The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Calgary Flames | Dec. 14, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'm pretty sure Calgary is worried as their team is slowly going into the toilet, lol...

If you think $10.5 million per year is good value for a guy who may only get 70 points then I don't know what to tell you.  Miller can take faceoffs, play centre, hit, drive play, is great on the PP, can even kill penalties and is a point a game guy even in a bad year.  And he's $2.5 million less than Huberdeau.

I'm sorry, but if I'm choosing right now I'm taking Miller and his contract over Huberdeau any day...

Yes the Hub deal makes feel more better about JT freals

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Gurn said:

The cap is going to go up!!!

so the mistakes won't seem as bad!!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

no- the mistakes are just as bad, because they still spent money they shouldn't have.

Thus we are further behind the teams that did not squander their money.

Ps- the cap isn't going up all that much for next year- so misspent money is still bad.

Where did you get that info, Gurn?

11 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Where did you get that info, Gurn?

The part of cap going up by about a million, was from the league meetings in Florida-via the count himself.

Unless the players want to give up part of the contract in return for a higher cap this year.

Gary would be happy to re-negotiate a more favourable deal for the owners.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/gary-bettman-says-nhl-salary-cap-may-only-go-up-by-1-million-and-that-s-bad-news-for-the-canucks/ar-AA15eyWK

'On Monday, Gary Bettman, the beloved commissioner of the National Hockey League, spoke at day one of the NHL’s annual December Board of Governors meeting at Breakers Resort in Palm Beach, Florida. There wasn’t much that came out of that day that was particularly newsworthy.

But on Tuesday, Bettman talked about what hockey fans everywhere really want to hear about — the salary cap.

Salary cap may only go up by $1 million

Daily Faceoff’s Frank Seravalli is documenting each day of the Board of Governers meeting over at DailyFaceoff.com. Here is what he had to say about the salary cap discussion on day two:

“Bettman said in his media availability that the league is currently projecting approximately $70 million to be remaining on the escrow debt to be repaid by players to owners after this season.

“According to Bettman, that would require the NHL’s overall business to exceed expectations by $140 to $150 million over the final six-plus months of the season in order for that debt to be retired.

“If it is not retired in full, then the Memorandum of Understanding inked between the NHL and the NHL Players’ Association in 2020 as a result of business interruption due to the pandemic calls for a scant $1 million increase and a fourth straight season with an essentially frozen salary cap…

continues at link

Edited by Gurn
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

He is young enough that if you do it now, it can age real well later

I have no problem with him signing for 10 years... none what so ever... could maybe keep it at 10+ then... would be a real statement of intend.

36 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

definitely agree with that - but right now, 8 million for JT miller is extremely fair

and if we assume the cap will be much higher towards the tail end of his contract, that will make his cap hit proportionately smaller as his age catches up with his play. so overall im pretty happy with it. Would i have liked him moved for chytil, lundkvist, and a 1st? yeah i think so. But 8m a year for him is not bad, and he can still be very useful to us and on a "good" contract if our window to compete is in 3-4 years. 

media has been missing the mark talking about how the canucks probably "regret" re-signing jt miller. i highly doubt they do. it seems to me if they had to choose between 8m for miller (point per game guy consistently in vancouver) and 8.5-9 for horvat (50 point guy playing an absolutely incredible season), i think they can and should pick miller. the return for horvat will also theoretically be bigger than it would have been for miller.

last note on this - miller put up 99 points last season, but his 8m contract is reflective of a point per game player. he and management both determined that it was an outlier season, and his contract reflects that.

Bo doesnt seem to believe his season is an outlier. And it might not be. But it would be dumb to pay him like a 40-50 goal scorer based on 1 year of production, even though a ton of people seem to (or want to) believe that this will be his new standard moving forward.

Fair enough. I still think Miller's signing and the subsequent outlook and moves from management will hinder us from making the team truly competitive but we'll see what happens. I wouldn't want to be paying Bo $8 or $9 mil a season either. The right move would have been extending him last year and trading Miller but here we are. I have very little faith in management moving forward. If I wasn't so apathetic at this point I'd be fairly worried about how this team will look moving forward a year ... but whatever lol. Just sit back and watch is all we can do now.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Petey I can absolutely get behind getting a top contract on this team.

The CGY flames are a perfect example of contracts I would not do, and illustrate why going long term with Bo and Miller are not ideal.  (I do think the Canucks should move both despite the desire to be competitive in the short term).

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

idk, my long rambling answer was just to say i dont think 8m for miller was a mistake at all.

all evidence points to him being a top 6 center who can put up a point per game alongside inferior linemates. Petey will also be our other top-6 center.

Someone had to go - and if it's horvat, we can either make a lateral move to fix the D or get a haul of futures.

I like Bo but man.. giving him 8m+ for one season of outperformance would be dumb. Id be saying the same if Miller got the huberdeau deal. 

Actually the most important evidence we have this year when he was tasked with being a full time center from the get go is he can't handle it.

• Cheers 2

14 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Ya but you have to realize Kuzmenko might not want to stay here either which means he will likely be dealt to not lose him for nothing. They can't risk it.

Maybe not, but as is, he is the one you chose, if you can...

If he doesn't show an interest in staying towards TDL, re address the issue and deal him, but nothing suggests that this is the case...

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

He's smart enough to know getting fed gimmes by Pettersson is in his own best interest.

Is he though? Athletes can be quite arrogant and he might think EP40 is getting all those assists because he (Kuz) has a knack for being in the right place at the right time and is finishing.