The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour). Jake Livingstone D - NCAA - NHL Availability

SilentSam

1 hour ago, myre said:

Right. This same situation got us Bo Horvat in the past.

I’m sure we’d be able do better than that this time..

that was almost a forced issue unfortunately.

I wonder what Demko would bring after this season if he keeps playing like this ?

A top 5 to 10 pick OA plus ? 

back to Jake,   Hope he becomes ours.

32 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I’m sure we’d be able do better than that this time..

that was almost a forced issue unfortunately.

I wonder what Demko would bring after this season if he keeps playing like this ?

A top 5 to 10 pick OA plus

back to Jake,   Hope he becomes ours.

That would be extremely doubtful but I sure hope it comes true.

15 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Third pair Johansson

OEL is a question mark.Could see Rathbone finally getting a full year.

OEL will be a Canuck for a few more years too expensive to buy out with 4 yrs remaining..

No real room for Rathbone? I like Rathbone just never really had a good long look in Vancouver..

1. Hronek 25 RD  - Graves 27 LD ((stay at home D man 6'5 -225 lbs toughness and grit (UFA - 4 yrs X 4--4.5  million ?)

2. Hughes 23 LD -  Livingstone 23 RD

3.OEL. 30 LD. -- Bear 25 RD ( sign 1 yr X 2.2 million ) or Johansson 23 RD-- Spare Juulsen 25 RD --Burroughs 27 LD -  ((Brisebois 25 LD signed))

25 minutes ago, wildcam said:

OEL will be a Canuck for a few more years too expensive to buy out with 4 yrs remaining..

No real room for Rathbone? I like Rathbone just never really had a good long look in Vancouver..

1. Hronek 25 RD  - Graves 27 LD ((stay at home D man 6'5 -225 lbs toughness and grit (UFA - 4 yrs X 4--4.5  million ?)

3.OEL. 30 LD. -- Bear 25 RD ( sign 1 yr X 2.2 million ) or Johansson 23 RD-- Spare Juulsen 25 RD --Burroughs 27 LD -  ((Brisebois 25 LD signed))

That's a pretty expensive 3rd pairing.  OEL and Bear are $10 million of cap space...

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, arsenalian said:

So….Livingstone….do we really need him?

Just trying to get this back on topic

From the clips I've seen, he has great anticipation of the rush, a good first pass, fearless as far as blocking shots on the Penalty Kill. He looked like he had some trouble with more side to side players that were quick, skating needs a bit of work. But, all things considered, this guy has big potential. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

Think they want someone besides Graves. 

Does make tons of sense to but OEL out as we can't move him.We trade Myers and BB,buy out Person or Poolman if they can play.We have cap room to add two players and still have cap room moving forward.  

Our minor players a few will get a look plus signing two or three like Livingstone and we have a good NHL team moving forward.

13 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Think they want someone besides Graves. 

Does make tons of sense to but OEL out as we can't move him.We trade Myers and BB,buy out Person or Poolman if they can play.We have cap room to add two players and still have cap room moving forward.  

Our minor players a few will get a look plus signing two or three like Livingstone and we have a good NHL team moving forward.

Not easy to move the OEL contract with 4 more years plus  NTC he can choose where he goes? Remember the year before Vancouver trade for OEL at that time he would only waive his NTC to Boston or Vancouver... Benning was in drivers seat knowing Coyotes wanted to move this crazy contract?

We trade away 3 players X 9 million X 1 year- expire contracts--- We take back OEL 8.2 X 7 yrs and bonus for us Garland -- That should of been the trade at most..

OH OH .. we give Coyotes 10th O/A pick and a 2nd rounder... Such a bad trade with Benning knowing Coyotes really want to move this OEL with so many years left. Such a mess and 4 years left..

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

Not easy to move the OEL contract with 4 more years plus  NTC he can choose where he goes? Remember the year before Vancouver trade for OEL at that time he would only waive his NTC to Boston or Vancouver... Benning was in drivers seat knowing Coyotes wanted to move this crazy contract?

We trade away 3 players X 9 million X 1 year- expire contracts--- We take back OEL 8.2 X 7 yrs and bonus for us Garland -- That should of been the trade at most..

OH OH .. we give Coyotes 10th O/A pick and a 2nd rounder... Such a bad trade with Benning knowing Coyotes really want to move this OEL with so many years left. Such a mess and 4 years left..

