The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Miller now (tied) as 17th Worst +/- player in the entire NHL - out of 825

Rate this topic

RU SERIOUS

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He was a -35 in the 2013-2014 season, 3rd worst in the entire NHL that year, only behind Steve Ott and our own Alex Edler who was the worst at -38.  He had 51 goals and 79 points.  Washington definitely should have traded him back then.  Heck, we should have traded Edler too...

Wow I didn’t think it was that long ago, time flies.  
The Canucks also are to loyal to players and it ends up biting us in the ass later 

9 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

While he's been mostly on the heels of our previously worst +/- player (Boeser - who's not far behind him), Miller has now surpassed him as the 30th worst +/- player in the entire National Hockey League out of all 825 players and only a few more +/- slots from being in the Top 10 Worst in the League.   As the panel on HNIC pointed out during the game against Calgary on Saturday and what has been more than obvious to most "Normal" fans, is that he doesn't seem to "walk his talk" about working hard or effort.   

Now that he's "all set" with his new contract, is this decline and "checked-out - I don't give a F&(#" attitude what we'll have to endure until the next decade in the early 2030's when his contract finally runs out or will we ever see the great effort he made in his contract year again, or will the Canucks finally get rid of him this year before it's too late and his NTC kicks in from his new contract next year and we're stuck with him until the next decade?

I can't complain ....

sad homer simpson GIF

9 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

While he's been mostly on the heels of our previously worst +/- player (Boeser - who's not far behind him), Miller has now surpassed him as the 30th worst +/- player in the entire National Hockey League out of all 825 players and only a few more +/- slots from being in the Top 10 Worst in the League.   As the panel on HNIC pointed out during the game against Calgary on Saturday and what has been more than obvious to most "Normal" fans, is that he doesn't seem to "walk his talk" about working hard or effort.   

Now that he's "all set" with his new contract, is this decline and "checked-out - I don't give a F&(#" attitude what we'll have to endure until the next decade in the early 2030's when his contract finally runs out or will we ever see the great effort he made in his contract year again, or will the Canucks finally get rid of him this year before it's too late and his NTC kicks in from his new contract next year and we're stuck with him until the next decade?

hey I was just looking at Miller 

Tied in points with Bergeron, Marchand, K Hayes and others

Tied  at -13 with Seider, Zegras ( two 21 year olds) Gudbranson and Jason Dickinson ( a couple of ex-Canuck stalwarts) and Kevin Hayes

some folks say +/- is a bad stat

maybe points isn't so great either

• Haha 1
  • There it is 1

9 hours ago, higgyfan said:

The +/- stat has always been considered a questionable indicator of a bad player.  I don't know where you found

this list (as usual no link to support your statement), but I did find the 25 worst +/- players and there are some

some darn good hockey players on it.

https://www.statmuse.com/nhl/ask/worst-plus-minus-in-nhl-2022-2023

It would be a pleasure to provide the link to the official NHL stats for you and any other folks that don't know where to start to obtain Actual Facts - instead relying of here say, rumors and warm fuzzy feelings in their tummy that cause them to dismiss anything that differs from their biased, unsubstantiated opinions which is not wisest.    Here you go................... https://www.nhl.com/stats/skaters?reportType=season&seasonFrom=20222023&seasonTo=20222023&gameType=2&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=a_plusMinus&page=0&pageSize=50

Let me know if you need any further links to Actual Facts and always Glad to help.....and my sincere apologies for not originally including the link, however I must have been drunk or something assuming that posters on CDC (especially those with over 5K post) might know a thing or two about where to obtain these actual statistics.  How foolish of me.

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, combover said:

he was good but he’s got his retirement contract and he’s playing like it. he’s just starting to get the well deserved negative publicity for his lazy play and entitled attitude. 
the only time he’s been even remotely effective this season is when he playing on horvats wing. 

he’s flat out sucked at Center - so 8 mill for a second third line winger seems a bit steep.

He’ll be 50 point player in two years and whatever team has him will be looking to pay to get out from the boat anchor contract. 
great players make those around them better he doesn’t. 
he’s no leader and with rumours of a toxic dressing room he’d be my bet as the issue. 
Should have been traded last TDL or at the draft 

hopefully they can find a sucker to take him this year. 

**************************** POST OF THE MONTH **********************

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Rutherford and Allvin's first(and hopefully last) big blunder. Forget trading Miller. What other GM would give up a high draft pick, prospect and cap room for him?? Well, Benning is unemployed and extremely unlikely to be a GM ever again, so that's out of the question. 

So the best and only way is to buy out Miller's new contract unless it can be voided. The returns would mean Horvat wanting to re-sign here and as well as Pettersson when his contract expires plus other players. The overall team performance would also improve on a consistent basis.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, MNaslund?? said:

He’s cool, but he’s a Putin sympathizer so he’s just lucky to play in the league imo 

It's easy to denounce Putin when you're a nobody with no family members there but he still has a lot of relatives there. Considering how many critical people get accidentally poisoned I can accept him being silent to protect his family. He didn't say "yeah let's take it back" he said "please no more war". He did refer to Putin as his president but that's just what the reality is. https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/nhl-power-rankings-hurricanes-surge-to-no-1-spot-amid-nine-game-winning-streak/

I support Ukraine but i wouldn't risk my family for a soundbite.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, MNaslund?? said:

Wow I didn’t think it was that long ago, time flies.  
The Canucks also are to loyal to players and it ends up biting us in the ass later 

We are not loyal to players....

We let so many defenceman walkway for free.  Ohlund, Ehrhoff, Mitchell, Salo, Hamhuis, Tanev, Stecher... how were we loyal to them...?

• There it is 1

I initially read this as he has the worst +/- out of the entire NHL and was like whoa ok that's bad... and then looked it up and he's got 30 points in 36 games and is a -13 and realized the title says he's 30th out of 825 players and this is considered an atrocious season for him by many here (largely due to his new contract and the fact that not trading him signaled we aren't rebuilding, which we should do, so now people are just upset about that)... I mean... I'm just not sure this is that bad, all things considered?

Edit: and I've literally been calling for a rebuild since before Benning was fired, so I'm sure I'm extremely biased towards finding things wrong with Miller to begin with...

Edited by awalk

8 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

It would be a pleasure to provide the link to the official NHL stats for you and any other folks that don't know where to start to obtain Actual Facts - instead relying of here say, rumors and warm fuzzy feelings in their tummy that cause them to dismiss anything that differs from their biased, unsubstantiated opinions which is not wisest.    Here you go................... https://www.nhl.com/stats/skaters?reportType=season&seasonFrom=20222023&seasonTo=20222023&gameType=2&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=a_plusMinus&page=0&pageSize=50

Imo, it's always important to add a link to a post; especially if it supports your agenda.  A lot of people that read

these messages, can't be bothered to verify what other members have stated; so will take the message at

face value.  Anyway, the link I posted has the same information and makes it easier for folks to have a look.

More importantly, the points I made in my original response has been totally ignored: the validity of the +/- stat

in assessing a player's value to his team; and the huge # of very good players that are on the provided

'Worst +/- lists'.  There are several posters that have added to the list of excellent players that have had far

worse stats than Miller, during their careers.

8 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Let me know if you need any further links to Actual Facts and always Glad to help.....and my sincere apologies for not originally including the link, however I must have been drunk or something assuming that posters on CDC (especially those with over 5K post) might know a thing or two about where to obtain these actual statistics.  How foolish of me.

• Thanks 1