The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

ticketed for pulling out mobile order at drive thru

wai_lai416

5 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol so tonight went to timmy's drive thru.. they asked me for my mobile order.. so i pulled out my phone to show them the mobile order.. next thing you know a cop parked facing the drive thru turns on it's siren and i have a ticket for using my cellphone lol.. so should i even bother disputing.. or do cop even have jurisdiction on private land? so what am i suppose to do in this situation.. go park my car and then walk back to the drive thru to show them my mobile order? lol..

Yes, you should dispute it. That is incredibly dumb. Guess that cop wanted in on the action that he missed during this afternoon....

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • There it is 1

10 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol so tonight went to timmy's drive thru.. they asked me for my mobile order.. so i pulled out my phone to show them the mobile order.. next thing you know a cop parked facing the drive thru turns on it's siren and i have a ticket for using my cellphone lol.. so should i even bother disputing.. or do cop even have jurisdiction on private land? so what am i suppose to do in this situation.. go park my car and then walk back to the drive thru to show them my mobile order? lol..

Definitely dispute that one.  

That's a lame ticket to give out.  Tons of people use their phones to pay for things these days too. 

24 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

:lol:

You should have offered to buy him some free doughnuts...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • There it is 1

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Let me guess, this happened at Market Crossing. 

Burnaby RCMP are some of the dumbest people alive lol

• Cheers 1

Was your car in park? If so, the cop gave you an invalid ticket. You weren't on a roadway and if the car was in park, you weren't legitimately operating the vehicle at that point. The cop was clearly someone who was looking to shoot sitting ducks.  

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Dispute it.

The cop wont show up to court.

That part I’m not so sure cops are paid to show up to court nowadays at least from what I know. All my friends that have ticket dispute said their cop showed up. 

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Was your car in park? If so, the cop gave you an invalid ticket. You weren't on a roadway and if the car was in park, you weren't legitimately operating the vehicle at that point. The cop was clearly someone who was looking shoot sitting ducks.  

Well I drive standard so it was in neutral with handbrakes on so I dunno if that constitute the same

• Cheers 1

It's actually going to depend on the judge. People have been parked, vehicle running, but parking brake is still on and have been ticketed.

Years ago someone stole my motorcycle. Ripped off the plate. I reported it stolen, cancelled my insurance. Then 3 months later I get 2 parking bylaw tickets.

I called the supervisor at bylaws, gave him my police file #, the ICBC file number. He said nope, he won't rescind it. Dispute it.

I had to take the day off. Adjudicator looked at the file and in 30 seconds say. Sir, this isn't your motorcycle is it? I'm like no, mine was a Kawasaki the Model on the ticket

was a Yamaha. Had about 4 other pages of documentation ready to go. He dismissed both tickets then and there. I was relieved and very annoyed. It's bad enough they destroyed my motorcycle. But to have to fight a bylaw ticket afterwords. Ugh.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

That part I’m not so sure cops are paid to show up to court nowadays at least from what I know. All my friends that have ticket dispute said their cop showed up.

I didn't know that.

My thought was that the cop would know the ticket is bogus.

My last ticket, the cop didn't show up so I got off. He had given me a ticket for 'running a yellow light'

• RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

It's actually going to depend on the judge. People have been parked, vehicle running, but parking brake is still on and have been ticketed.

Years ago someone stole my motorcycle. Ripped off the plate. I reported it stolen, cancelled my insurance. Then 3 months later I get 2 parking bylaw tickets.

I called the supervisor at bylaws, gave him my police file #, the ICBC file number. He said nope, he won't rescind it. Dispute it.

I had to take the day off. Adjudicator looked at the file and in 30 seconds say. Sir, this isn't your motorcycle is it? I'm like no, mine was a Kawasaki the Model on the ticket

was a Yamaha. Had about 4 other pages of documentation ready to go. He dismissed both tickets then and there. I was relieved and very annoyed. It's bad enough they destroyed my motorcycle. But to have to fight a bylaw ticket afterwords. Ugh.

Lol speaking of that I actually have a full body wrap on my car that I was gonna remove next month.. he asked whys my car insurance say the car is white but it’s grey I said it’s a wrap he marked on the ticket grey lol by the time I dispute the car will be white hahah so technically they got the Color wrong lol

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I didn't know that.

My thought was that the cop would know the ticket is bogus.

My last ticket, the cop didn't show up so I got off. He had given me a ticket for 'running a yellow light'

they try to schedule most of the same cops dispute all into the same day now too so even more reason for them to go.

Lol years ago I got a ticket for moving 1m at a red traffic light. It was one of those the left turn signal turned green I thought it was the regular green light moved 1m and realized put on the brakes. Happens the guy behind me was a cop got pulled over for um running the red light technically I’m still technically 10cm behind the stop line. I had a dash cam that showed I moved and then I stopped before the cop flagged me. I brought the dash cam with me to court the cop waived the ticket lol. What was funny was the cop ran out of tickets or something and made me wait 20mins for another cop to show up for more tickets hahaha

Edited by wai_lai416
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Well I drive standard so it was in neutral with handbrakes on so I dunno if that constitute the same

Yes they are and yes I believe it does.

29 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

In this case, you would want the officer to show up in court.  The judge would find the officer's actions reprehensible.  It would be embarrassing for that officer to have his actions exposed in the courts.  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1