The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edit- Rick Tocchet Expected To Be Next Head Coach

Rate this topic

BertaNuck

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

I think a lot of people think the way you do - and they would be determined to turn it into a circus.  Maybe rightfully so.

FWIW I don’t think they go there. 

However, as Deniro said, if he says the right stuff when hired and the team starts to win most people would get on board.  I think he’d be a perfect fit as a coach and maybe Colliton is ready to take over in 2 years or so. 

I think Colliton is management’s guy.  He will finish up this season with Abbotsford and then move up to the big club. 

Just now, Alflives said:

I think Colliton is management’s guy.  He will finish up this season with Abbotsford and then move up to the big club. 

I agree he seems like there guy but I dunno if he’s ready to take on hot and cold superstars making huge money on long term deals like Miller and OEL. 

Maybe after a few more years he builds that rapport with younger players in the AHL and comes up with a bunch of guys on his side a la Vignault.  

I hope they let him cook just like they’re doing with some of the kids in Abbotsford. 

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

I think a lot of people think the way you do - and they would be determined to turn it into a circus.  Maybe rightfully so.

FWIW I don’t think they go there. 

However, as Deniro said, if he says the right stuff when hired and the team starts to win most people would get on board.  I think he’d be a perfect fit as a coach and maybe Colliton is ready to take over in 2 years or so. 

I don't think they'd go there either, but if they did it'd probably be a dealbreaker for me. I've put a lot of time into the Canucks over the years, definitely too much time on this board, but it's something I could walk away from if push came to shove. 

At the end of the day it's just a team playing a game, I could pick another team playing the same game, one that didn't hire coach Q after everything that came out with Kyle Beach. 

I'm not against people getting second chances but some things are so horrendous that second chances shouldn't be offered. Coaching in the NHL should be a privilege, coaching at all should be a privilege. I get wanting to win a Stanley Cup, I really do, but I'm not on board with having put chasing an opportunity to do so over someone who'd gone through what Beach did. 

After all the Canucks have been through the past couple seasons, one and off the ice, I just don't see them bringing in a powder keg. But if they did? Yeah, they'd deserve to have it blow up in their face. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I guess we can expect more losing plus players wanting out.

The future is shiite!

Ya, certainly a connection with Rutherford from Pittsburgh but Tocchet has a crappy head coaching resume. 

I don't get why he seems to be the guy for Jimmy and Patrick.

1 minute ago, GB5 said:

Ya, certainly a connection with Rutherford from Pittsburgh but Tocchet has a crappy head coaching resume. 

I don't get why he seems to be the guy for Jimmy and Patrick.

Only coach they know they can convince to join this circus is my guess.

If this is their hire I’m gonna assume that they talked to Trotz at least and he had zero interest.

It makes no sense to me to bring in a coach now though. So you can get a coaching bump and pick 12th-15th? You also don’t have the full picture of who’s available yet. Why not wait? It’s not like Tocchett is a coach teams will be clamouring for.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Doesn't Tocchet and OEL don't get along?

OEL didn’t like the way Tocchett deployed him from what I remember. Wanted him to play more as a stay at home guy.

Bringing in Tocchett just seems like a repeat of the Tortorella hire. Trying to get a soft team to play “stiffer”. I can already guarantee it will fail with this group.

• There it is 2

this organization is so dysfunctional. it's been one thing after the next since the cup final. 

riot

kassian 

david booth 

prust

kesler

luongo

torts

the gillis ouster

linden's hiring

linden's firing

eriksson

tryamkin