Yeah, it was definitely a regrettable trade. I tried to spin it as positive as I could (mainly just for my own peace of mind—I’d argued strongly for months against acquiring OEL but once it was clear he was coming here, I switched into positivity mode), at the time, and for another team it might have made sense. But trading short term cap dumps for a longterm cap dump was very poor planning for a team in our cycle.

That’s nothing against OEL. He was good last year. Positive impacts on-ice and a stabilizing piece on the roster. And maybe he’ll be good again next year. But he’s never going to be positive value over the remainder of that entire contract.

If we were in a window where we needed immediate help to win now, while clearing net cap (for one season) on surplus players in the transaction, it would’ve been an acceptable move (if a shortsighted one). But it was a disaster for any team rebuilding/retooling towards a future window. Those last few years of OEL’s deal are really gonna hurt.

Given the leverage the Canucks had, and the longterm poison pill they were swallowing, they should have been able to negotiate something more favourable. Either getting more retention by Arizona or Vancouver giving up less assets, or both, would have made for a better deal.

But, of course, the best deal would’ve been no deal at all. 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, wildcam said:

Hughes is not second pairing 

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, Vermette9 said:

with a top 4 like that it really doesn't matter.

Both of those top 4 lines could eat up 20-25 minutes per game so the bottom guys just pick up the scraps. 

1 hour ago, Vermette9 said:

Have we had a D man who could carry AHL level partners in the hardest minutes before? Imagine what 

Hughes accomplishes is we kept Tanev. “Screw You Benn[ing]” 

We can all understand why Miller spoke publicly about the “shocking reset”. Damn that was unforgivable losing Tanev like that. And for Schmid, who cost more! What the heck was Benning thinking? 

We should try ar3 hardest to get Tanev back. Perfect partner for Hughes. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Don’t even need to google to know that he is or soon will be a client of Dan Millstein…

Makes sense they’ve been watching him though since he’s a teammate of Canucks prospect Jack Malone and other rumoured signing Sam Malinski.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Tanks a lot 1

38 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Russian so could be a Millstein client 

left (not right shot) C

so helps C organizational depth 

4 years in NCAA started at age 20 - so over Ager

but wears an A

now has an Ivy League degree 

ppg overall less than 1/game - no too impressive 

size not too impressive…

is he fast ?

maybe two way ?

pk monster in ncaa?

im not that excited - rather his teammate Sam makinski or whatever R shot D who can skate please 

7 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

Russian so could be a Millstein client 

left (not right shot) C

so helps C organizational depth 

4 years in NCAA started at age 20 - so over Ager

but wears an A

now has an Ivy League degree 

ppg overall less than 1/game - no too impressive 

size not too impressive…

is he fast ?

maybe two way ?

pk monster in ncaa?

im not that excited - rather his teammate Sam makinski or whatever R shot D who can skate please 

A lot of names get thrown around this time of year.

Hes likely their plan C if they can’t sign Livingstone, Malinski, or Pulli.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

On 3/12/2023 at 4:54 PM, DeNiro said:

Don’t even need to google to know that he is or soon will be a client of Dan Millstein…

Makes sense they’ve been watching him though since he’s a teammate of Canucks prospect Jack Malone and other rumoured signing Sam Malinski.

He wouldn't have an agent yet as he hasn't signed a pro contract.  But I hear Milstein is on the phone with him as we speak...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He wouldn't have an agent yet as he hasn't signed a pro contract.  But I hear Milstein is on the phone with him as we speak...

Haha, yeah. He’ll only have a “family advisor” at this point, but it’s kinda “wink-wink, nudge-nudge” when it comes to agents and skirting NCAA regulations. It’ll be a very quick process, once his college career finishes and he needs official representation for a deal. 

But it’ll be a while yet. Minnesota State (Mankato), Livingstone’s team, will play next on March 18th vs Northern Michigan in the CCHA tournament final. They’re also ranked either 12th or 13th nationally, so even if they lose their conference championship game (winners will get an automatic berth), they’re almost guaranteed to get selected for the NCAA national tournament. Earliest Livingstone should finish his season is March 23rd (first round of nationals). Latest is April 8th (finals).

EDIT: Just saw you guys were talking about Max Andreev. It’s basically the same story. Cornell will play this weekend in their conference tournament and they’re ranked one spot ahead of Minnesota State, so they’ll also get selected for nationals, even if they don’t win ECAC. March 24th is probably the earliest Andreev’s season ends.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Tanks a lot 1