The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rutherford again criticizes Canucks structure: 'Something has to be fixed'

Rate this topic

fivethej

3 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Can a reporter with balls ask why the heck they let walker and shaw go?   

28 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

You can be mad at JR for saying it.....but he's not wrong so I don't know what everyone is mad about. The same people would be on here complaining if he didn't say anything too I would bet. I would rather have a President that speaks up and tries to light a fire when the team is playing like garage.  

Don't be mad at the President, be mad at the players or be mad at ownership for not allowing a proper rebuild for a team that hasn't really been competitive since 2011 or ever had a proper rebuild because playoff revenue is more important that a championship caliber team.  They are the one's underperforming and playing sloppy, terrible hockey. There are good players on that ice. The player's love Boudreau, he's a players coach....let's hold them accountable.....not blame a President who's been here less than a year. 

When you are the president of a team, you have control over ALL hockey operations. If JR is just a straw man put in place by Aqua to appease the fans, while he simply continues to push for PO revenue, I have lost even more respect for the JR. He is not a scout nor ast coach nor trainer...he's the fricking President! If the owner and you don't align, step down and leave, or even better, don't take the job! A real president would have fixed HIS mistakes during camp when he noticed things were not right.

At this point we just need to realize he fleeced the organization; got the job with big talk. Then, commanded a fat salary to facilitate his retirement move to BC. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

When you are the president of a team, you have control over ALL hockey operations. If JR is just a straw man put in place by Aqua to appease the fans, while he simply continues to push for PO revenue, I have lost even more respect for the JR. He is not a scout nor ast coach nor trainer...he's the fricking President! If the owner and you don't align, step down and leave, or even better, don't take the job! A real president would have fixed HIS mistakes during camp when he noticed things were not right.

At this point we just need to realize he fleeced the organization; got the job with big talk. Then, commanded a fat salary to facilitate his retirement move to BC. 

So ownership has complete impunity? Got it. 

11 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

So ownership has complete impunity? Got it. 

If you are basically being a puppet for Aqua, why do you take the job other than $$? You are theoretically eroding your legacy by being that strawman.  When Jim was hired there was this big relief that he had balls, and would come in and upright the ship; make trades, hire his staff and coach, etc. He has done nothing, other than to double down on JB's team, then criticize the team and staff in November when he "saw" the problems in September. I don't know where you work, but if a senior manager in my company saw fatal errors and never did anything, he'd get canned the next day. There is no accountability in this organization, and it starts right from the top; Aqua and JR.

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

At this point I will waive every player on this team not named Horvat, Petterson, Hughes, and Demko.

Guess OEL also since we can't waive him. I would buy him out asap. 

While I agree with this direction. Nobody will be doing anything unless this guy says so. Axed Gillis for trying to do it in 2013-2014. Trevor left the team July 25th 2018 because this guy said no to a proper rebuild. The buck stops with the mandate of ownership. As we have seen, players, coaches,GM’s and presidents in the last 18 years have come and gone yet the direction of the team has mostly remained.

You could say that the one time we traded assets for futures was the 2017 trade deadline when we traded Burrows and Hanson for Goldy,Dalhen and a 4th. Other then that, it’s always been “make the playoffs” and never get draft picks because in his eyes (my opinion on this) draft picks don’t sell bums in seats, players do. Which is one of the reasons why management has traded more draft capital then acquiring it. Because that’s what rebuilding teams do, not us not the Canucks.

Until he changes his tune and swallow his impatience and pride we will see more of the same with whoever is POHO,GM,coach or roster on this team. And the puppet master will be in the shadows pulling the strings. 

67C64601-AAFC-4825-8D9F-6592067532B5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, BC_Hawk said:

Our owner set the direction of no step back.  He’s not meddling in hockey ops.  He just expects any trade or signing to move the team toward.  So no rebuilding moves.  No trading key core guys, like Bo or Miller, for futures, because that’s a step back.  

