The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Washington Capitals at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 29, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I know it’s been a rough season at times but last night was the first game I’ve turned off all season before the ending. I stoped watching with about 10 minutes left. I don’t know what it is but we always seem to play down to Washington. They have a way of making us look like a CHL caliber squad and they always seem to get all the bounces their way and all the puck luck. They are definitely in my top 3 teams I hate watching us play against, if not number 1 on that list. 

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Caps are a heavy group that play a heavy (hard to play against) game.  We got pushed around.  Miller came out.Other than him though, of our top minute - key core - guys who showed up to the rumble? 

This is kinda a cheap shot but here goes. In the clips last night of the Philly-Islander game Big Mac had a feature bout as he tangled with an Islander after a hit. Big Mac stepped in and adjusted the thinking and Philly went on to a victory. Big Mac is playing 13-15 minutes a game, scoring some points and is obviously a Torts fav. 

I bring this up as, IMHO, that is what Vancouver needed last night in a big way. To a degree the Caps were doing just that. They hit EP40 a couple of times and Martin was bumped as well. Not outrageous but wouldn't some physical push back helped to motivate and juice the half asleep Canucks? 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Caps are a heavy group that play a heavy (hard to play against) game.  We got pushed around.  Miller came out.Other than him though, of our top minute - key core - guys who showed up to the rumble? 

Yes, Miller was the only one that physically drove the play in our only goal.  Everyone has a flat night now and then but for so many to be like that is very discouraging. 

Edited by grandmaster

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I have lots of room for small players in todays game but we have 3 regular forwards under 5’9” and even then the rest aren’t big other than Joshua and now De’G has been called up. 
‘Add to that a D that is fairly small.

‘Luckily we aren’t a playoff team. This tiny group would get caved even worse than the regular season. 

Edited by DrJockitch

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

This is kinda a cheap shot but here goes. In the clips last night of the Philly-Islander game Big Mac had a feature bout as he tangled with an Islander after a hit. Big Mac stepped in and adjusted the thinking and Philly went on to a victory. Big Mac is playing 13-15 minutes a game, scoring some points and is obviously a Torts fav. 

I bring this up as, IMHO, that is what Vancouver needed last night in a big way. To a degree the Caps were doing just that. They hit EP40 a couple of times and Martin was bumped as well. Not outrageous but wouldn't some physical push back helped to motivate and juice the half asleep Canucks? 

Joshua is the better player IMHO. 

2 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Wow loose one game and everyone is committing harikari. LOL The Nucs need size and toughness to many smurfs and marshmallows 

Been saying this for 2 years.

Players like dries, boeser, rathbone, and even garland though i like him have to go to make room for heavier and bigger players with skill.   

• Cheers 4

5 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Whos going to give us a 2nd for boeser?  

Maybe not a second but the equivalent in a prospect. 

Boeser is worth something. I know he's a slug on most nights but he puts up points. Someone will be interested. I could see a team like Columbus being interested. He's under contract for a couple more years and they need scoring.

1 minute ago, Maginator said:

Maybe not a second but the equivalent in a prospect. 

Boeser is worth something. I know he's a slug on most nights but he puts up points. Someone will be interested. I could see a team like Columbus being interested. He's under contract for a couple more years and they need scoring.

I doubt it, they'll be taking back similar cap in most deals, imo.

7 hours ago, luckylager said:

What are we winning?

Yeah we lost the game but we won 5 of 6 prior.

I mean we have been winning as of late, hence the quotation's.

Crickets in the PGT since we've been playing better. Maybe it's just the mid-season lull. 

This team, for whatever reason, just seems incapable of stringing more than a couple games of high intensity, high effort games together. Washington isn't the team they used to be, they are an inferior team to Colorado and Vegas but here we are. 

They were flatter than flat last night, if these teaM is .500 or less at  the deadline------------------------------SELL

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I doubt it, they'll be taking back similar cap in most deals, imo.

I think Boeser is worth more than people on this forum make it out to be.

Yes hes streaky and not quite a game breaker but he's a perennial 20 goal scorer with the potential for more.

That's a second round pick or an equivalent IMO.

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I agree with this take.

Wish this team would take the bull by the horns more often and make something happen as opposed to waiting for it to come to them.

Some rough stuff could have really energized us after it was 2-0 or 3-1. Starting off the second period with a tilt would have been a perfect time to drop the mitts.

I'm not convinced we have enough guys willing to sacrifice a piece of themselves for the good of the team.

Edited by Maginator
  • Like 1
  • There it is 1

7 minutes ago, Maginator said:

Yes hes streaky and not quite a game breaker but he's a perennial 20 goal scorer with the potential for more.

I don't like @stawns take at all. Having said he's a smart guy and probably right. Unfortunately though we won't get anything worthwhile back at all. Garbage out garbage in. We'd be smart to take pick(s) at the deadline and use that money to upgrade in the offseason but be prepared to see Boeser traded for a RD Stillman 2.0.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Maginator said:

I think he'll bring back a #4-5 dman with cap.  Not many teams out there can absorb cap without sending cap back and the ones that can probably don't have much interest.  PA really painted himself into.a corner with the Miller and Boeser deals and he's going to have to be creative to get out of it.  It's unlikely he's going to get much cap reluef out of any deal, so he'll likely have to make multiple deals and hope he gets a million or so on a few of them.  

• Cheers 1