The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. New York Islanders | Jan. 3rd, 2023 | SNP, 7:00PM PT | New Years Edition

Rate this topic

Roberts

MATCH-UP INFO

• Tonight marks the first of two meetings between the Canucks and Islanders this season: Jan. 3 (home) and Feb. 9 (away).
  • The Canucks are 46-54-13-3 all-time against the Islanders, including a 28-26-3-1 record at home.
  • Vancouver is 4-5-1 in their last 10 games vs New York (3-2-0 in their last 5).
  • Among active Canucks skaters, Luke Schenn leads the team in games played (37) against the Islanders and J.T. Miller leads in scoring with 13 points (8-5-13) in 28 games played.
  • Quinn Hughes has five points (2-3-5) in three career games vs the Islanders.
  • Conor Garland has four points (2-2-4) in five career games vs the Islanders.
  • J.T. Miller has eight points (5-3-8) in his last eight games against the Islanders.
  • Bo Horvat has seven points (2-5-7) in his last 10 games against the Islanders.
  • Spencer Martin has yet to face the New York Islanders in his career.
  • Collin Delia is 0-0-1 with a 2.93 GAA and .940 SV% in one career game against the Islanders, exactly four years ago today (career-high 47 saves on 50 shots against on Jan. 3/19).
  • Luke Schenn is slated to appear in his 900th career regular season game.

QUICK NUMBERS

• Elias Pettersson has 17 points (6-11-17) in his last 10 games, as is currently on a five-game point streak (4-6-10).
  • Bo Horvat has 16 points (9-7-16) in his last 12 games, including nine points (4-5-9) in his last four games.
  • Andrei Kuzmenko has 11 points (4-7-11) in his last 11 games.
  • Quinn Hughes has nine points (1-8-9) in his last 12 games.
  • Conor Garland has eight points (3-5-8) in his last 11 games.

2022 YEAR IN REVIEW

• Elias Pettersson led the Canucks in scoring for the calendar year of 2022 with 95 points (43-52-95 in 81 GP), besting J.T. Miller (34-60-94 in 83 GP) by just one point.
  • J.T. Miller posted the most power play points among Canucks skaters in 2022 with 37 (11-26-37).
  • Bo Horvat led all Canucks in goals in 2022 with 46 and is the sixth different player in franchise history to score at least 46 goals in a calendar year, joining Pavel Bure (2x), Tony Tanti (2x), Darcy Rota, Markus Naslund, and Todd Bertuzzi.
    • Horvat ranked t-10th in the NHL in goals in 2022.
  • Oliver Ekman-Larsson and Luke Schenn tied for the most games played by a Canucks skater in 2022 with 85 GP.
  • Quinn Hughes led the Canucks for most assists in 2022 (64 in 76 GP) and ranked fourth in the League among defencemen in this category.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancouver-canucks-vs-new-york-islanders/c-339464206

3 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Stop floating around .500 pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee. Pick a direction 

What is the bigger risk? Losing and having a slight chance at Bedard or winning and trading for players now to make the playoffs? I just feel like if you're going to risk anything you risk and try to get one of the best players available of the losses continue to pile up. Trade for prospects and picks. At least a chance at Bedard. I guess we will see what happens after all these games against these good teams. I think I will be more angry if we continue to hover around .500. It really gets us nowhere.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

Surrey, BC, native Parker Wotherspoon is also expected to play his first game in his hometown on Tuesday, which is sure to be a special moment. Head Coach Lane Lambert said he saw some extra jump from the two Vancouverites during Monday's practice. 

"I even noticed it on the ice today in practice," Lambert said of Barzal and Wotherspoon. "It's exciting. Anyone who comes back to their hometown to play where they grew up and played minor [league] hockey... it's pretty exciting to come back into an NHL atmosphere."

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

pull off a deal this afternoon.... Barzal for either miller or Boeser. Condition being that none of these players play tonight. 

Would we do Bo (signed to an extension 7 mil x 8 years) for Barzal?  Sure it's a bad move, but one our owner would accept.

Just now, Alflives said:

Would we do Bo (signed to an extension 7 mil x 8 years) for Barzal?  Sure it's a bad move, but one our owner would accept.

if we trade JT, we give his money to Bo. We end up keeping the better center and 2 way player. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

Surrey, BC, native Parker Wotherspoon is also expected to play his first game in his hometown on Tuesday, which is sure to be a special moment. Head Coach Lane Lambert said he saw some extra jump from the two Vancouverites during Monday's practice. 

"I even noticed it on the ice today in practice," Lambert said of Barzal and Wotherspoon. "It's exciting. Anyone who comes back to their hometown to play where they grew up and played minor [league] hockey... it's pretty exciting to come back into an NHL atmosphere."

Good thing KOS isn’t  around. We’d be reading about how great Surrey is until puck drop. To be clear @OldFaithfulCapsurrey is in gvrd but it’s still Surrey :lol:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Hmmm, do I wear my black skate (40) or my blue stick in rink (9)?

Sorry to 3 & 14...you're in the rafters here now. Retired with top honours!

Couldn't sleep....so excited for the game!! Go Canucks Go. And, even if we lose there could be a silver lining (Bedard sure is something special).

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Couldn't sleep....so excited for the game!! Go Canucks Go. And, even if we lose there could be a silver lining (Bedard sure is something special).

Definitely black #40.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

What is the bigger risk? Losing and having a slight chance at Bedard or winning and trading for players now to make the playoffs? I just feel like if you're going to risk anything you risk and try to get one of the best players available of the losses continue to pile up. Trade for prospects and picks. At least a chance at Bedard. I guess we will see what happens after all these games against these good teams. I think I will be more angry if we continue to hover around .500. It really gets us nowhere.

At first I was thinking to push for the playoffs. But realistically with the clusterfump that this year has become why should we push it. Let's have fun and gel. We need defense people and we need Demko healthy. Let's wait. Let's wait on the best deal possible. Let's not trade out of desperation to barely make the 1sr round. A top 5 pick should be our goal. We need to get our 2nd back too somehow. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Maybe the blue 9 will inspire 9 in blue. 

It's not a major stat but tonight is #1 in d-man scoring (NYIsles with 25) vs number 32 (Canucks with 8).

NYI    25
ARI    23
WSH    23
FLA    21
SEA    20
CGY    19
STL    19
COL    18
DAL    18
DET    18
NJD    18
SJS    18