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

While I agree with this direction. Nobody will be doing anything unless this guy says so. Axed Gillis for trying to do it in 2013-2014. Trevor left the team July 25th 2018 because this guy said no to a proper rebuild. The buck stops with the mandate of ownership. As we have seen, players, coaches,GM’s and presidents in the last 18 years have come and gone yet the direction of the team has mostly remained.

You could say that the one time we traded assets for futures was the 2017 trade deadline when we traded Burrows and Hanson for Goldy,Dalhen and a 4th. Other then that, it’s always been “make the playoffs” and never get draft picks because in his eyes (my opinion on this) draft picks don’t sell bums in seats, players do. Which is one of the reasons why management has traded more draft capital then acquiring it. Because that’s what rebuilding teams do, not us not the Canucks.

Until he changes his tune and swallow his impatience and pride we will see more of the same with whoever is POHO,GM,coach or roster on this team. And the puppet master will be in the shadows pulling the strings. 

67C64601-AAFC-4825-8D9F-6592067532B5.jpeg

This is exactly what’s gong on.  I actually think we have a very good owner.  He just, 

like you say, needs to allow management to rebuild/reset as they see best.  

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, cripplereh said:

Hansen said it right nobody likes it here right now as players.Something is going to happen and that should be a full rebuild if all except QH,EP and Demko.

If we can sell them it would take three years and they will win for years if done right.

This is what should happen, but will our owner allow it?  

• Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

23 hours ago, Bure2Win said:

Maybe Rutherford should look in the mirror at his failures before criticizing the coach or the team? Take some accountability man.....Sigh:picard:

What I don’t understand is he said in his year-end press conference that they need to upgrade the defensive core, in the off-season to take the pressure off Demko……..and what does he do? He signs an overpaid 2nd line tweener to help out the PK.

How is that working out so far? 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, shiznak said:

What I don’t understand is he said in his year-end press conference that they need to upgrade the defensive core, in the off-season to take the pressure off Demko……..and what does he do? He signs an overpaid 2nd line tweener to help out the PK.

How is that working out so far? 

I actually like the Mik siging in a vacuum. But then we should have moved out Miller for pieces and futures and got Marino for Rathbone.

One step forward, two steps back.

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I actually like the Mik siging in a vacuum. But then we should have moved out Miller for pieces and futures and got Marino for Rathbone.

One step forward, two steps back.

And in a vacuum I really like the Bear deal. But in the context of pics and prospects out for Stillman and Studnicka just seems a pattern of pics and futures going out for a team that is sinking. 
Rathbone wasn’t likely getting Marino. 
I do like the 3 Russians, Podz needs to get his game up to his standard. We need that big PF. 
Do really need to see some of these guys moved out but your kind of stuck with what you have now unless you find the right GM trying to save his job. 

4 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

And in a vacuum I really like the Bear deal. But in the context of pics and prospects out for Stillman and Studnicka just seems a pattern of pics and futures going out for a team that is sinking. 
Rathbone wasn’t likely getting Marino. 
I do like the 3 Russians, Podz needs to get his game up to his standard. We need that big PF. 
Do really need to see some of these guys moved out but your kind of stuck with what you have now unless you find the right GM trying to save his job. 

Rathbone + pick was the rumoured ask. Apparently we didn't want to give up Rathbone as we desperately needed him to sit in the press box and be stuck behind Hughes and OE instead of addressing our RD.

Yup, Bear deal is a decent gamble and exactly the type we need to take to fill out our team. But no, it doesn't drastically move the needle on what needs to be done.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Rathbone + pick was the rumoured ask. Apparently we didn't want to give up Rathbone as we desperately needed him to sit in the press box and be stuck behind Hughes and OE instead of addressing our RD.

Yup, Bear deal is a decent gamble and exactly the type we need to take to fill out our team. But no, it doesn't drastically move the needle on what needs to be done.

It is sure going to be interesting to see what happens this next year or two. 

• Vintage 1