Warhippy

37 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Hope for the best, prepare for the 3rd. 

There ya go. 

Prepare for the 3rd so you can win da turd!  :towel:

f558a5e7-e433-4618-9cae-b89fd70bdc57_tex

1 hour ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

I'll never forgive JB extending Virtanen over Toffoli 

I desperately wanted us to send Virtanen + to CAL for Bennett when he was available :(

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Pears said:

This is why I don’t rely on fancy charts to tell me the whole story. The eye test tells me Schenn for stretches this year has been our second best/most reliable defenseman. 

I think the chart does suggest it.  Our defence is just trash in general, so nobody looks good.  There isn't a single D-man on the Canucks with WAR% over 50, and that makes sense considering we have the 2nd most goals against, and (aside from Hughes) it's not the defence driving our offensive play either.

I know the whole trade a re-sign in off season move rarely gets done, even though its mentioned often in proposals.

But I think Schenn is a likely suitor for that. Seems to really love playing here.

Speaking of bringing back old players, I'd love to bring back Tyler Motte in the off season a long with Schenner

Edited by BlakeQuinnAndEggs
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

39 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Can’t bat 1.000, I’m not a pro-Benning, but I give credit where credit is due and EP was a grand slam and QH a home run.

EP was looked completely lost under Travis Green (the *SECOND* blunder Benning made in regards to head coaches)

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • RoughGame 1

38 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Can’t bat 1.000, I’m not a pro-Benning, but I give credit where credit is due and EP was a grand slam and QH a home run.

Top 10 picks should always end up as NHLers, and often top of the lineup players.  Not batting 50%.

Petterson was the grand slam, literally every pundit had Hughes to be taken in that spot if he fell that far so it was a no brainer.  That was a no brainer.  At least with Petterson, the prevailing sentiment was that there were a couple other guys that should have been taken earlier... and Benning beat the consensus on that.

12 minutes ago, austy said:

Calgary? I'd like schenn to get another cup but cheering for Calgary is gonna be tough 

Calgary is perfect. We can take their second round pick, and they will miss the playoffs anyways. Luke can come back home, rest up for his new role as our captain. 

Edited by rekker

36 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

People will question if that was a Brackett effect

So then shouldn’t we blame Virtanen and Juolevi on Brackett’s predecessor.

Can’t put the good one on someone we « like » and the bad one on someone we « hate ».  

Gotta be objective here, ultimately it wasn’t one man’s decision but rather a group consensus.  But the GMs does have final say.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Provost said:

Top 10 picks should always end up as NHLers, and often top of the lineup players.  Not batting 50%.

Petterson was the grand slam, literally every pundit had Hughes to be taken in that spot if he fell that far so it was a no brainer.  That was a no brainer.  At least with Petterson, the prevailing sentiment was that there were a couple other guys that should have been taken earlier... and Benning beat the consensus on that.

2/4 isn’t that 50%?  Jury is still out on Podz, that the only other top from Benning isn’t it?

plus Boeser and McCann were pretty good picks too.  Where it went south in the development part which is different than drafting and at that the Canucks is one of the worst franchise since the early 2000s

7 minutes ago, Provost said:

People need to be shown a list of other 5th and 7th overall picks to understand how likely it is to get a star there. It's not 100% or even 70% of the time. 

Just now, timberz21 said:

2/4 isn’t that 50%?  Jury is still out on Podz, that the only other top from Benning isn’t it?

plus Boeser and McCann were pretty good picks too.  Where it went south in the development part which is different than drafting and at that the Canucks is one of the worst franchise since the early 2000s

Hiring Benning for his scouting was fine in isolation, but letting him be the main hockey ops guy was a mistake and that's squarely on ownership. 

Geoff Moulson admitted that having a GM without a president was a huge mistake in Montreal. Aquaman never owned up.