The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 19, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Typically,  I'd agree rek.

But my friend pointed out to me that the players should have the most respect of all for their jersey - yet their efforts on a nightly basis certainly doesn't indicate they care all that much. Maybe they care and are trying in vain,  but it sure doesn't show.

It's been so, so frustrating. I have zero expectations at this point.

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

It's been so, so frustrating. I have zero expectations at this point.

As a lifelong fan myself unfortunately,  it's sad that you can't,  at this level,  expect each and every player to give their best effort on a nightly basis.  These guys are supposed professionals playing in the best league in the world, yet we have got a full 60min effort from the entire team what, maybe 8 or 9 times this year?

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

As a lifelong fan myself unfortunately,  it's sad that you can't,  at this level,  expect each and every player to give their best effort on a nightly basis.  These guys are supposed professionals playing in the best league in the world, yet we have got a full 60min effort from the entire team what, maybe 8 or 9 times this year?

It's baffling. What gets me are the basic hockey mistakes. Positioning, body engagement, body contact on the defensive side of your opponent, backchecking up the middle ice, tieing up sticks. I could go on. It's simply baffling.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

38 minutes ago, rekker said:

It's a tough time for all us fans. It's a tough franchise to love, but it will never ever change for me. It's my team. 

Good for you, for public declaring your loyalty - whatever that means.  The mediocre product on the ice and to insist that no directional change, is needed, is somewhat insulting to the long time fans or fans in general.  As for the jersey guy, I REALLY hope he does it again but this time, he needs to put Aquamans' name, to make it more effective.  

You obviously, have a different take but the shaming of another fan and taking the moral high point, says alot.  

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Hopefully we get a first. They look desperate. 

Wouldn't shock me, Leafs seem to like to add multiple deadline pieces and they've gotta fill out their roster at low cost 

They've also got the looming pressure of incoming Matthews, Marner, and Nylander extensions and Tavares will expire too

The other three likely cannibalize much or what comes off via Tavares but they still won't come cheap

1 hour ago, rekker said:

It's baffling. What gets me are the basic hockey mistakes. Positioning, body engagement, body contact on the defensive side of your opponent, backchecking up the middle ice, tieing up sticks. I could go on. It's simply baffling.

Couldn't agree more.  For a while I thought it was the players sending a message but I don't know now.  We are so bad everywhere that it seems like it's a lack of buy in, systems confusion.

But our defensive zone play is so bad that we defy all hockey logic.  They teach these fundamentals in novice FFS.

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

We argue because we care, but i suspect we're all going to xanax out and passively watch pretty soon.

I'd say fire Bruce but this team has such a limited ceiling right now that its pointless (though yeo could go and we'd be fine). That being said he seems lost. The lineup decisions continue to baffle me- terrible lines, roster moves (keeping pederson over hoglander?) and constant no practices. In any case there's no grit to fix the defence or checking. We're trending in the right direction for a high pick, just need to not screw up some big trade options. 

Least EP will be back soon, he's worth watching.

Yeo Gotta Go!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rekker said:

Throwing a jersey on the ice during play is stupid. Throwing on the ice during or after a whistle is classless. Respect the jersey. Sports are tough, it's up and down, it's painfull and rewarding. Throwing a jersey on the ice is for pussys. 

Normally I would agree, mainly because they are so damn expensive.  But see it from another perspective. there’s no greater shame than seeing a team’s jersey on the ice…. Media , owners, players all see it.  Maybe this does something proactively if it continues to happen… also, the fan who through it probably has had enough.  It really is embarrassing seeing this team play the way they have with the management they have.   

Edited by sassbs

2 minutes ago, sassbs said:

Normally I would agree, mainly because they are so damn expensive.  But see it from another perspective. there’s no greater shame than seeing a team’s jersey on the ice…. Media , owners, players all see it.  Maybe this does something proactively if it continues to happen… also, the fan who through it probably has had enough.  It really is embarrassing seeing this team play the way they have with the management they have.   

I hate seeing it but maybe it’s the message that ownership sees that forces change. It worked last year vs Pittsburgh and hopefully it works again. We as fans cannot continue to support mediocrity with no message from the very top and this seems to get through. Aqua is the root cause of everything in Vancouver Canuck land and if we want change we have to continue to disgrace him. 

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Rathbone didn't play for Abbotsford today.

Yeah - I mentioned him as it seems he is always cited as one of our top prospects.... Abby won comfortably without points from the NHL contingent (except Lockwood. - he had a strong game)