The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Alexis Lafrenière

39 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Why would the Rangers be interested in Bo, when they already have two adequate defensive centermen, playing on their two top lines?

I think a deal involving Podkolzin and Kuzmenko, would be more reasonable and in favour for them. Considering, the chances of retaining Kuzmenko is more likely than them retaining Horvat.

BO isn't a defensive centreman.  He would be providing them with goals and faceoffs. Trocheck can play as a 3C and move Chytil to the wing where he belongs.  Or Trocheck can play as a RW on BO's line.

As for Kuzmenko, he's a let winger and they already have Panarin and Kreider on the left side which is the reason Lafreniere can't get into the top 6.

• Cheers 3

5 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

I think a lot of people will be disappointed when they realize Horvat and Miller won't land us a piece like Dobson/Nemec/Lafreniere/Byram.

We could get a 1st and good prospect, but those top tier prospects are only obtainable when elite players go the other way.

Thats the price, our captain, top C, top f/o guy, top 3 goal scorers on pace for over 50.

Nemec is not on the NJD roster, adding bo or jt and not taking away from the roster makes them instant cup favorites.

Wash has Ryan strome C Ovechkin... Backstrom & Wilson hurt.

do not want lafreniere/ Rick Nash vibes.

do not want Byram, injury history to date and another LHD

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

BO isn't a defensive centreman.  He would be providing them with goals and faceoffs. Trocheck can play as a 3C and move Chytil to the wing where he belongs.  Or Trocheck can play as a RW on BO's line.

As for Kuzmenko, he's a let winger and they already have Panarin and Kreider on the left side which is the reason Lafreniere can't get into the top 6.

Trocheck is just as good of a faceoff centermen as Horvat is, albeit takes 100 less draws. Even if they made those moves. It’s highly unlikely they’d be able to retain Horvat with how much he’s asking. One year of Horvat isn’t a logical move for them, unless they want to dismantle their depth to overpay Horvat. 

Like I said, it’s more likely they’d be able to re-sign Kuzmenko than Horvat. Plus, they get added depth with Podkolzin.

Lafreniere can’t play in the top 6, not because he’s being blocked by those two. It’s because he’s too inconsistent with his play. He’s able to play on the right-side and has done so in the past, but for whatever reason Gallant just doesn’t trust him to play in that role. So he staples him on the 3rd line. It’s kind of like the same situation with Boeser here.

3 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Trocheck is just as good of a faceoff centermen as Horvat is, albeit takes 100 less draws. Even if they made those moves. It’s highly unlikely they’d be able to retain Horvat with how much he’s asking. One year of Horvat isn’t a logical move for them, unless they want to dismantle their depth to overpay Horvat. 

Like I said, it’s more likely they’d be able to re-sign Kuzmenko than Horvat. Plus, they get added depth with Podkolzin.

Lafreniere can’t play in the top 6, not because he’s being blocked by those two. It’s because he’s too inconsistent with his play. He’s able to play on the right-side and has done so in the past, but for whatever reason Gallant just doesn’t trust him to play in that role. So he staples him on the 3rd line. It’s kind of like the same situation with Boeser here.

There's the trade... a third line winger for a third line winger ..................:ph34r:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dazzle said:

The logic, or lack thereof, is that every trade "rumour" that involves a player must be true, particularly if a Canuck player is involved. On the same token, every discussion that miraculously involves the Canucks requires us to offer the players we don't want (or the lowest offer possible), in exchange for a player that the other team is speculated to trade away.

Ah gotcha. Yeah, I think the appetite for change is at an all time high, so every little bit of news is pounced on. 

Edited by Kenny Powers
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 2

8 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

By giving the agent permission to facilitate a trade, what do you think the team is saying?

We understand you might wanta fresh start and a new opportunity. We are giving you the courtesy of being able to create an opportunity amd choose a suitable landing place. 

We are not however willing to give away a good player for nothing and we will be keeping our asset until we can extract some value.

Far far reach from "yeah we don't want them and are waiting for a trade." Something no team has said... including the Rangers.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, coryberg said:

We understand you might wanta fresh start and a new opportunity. We are giving you the courtesy of being able to create an opportunity amd choose a suitable landing place. 

We are not however willing to give away a good player for nothing and we will be keeping our asset until we can extract some value.

Far far reach from "yeah we don't want them and are waiting for a trade." Something no team has said... including the Rangers.

Words that Jim Benning never said.:P  (Edler, Tanev, Markstrom, Hamhuis, etc.,)

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, shiznak said:

Why would the Rangers be interested in Bo, when they already have two adequate defensive centermen, playing on their two top lines?

I think a deal involving Podkolzin and Kuzmenko, would be more reasonable and in favour for them. Considering, the chances of retaining Kuzmenko is more likely than them retaining Horvat.

Rangers are in a bit of a win now mode and Bo would complement that very well.

Question being what they are wanting in return for AL. I would think they would be looking for a roster player(s) that can help push them up a tier or two to be a legitimate cup contender.

3 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Thats the price, our captain, top C, top f/o guy, top 3 goal scorers on pace for over 50.

Nemec is not on the NJD roster, adding bo or jt and not taking away from the roster makes them instant cup favorites.

