frickin' D-man.

7 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

It's either give the management more time to properly build around them or you blow it up entirely including trading Horvat, Hughes, & Demko, then pray we finally have lottery luck.

The latter is the only serious option.  Nobody's building anything with OEL and Miller anchoring this team to the basement.  We didn't make good enough use of Pettersson and Hughes ELC, and have absolutely nothing in the system to come up and balance out those salaries.

A serious team would know to pull the plug and start again.

Edited by AV.
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 2

9 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Aquaman won't admit to his mistakes, just yet but it is just a matter of time cause his roster, is getting stale and apathy is setting in, with the fanbased.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Vintage 1

The devils skates the Canucks out of the rink last night.  They were all over us in all three zones no room to breathe.  Good example of making the best use out of the talent you have.  Hughes looked like he hadn’t played in a couple weeks actually disrupted the power play early in the game.  Petey line was great probably should have been rewarded with a goal or two.

• Upvote 1