The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) NSH looking to trade a Dman (Fabbro)

RWJC

per Nick Kypreos

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/opinion/2022/11/24/with-rielly-out-maple-leafs-would-be-wise-to-do-some-early-christmas-window-shopping-whos-worth-a-call.html

IIRC a few folks on this forum really like the idea of Fabbro in a Nux jersey, so...

Predators Believed To Be Open To Trading A Defenseman

NOVEMBER 26, 2022 AT 2:57 PM CDT | BY BRIAN LA ROSE 

It has been a bit of a tough start to the season for the Predators.  While they sit fourth in the Central entering today’s action, they’re among the lowest-scoring teams in the league, ranking 29th in goals scored at the moment.  With that in mind, they may have to look outside the organization to try to add some scoring help.  One possible option is to move a defenseman and in his latest column for the Toronto Star, Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos reports that Nashville GM David Poile would like to move a defenseman, suggesting that Dante Fabbro could be had for the right price.

The 24-year-old locked down a regular role in 2019-20, logging over 19 minutes a game and it looked as if the Predators had found yet another quality young defender that they could mold into a core piece.  However, he hasn’t really progressed much since then.  His playing time continued to hover around the 19-minute mark until this season as it’s down to just 16 minutes a night while he has just four assists in 19 games.

While he’s still holding down a regular role, his usage has dipped to that of a number six defenseman which, at a $2.4MM price tag, is a bit pricey for that spot on the depth chart.  Notably, Fabbro will be owed a qualifying offer this summer at that same price point while also being arbitration-eligible and if he rides out the season in the role he has now, he could very well be a non-tender candidate in the summer.  Accordingly, moving him now might make sense.

Among Nashville’s other defenders, it’s safe to say that Roman Josi, Mattias Ekholm, and Ryan McDonagh aren’t going anywhere.  Jeremy Lauzon has three years remaining after this one on his deal at a $2MM AAV which could be intriguing to some teams if they feel he can be more than a third-pairing option while Alexandre Carrier has taken a step back this season after a breakout 30-point campaign last year.  Veteran Mark Borowiecki is currently injured so he’s unlikely to move either.

That makes Fabbro the logical choice to move if Poile decides that he wants to move a defender and while his trade value has undoubtedly dipped compared to what it would have been a few years ago, it’s also possible that it drops even further if they get to the offseason with him being questionable to be given his qualifying offer.  If they feel that Jordan Gross(who presently is with AHL Milwaukee but has two goals in three NHL games this season) can fill a similar role that Fabbro is now, Fabbro certainly could be an interesting addition to the trade market in the coming weeks.

Edited by RWJC
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Fabbro is a RHD.

I guess it all comes down to what does Nashville Want?

Would they take Garland?

I think it would take a Garland or Boeser.

The only caveat to what Kypreos is saying though is that NSH is just one potential dman injury away from actually really needing Fabbro in their lineup.

Think it's a long shot but worth checking in if true.

38 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I think it would take a Garland or Boeser.

The only caveat to what Kypreos is saying though is that NSH is just one potential dman injury away from actually really needing Fabbro in their lineup.

Think it's a long shot but worth checking in if true.

Yes, although Fabrro's the most likely of their D men to get injured!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Garland for Fabbro? Or something along those lines?

Yeah something like that's the only thing that makes sense. And really, I'd probably prefer futures for Garland if possible. Fabbro is "ok". But he's not likely the long term solution to a Hughes partner. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, aGENT said:

Yeah something like that's the only thing that makes sense. And really, I'd probably prefer futures for Garland if possible. Fabbro is "ok". But he's not likely the long term solution to a Hughes partner. 

I would prefer futures as well. it's a deal I thought might make sense for the Preds since it's a winger under not a bad contract who is struggling a bit like Fabbro. 

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I mean, even if we did acquire Fabbro, who's on the chopping block? 

Regarding RD we already have Myers Burroughs, and Schenn, and then Bear and Dermott (can play both sides?) as pending RFA's. Myers may not be easy to move, and likely requires cap coming back. You've also potentially got Johansson as the RD prospect closest to making the jump. 

Bear and Dermott both cost us picks, one can assume we probably qualify them or get something done. 

Good points 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I mean, even if we did acquire Fabbro, who's on the chopping block? 

Regarding RD we already have Myers Burroughs, and Schenn, and then Bear and Dermott (can play both sides?) as pending RFA's. Myers may not be easy to move, and likely requires cap coming back. You've also potentially got Johansson as the RD prospect closest to making the jump. 

Bear and Dermott both cost us picks, one can assume we probably qualify them or get something done. 

Fabbro might be nice if we can move Myers but then we’re getting pretty small on that side. Not sure how much that matters anymore but it seems like the top teams are still pretty heavy on the back end. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Fabbro might be nice if we can move Myers but then we’re getting pretty small on that side. Not sure how much that matters anymore but it seems like the top teams are still pretty heavy on the back end. 

Still need to be hard to play against.  Teams find it far too easy to get to the middle of the ice against us, especially in our D zone.  

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

When it comes to D construction I still believe you need some reasonable size on the back end. Without Myers we're def smaller. Fabbro isn't tiny but he's pretty average in both height and he's on the lighter side. My concern with Fabbro is that we'd be acquiring another guy we're simply hoping can be a top 4 guy for us, we've already got two such players we've paid for in Dermott and Bear. He's not a surefire top 4D, and I think that's gotta be a concern given we've already got a few of those we've invested in. 

If the idea is to play him with Hughes, who's also on the smaller side, I wonder if he's big enough. I'm admittedly not all that interested in Fabbro though, he doesn't strike me as someone who's a tier above the other hopefuls we've brought in. 

• Cheers 2