The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bruce Boudreau on the hot seat?

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

On 11/14/2022 at 12:06 PM, mikeyman109 said:

The big question is when do the players get held accountable for this disaster. I agree theres lots of blame to go around from Benning to Rutherford to Allvin then the coaching staff etc but when do we look at what Demko has done this year and simply say thats not good enough.Miller, Boeser, Garland, OEL, Myers Pearson.Theres been about three or four players this year that have been consistent and have played pretty well all season so far.

Pettersson has been good.

Horvat has scored almost every game although his faceoff percentage hasnt been dominant.

Aman and Joshua have played well on the fourth line.

Kuzmenko and Mikheyev have been decent .but thats about where it stops.

No other Forward has been consistently in the game so far this season.

Defensively its a complete disaster.

OEL has been awful in his own end.

Myers is complete chaos and a Penalty machine.

Stillman and Bear havent helped.

Hughes hasnt been great in his own end even though he has 14 assists.

Brisebois and Rathbone didnt look awful in their time with the big club

Schenn has been the best d man the last three years. and thats not a good thing.

Lastly Demko has been plain awful. I have given it to Alf when he has been on Thatcher over the past couple years.There were nights when the only thing that kept us in games was TD. This season we need to put out an ad on a milk carton because the guy wearing his jersey has gone missing.

Demko is most of what is wrong with the team. Thats a lot to put on the young man but its the truth. When your goaltender gives up a soft goal it deflates the team.  When he isnt the best player on the PK you are last in the league in stats. When he doesnt steal a game or two the record speaks for itself. Demko was our MVP the last two years. and deservedly so. This year he has not been.

Spencer Martin has been a bright light in this crappy start to the year. Love his compete level. im not sure hes a starter, but he is definitely playing better than the guy who is supposed to be the starter.

I love the Canucks.plain and simple. I want them to be better. I know that what i do, think or write doesnt affect the team. I have learned that from watching every single season of this soap opera. But i do know its hard to watch right now. Its not entertaining to see them jump out to three goal leads and then collapse.  To see them take a penalty and know thats one we will have to get back. To watch the goaltender think he has the puck only to have it luckily go around the back of the net and not end up in our net. Something is very wrong with this team, Not the coaches. Not the management. Its the players on the ice. Its fire sale time. Time to start over. Time to find a new captain. a new Goaltender a new D man prospect pool. Start with the new Goalie and work your way out. Forget about the 9 million dollar forwards until you have a D core that makes sense. We need 2 shut down D men that can contain the chaos in our own end. OEL, Myers even Hughes are not taking us to the finals.They dont control the game. as much as i hated Duncan Keith when he was on the ice things settled down for the Hawks.Same with Pronger, or Stevens. It wouldnt hurt to be in the running for Bedard this year. We arent making the playoffs anyways and we are right to the cap. Its time.This group has had its chances. time to move on.

Bruce will lose his job soon. The team will talk about how bad it is that someone loses their job because they didnt perform but it wont change anything in the standings.

It is the managers job to fill out the roster

This management signed on to resurrect this team

It is totally on management. 

PERIOD, FULL STOP

If you hire a contractor to fix the rot in your foundation and he brings in a painter, you fire them both

7 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

PA should be fired for that Stillman trade.

It's bad enough that this team has been saddled with over 20 years of stoic, passive, emotionless, cream-puff, swedish finesse pushovers on our team but now we have an inexperienced Rookie Swedish GM to further torture us with trades like this - and Stillman for a 2nd????? OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  What next?

• Cheers 3

If we've learned anything from this, it's not the coach who is the problem. Bruce has looked at the roster and realized that for the Canucks to have any chance, they have to play high octane offence, outscore their deficiencies and hope that Thatcher Demko can be a top 3 goalie. Well, Demko hasn't been and now all the problems that he covered for last season are now readily apparent. Guys like Miller turn the puck over at the worst possible times and then quit on the play, hanging a very weak d-core and the goalie out to dry.

I wouldn't take anything from last night's game. You're going to win the odd game even if you're a bad team. But this isn't on Bruce Boudreau. He and Demko have basically dragged this team to respectability, for better or for worse. You can't just say, well, now we're a playoff team. Okay, let's entertain that ridiculous fantasy. Let's say they can come back and make the playoffs. And then what? Is that what this team tops out at? A 1st round playoff exit? After 52 years, is that really good enough? Have we just given up on ever winning a Stanley Cup? Trevor Linden was right. And every day, that's being proven more and more. Are we just going to dump coaches after less than a year until the beginning of time and hope that we go on a run with the new guy and eventually luck out and make the playoffs? Is that the end game?

• Cheers 1

Not sure why we've flipped the switch on the Stillman trade. We paid a 2nd to get rid off Dickinson and his cap. Took on Stillman for cap reasons and a shot at a turn around just like Dickinson was to Chicago. 

To say we paid a 2nd for Stillman is changing the context. 

10 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

Not sure why we've flipped the switch on the Stillman trade. We paid a 2nd to get rid off Dickinson and his cap. Took on Stillman for cap reasons and a shot at a turn around just like Dickinson was to Chicago. 

To say we paid a 2nd for Stillman is changing the context. 

The only way I can come to terms with it is that it opened up the cap to acquire Bear.

