The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Arizona Coyotes at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 03, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Agree...

I said it earlier...

the players with real value just now is Bo, Petey and QH.., ( Petey and QH probably highest die to their age)...

After that, value goes down for our players... 

from medio return to no return ie lateral moves as you say. Only gain may be some cap space...

So if they really wanna shake it up likely 1 of the 3 above is involved...

and then some lateral moves meeded as well...

So essentially they need to fire-sale and rebuild.

Sounds like a good plan.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

I was thinking that Brock would look good on the Oilers.  McDavid, Drai, RNH.  He'll get set up anywhere he plays on that roster and the space those guys will create for him he'll have lot's of opportunity to get his shot off.  The caveat is that both teams have no cap space so it'll be hard for the Oilers to make room for Brock.  I'd take the 1st from the Oilers and run if they can find the cap space.

Foegele and Puljujarvi is probably all they would offer.

16 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Interesting how we overvalue many of our prospects, yet undervalue so many veterans.

Here's an Oilers "pundit's" take on Boeser .....

The further east/ south you go the more or I should say the less they actually know. 

• There it is 2

13 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Okay well you are welcome to offer better comparables in terms of skillset and upside to Hughes than the ones I cited, and then also offer what they were traded for as context.

At least one big, unpopular move isgoing to have to be made, imo.  It's either Hughes or Petey and Hughes comes with a unique situation in NJ.  It's absolutely nothing personal with Hughes, I like him very much.  Something has to give somewhere........the missed the chance with Miller

9 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Agree...

I said it earlier...

the players with real value just now is Bo, Petey and QH.., ( Petey and QH probably highest die to their age)...

After that, value goes down for our players... 

from medio return to no return ie lateral moves as you say. Only gain may be some cap space...

So if they really wanna shake it up likely 1 of the 3 above is involved...

and then some lateral moves meeded as well...

they coulld absorb a Hughes move, they couldn't cover a Horvat one.  They need to re-sign him

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Foegele and Puljujarvi is probably all they would offer.

Watching that Oiler blogger's video and seems like a 1st would be okay.  We'd be taking cap back of course with Foegele and Puljujarvi plus another player and we'd likely get a sweetener for taking those players.  Don't like much of what the Oilers have to offer but getting a pick and cap space is a win.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

Watching that Oiler blogger's video and seems like a 1st would be okay.  We'd be taking cap back of course with Foegele and Puljujarvi plus another player and we'd likely get a sweetener for taking those players.  Don't like much of what the Oilers have to offer but getting a pick and cap space is a win.

that doesn't help Van much at all.  They need a good dman coming back

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

they coulld absorb a Hughes move, they couldn't cover a Horvat one.  They need to re-sign him

Depends of $$$...

I like Bo and much prefer him to Miller, but this breaking out in a contract year, we saw last year with Miller...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

I agree, though Boeser isn't returning a dman we need but giving us the cap space to acquire one.

They're not getting cap space in a boeser deal, imo.........not much anyway.  And cap space is a tease, you still have to find someone wants to play in Van, there's no concern there in a hockey trade

5 minutes ago, Knucklehd said:

Except Bo has been consistant historically.  And entering his Prime

Not to the numbers now shown...

Surely have him score for fun in a contract year has to be part of the conversation. 

And its still about $. 

Bo may want a kings ransom. And he is putting himself in prime position to do so. 

32 minutes ago, stawns said:

At least one big, unpopular move isgoing to have to be made, imo.  It's either Hughes or Petey and Hughes comes with a unique situation in NJ.  It's absolutely nothing personal with Hughes, I like him very much.  Something has to give somewhere........the missed the chance with Miller

I think there are more Petterssons in the league at any given time than there are Hughes.  Pettersson is as of yet more unachieved upside than Hughes is.  Pettersson is a "blue chip first line center" who has never scored 70 points yet.

1 minute ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I think there are more Petterssons in the league at any given time than there are Hughes.  Pettersson is as of yet more unachieved upside than Hughes is.  Pettersson is a "blue chip first line center" who has never scored 70 points yet.

Yet he doesnt have 2 star brothers in a major American team that likely thinks they are one star dman away from being a serious contender.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

They're not getting cap space in a boeser deal, imo.........not much anyway.  And cap space is a tease, you still have to find someone wants to play in Van, there's no concern there in a hockey trade

Take for example the Oilers.  We'd have to take JP/Yamamoto plus a pick.  We can let JP walk or try to flip him at the deadline.  Yamamoto is a young enough that we could flip him as well since we have an abundance of wingers like him.  Letting JP walk is 3m right there and we can even retain on yamamto and get another 1.5 or clear his cap completely.

This is where management needs to get creative.  They need to think a couple moves ahead to create the cap breathing room while hopefully not spending assets.  Maybe we could flip the pick we get to clear more cap space.  It's all about parlaying the first move into other moves and that begins with creating some cap flexibility.

15 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Horvatt has been scoring at this pace since part way through last year, so it is a bit misleading to call his level of play a 'going for a contract' thing.

Extension talks began after the 2022 TDL didn't they? I don't dislike Bo but I also see this as anywhere near sustainable...can't see how team can justify signing him to a 8x8+ contract. Need to learn from the mistakes with Miller's contract...both players are support pieces on a good team

Edited by 5nothincanucksohno
  • Cheers 2