Wash has Ryan strome C Ovechkin... Backstrom & Wilson hurt.

do not want lafreniere/ Rick Nash vibes.

do not want Byram, injury history to date and another LHD

We can't lose Horvat for nothing, so we have to get what we can, which will likely be a 1st and good prospect.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, coryberg said:

Far far reach from "yeah we don't want them and are waiting for a trade." Something no team has said... including 

Does involving Hankinson indicate they are ready to move on from Boeser, and are looking for a trade?

How about this non-Canucks example:

• Kevin Weekes dropped a small nugget on Twitter yesterday, indicating that Nikita Zaitsev was not only on the block but that the Senators would be willing to add a pick or prospect to offload the veteran defender’s contract. This is essentially what fans have been assuming and/or hoping would happen here, so it’s good to see Weekes confirming that. The question, though, is why now? Intriguing.
Edited by Kenny Powers
added example

13 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

What? He’s 21, and he’s progressed each season so far, and also elevated his game in the playoffs last year and showed he can be a physical specimen when games get rough…. I’m going to respectfully disagree on that take, as yakupov regressed every season for his first 5 seasons as well 

You can respectfully disagree.

But when you put the first 150 games of the following players side by side they are incredibly similar.  keeping in mind how absolutely horrible those Oilers teams were for Yakupov vs how Lafreniere is being played/sheltered in a solid NY team

Lafreniere

Galchenyuk

Yakupov

Now, for fun.  Look at the first season of Laf vs Podkolzin.

While Laf may be tracking upwards slowly.  for a 1st overall, the suggestions of value some give him based on his progression are rather insane.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

We can't lose Horvat for nothing, so we have to get what we can, which will likely be a 1st and good prospect.

The Value of Horvat/miller at the TDL for 2.750/2.625 is worth far more then a late first and a good prospect.

"The Sabres packaged Eichel with a third-round pick in 2023 in exchange for Peyton Krebs, Alex Tuch, a first-round pick in 2022 (Noah Ostlund), and a second-round pick in 2023"

"the Panthers parted with Owen Tippett, a third-round pick in 2023, and a conditional first-round pick in 2024 in exchange for Giroux, German Rubtsov, Connor Bunnaman, and a fifth-round selection in 2024"

"The deal broke down as such: St. Louis and a 2015 second-round pick (Oliver Kylington) went to the Big Apple, while Callahan, a first-round pick in 2014 (Josh Ho-Sang), a first-round pick in 2015 (Anthony Beauvillier), and a seventh-round pick in 2015 (Ziyat Paigin) went south to the Lightning"

"acquiring Richards and Rob Bordson for a second-round draft pick in 2012 (Devin Shore), Brayden Schenn, and Wayne Simmonds"

There are 5 examples of team captains that are C or fwds being traded at the TDL, there are several more examples I chose to omit.

Ron Francis, Gretzky, Jagr, Messier, Iginla** etc are all hall of famers, captains and or multiple cup champs and would not be fair to compare.

I respectfully disagree on horvats return, a late first+ a good prospect is an insult to Horvat.

If that is the return management better to re-sign him and try to move Miller/Garland/ Boeser.

I'd prefer Miller be the one to go first also.

7 hours ago, shiznak said:

We missed the boat on trading Miller, and in CDC logic fashion, the Rangers did too! ;)

13 hours ago, Devron said:

After this year we won’t need to talk Bo or JT trades. They are either gone or new deals kick in. I’m kinda looking forward to that tbh.

I think they will both be Canucks locked in to long term deals. The fans should be excited about that.

Miller is not playing horrible he is for whatever reason projecting poor body language attitude and being dismissive towards the fans. Those are teachable moments.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I think they will both be Canucks locked in to long term deals. The fans should be excited about that.

Miller is not playing horrible he is for whatever reason projecting poor body language attitude and being dismissive towards the fans. Those are teachable moments.

If rumours are true and his team mates think “he’s a prick” 

That’s  generally not a turn used for a team mate one likes. 
goes with the stories of why nyr and TB felt he was expendable.

he hasn’t played great either he’s got points that’s about it. 
To the point he was called out on nhic by bieska so the “they hate the Canucks” excuse isn’t even usable.

I hope miller gets moved but unfortunately  fully expect him to be here for years. 

Hard no laffy for horvat 

But laffy for miller  straight up done in a heartbeat. 

11 minutes ago, combover said:

If rumours are true and his team mates think “he’s a prick” 

That’s  generally not a turn used for a team mate one likes. 
goes with the stories of why nyr and TB felt he was expendable

Lots of us are pricks and we get along mostly haha

• Haha 2

I don't know why people are acting like Miller is someone we should offload at any opportunity. Dude has turned into a roughly point per game player since he joined us.

Yes, he shows bad body language at times, but fans aren't helping things by alienating him. Some fans' behaviour towards him at the beginning of the season was unacceptable.

He may be a prick, but he's still a great player. Bure said playing in Vancouver was like living in a fishbowl, and still we never learn.

I'm not saying we shouldn't trade Miller for Lafreniere, because we need to resign Horvat, who is more of a pure center. 
But I wouldn't trade Miller for Lafreniere straight up. They would have to add. 

Edited by Nave