So if you look at it as a 2nd and 5th for Bear it’s a little more reasonable.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

A man on an island, and not even Vancouver island 

This a franchise that just likes to point fingers. Management has just as much responsibility in this as Bruce, if not more. Crazy and people wonder what’s wrong. Maybe if the players, coaches, to management held themselves accountable we’d be in a better position in the standings. Maybe it’s turning around but doesn’t seem likely

2 minutes ago, Devron said:

This a franchise that just likes to point fingers. Management has just as much responsibility in this as Bruce, if not more. Crazy and people wonder what’s wrong. Maybe if the players, coaches, to management held themselves accountable we’d be in a better position in the standings. Maybe it’s turning around but doesn’t seem likely

I don't reckon it'll turn around, but yeah I don't think constantly shuffling coaches is gonna fix anything. Coach works with what he's given, management make personnel decisions and build the roster, players gotta play. It's not a simple thing, responsibility is shared but we've got a rather recent habit of repeatedly making coaches the fall guy for organizational issues. 

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, Devron said:

There's enough to go round. But let's be honest it isn't JR that decides to play Stillman, sure PA aquired Stillman bit as much as any thing it was to get some Cap Space. It's Bruce that plays him. Both Burroughs and indeeed Briesbois have better skills, but  Bruce keep playing him

• There it is 1

45 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

There's enough to go round. But let's be honest it isn't JR that decides to play Stillman, sure PA aquired Stillman bit as much as any thing it was to get some Cap Space. It's Bruce that plays him. Both Burroughs and indeeed Briesbois have better skills, but  Bruce keep playing him

Not sure about that. Bruce stated it’s not his decision to send down Rathbone or not. If Bruce isn’t managements guy I can definitely see them calling the roster spots 

• RoughGame 1

Lol it’s clear the management is making Bruce a scrap goat.. he never was JR guy and JR have done everything he can to set him up to fail so he has a reason to fire him. Bruce is too much of a fan favourite last season he can’t flat out tell Bruce we don’t really want you back. Like what have management done so far this off season that didn’t contributed to this dumpster fire? And what have they done to fix any issue? Stillman and bear is the solution? If Bruce didn’t love the game of hockey so much he probably would have walked away after last season. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Lol it’s clear the management is making Bruce a scrap goat.. he never was JR guy and JR have done everything he can to set him up to fail so he has a reason to fire him. Bruce is too much of a fan favourite last season he can’t flat out tell Bruce we don’t really want you back. Like what have management done so far this off season that didn’t contributed to this dumpster fire? And what have they done to fix any issue? Stillman and bear is the solution? If Bruce didn’t love the game of hockey so much he probably would have walked away after last season. 

Bruce as a scrap goat ...

• Haha 1

On 11/13/2022 at 1:25 PM, combover said:

Clearly it doesn’t matter who the coach is the mix of players is  the problem. A Terrible D group and one Center that wins draws 

It was a Terrible refool/build. Below average goaltending has exposed the many other issues this club had had for almost a decade.the  stupid Hot goaltender plan only works with a hot goaltender 

just like playoff revenue only helps if you make the playoffs. 

Crap GM(Jb) crap owner FA 

= crap team 

Nah. This is on Allvin for doing nothing with the team he inherited.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/19/2022 at 5:21 AM, RU SERIOUS said:

It's bad enough that this team has been saddled with over 20 years of stoic, passive, emotionless, cream-puff, swedish finesse pushovers on our team but now we have an inexperienced Rookie Swedish GM to further torture us with trades like this - and Stillman for a 2nd????? OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  What next?

Don't forget Dickie was a JB problem that he solved.    It's Bruce who's playing him lol.   Waiting for Dermott to stop getting migraines good grief, isn't that two guys?    Anyways ...  that was the prize.   Lazar > or = to Dickie and it cost us 40% ish on the dollar.    Said it when we signed him and still believe it now, fans are going to love watching Lazar play.    Last game was an example of that.    7 hits lol... both him and Schenn are going to earn the post game meals pre-paid by QHs and EP.  

At least you're consistent but didn't you already get your wish in firing the coach last year, and then the GM?  

Like it or not, one of Vancouver's tiny competitive advantages over other teams is our market share on solid to great Swedish players.   Goes way way way back, Timrafan could help you on that point if you like.   One of JBs group best moves was taking a chance on EP...do you not like EP too?   As long as we don't sign Klingberg in the off season right ... ugh.   I get your pain, my favourite players have and likely always will be Canadian ones.   But BC simply doesn't produce them like ONT and Quebec does.    Half the population lives in the lower mainland.   Only small town BC is like ONT and Quebec when it comes to hockey.     I live i small town Ontario, where the ice is made, we all skate around in minus 10-30 weather on a creek, has three arenas and curling lol...growing up in Victoria they'd need 30 to compare but only had 3 really.   That's the way it is.    Here skating and hockey is a religious experience.  

So we have to work with what we have.   And it just happens to be Sweden.   BC is referred to as its sister place isn't it?   But it's not the lower mainland really..spent 25% of my youth in small town BC and it's like here.   But in Victoria anyways, hockey was the least active sport growing up...soccer, baseball, basketball then hockey.   Sure we had a couple hockey players in my classes in grade school but not many.  Compared to here where 3/4 of the kids play... Everyone plays hockey.   And so many ex-juniors or decent level players as well all grown up. 

HHOFers from Sweden.   Not many right lol.   Ugh.   Salming, Sundin, Forsberg, Sedins, Alfie and Lidstrom.     Class almost doubled!

We should be happy we have any small competitive advantages that we can get.   And let's at least give Allvin this season before passing too much judgement.    But do think he's earned some pressure for sure.   

• Cheers 1