The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Rutherford press conference

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I listened to the full conference this morning.

I'm not too sure what to think and I will reserve my judgenent until after the draft and free agency.

I don't envy JR right now and he took those questions on the chin, good press conference.

We are mostly all positive to a fault but in hindsight we all knew JB built a shit team and JR wasn't gonna fix it overnight or even in a year so... it is what it is I guess.

6 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Seem to Remember them talking about getting cap space, and next thing they were celebrating being exactly at the cap limit...

^ So much this^

The start of my disillusionment with this management team.

Say cap space is a problem- yay, plenty of fans agree, including me.

Sign Brock- yay...... wait? 3 year deal instead on a 1 yr qualifier? - mmm dubious signing, but oh well.

No trade of Miller at the deadline?   Now I'm getting concerned.

signing another forward, Mik, even though we need serious help on the D-well, Mik is a decent signing, as long as they ditch some other forward to make room.

But nope- they keep all the forwards- like WTF!!

No trade of Miller prior to this season- now I'm ticked.

Add in all the off ice stuff,

Dorie,

Smyl,

Peason injury, to all the on ice stuff, and this whole organization is looking like a complete JOKE.

This mess is not trending in the right direction.

• Cheers 3

26 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Honestly I don't think it was even sub par players half the time. For example, Gagner's doing just fine in WPG, Gudbranson was a solid D when properly partnered and positioned in CAL, Dickinson seems to be doing fine in CHI...etc, etc...

So I don't think it was even entirely bad pro scouting (though there was certainly some of that too).

Benning seemingly had a MAJOR blind spot however of putting complementary, cohesive pieces together to actually form a TEAM. Something that's greater than the sum of it's parts. 

This is it exactly. Benning just collected parts with no idea where they go. I get so tired of people arguing that this guy or that guy is good value how can you replace him blah blah blah. Who cares. There are literally 100s of players on good deals in the NHL. It doesn't mean they all belong on our team. 

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Rutherford says all the things he thinks fans want to hear. Then he throws in the impatience part that is forcing him to "win now".

RED FLAGS:

Trading for cast offs instead of picks, reclamation projects. - There goes a year for each.

Saying it take too long for drafted players to help. - There goes the future again and no plan for the future.

The cap will get bigger with time. - Is that how they plan to make cap space to use for trades? Then add 3 to 4 years.

No mention of where the team should be in 6 years, for that matter 2 years. - It seems A playoff appearance, singular, is considered a success.

Once again NO GM's appearing. - Sure the buck supposedly stops with him but what are the 4 GM's doing? What is their jobs/responsibilities?

Saying what fans want to hear but not taking action. - Talk is cheap, action requires commitment, no actions of significance so far.

Horvat priced himself out. - This will lower any trade returns unless they allow teams to talk to him Will that scare off some teams?

Two ro three years to fix this and they are satisfied. - Solidification in the mushy middle until.....?

The openness and willingness to be open is great but without Allvin being there he is just a guy saying what he hears. Allvin runs the team until Rutherford starts doing Allvin's job. Then Allvin is canned.

All the interviews are is PR work, that's all so far. If Allvin is uncomfortable doing pressers big deal, a lot of fans are uncomfortable with his silence, interviews are part of the job, a job he wanted. If he is okay with doing less than ALL the job, how many other parts is he comfortable NOT DOING. A GM that does half the job?

That 3 years the team is competitive again, playoffs is sad, because for how long? Is this a 2 year window again? With the improvement of other teams where is this group in age and cap? Are the waiting for Calgary to decline to move up the standings?

I would love to have an afternoon to sit around and chat with Rutherford over a beer or coffee.

I think it would be incredibly innovative to have a random group of fans to sit in a room and chat with the top dogs and be able to ask questions without being pandered to. 

Edited by ToTellTheTruth
  • Cheers 4

21 hours ago, Dazzle said:

You are 100 percent right about the parallels. Similar to JR, Benning had put himself into bad situations by overspending the cap. However, JR's signings/trades so far have been good, minus Stillman. Benning seemed to lose in the majority of trades (in the long run).

JR has made more mistakes in the short run than Benning though. We had cap space. They just spent it on Miller, who we don't really NEED on this team.

I think if we break down the roster salary into categories. Top 6 Fs, Top 4 D vs bottom 6 F and bottom 5-8 D..

The money allocation for Miller is better spent on a top end player. I think he's more speaking to the money currently being spent on bottom end of the line up quality players like oel, Myers, etc etc.

So in that mindset I agree with JRs use of the salary allocation but it will still be a meh to bad contract unless we can get good before miller starts to decline. They are talking about some buyouts tho so that Miller contract may be an issue down the road when the cap constricts us from said buyouts.

But overall investing in a top 6 guy who put up 99 pts isn't as terrible then a Myers or oel who contributes far less to a winning franchise. Miller costs more but his contribution per dollar is far better spent and it's hard to get quality top end players.

• Vintage 1

46 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Here's a thought... 

Imagine we trade Horvat for a kings ransom (blue chip RD, 1st round pick, 2nd round pick) then tank and win the Bedard sweepstakes and then re-sign Horvat this summer by creating capspace trading OEL and Boeser with the pieces gained in the Horvat trade? 

That would be legendary

If we get Bedard or even Fantilli or Carlsson then we don’t need Horvat.  We can spend that cap space on a 3C and some RHD to complete the roster. 

• Cheers 1

Ya know I thought Hansens thoughts on the team and what it needs in the Province interview were much more on point then JR's re-tool plan, whatever the heck that means!!! Refreshing from Jannick instead of the same old same old that hasn't worked to this point. The definition of insanity is.....

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, BertaNuck said:

I think JR needs to release Allvin and find a more experienced GM to help him out 

Why does everyone make our Rookie GM Alvin out to be such a bad GM, just because we never see or hear from him, messed up with his one and only trade - throwing away a valuable 2nd rounder for a Still-Man (which JR said would never happen), have no idea what he does and don't even know if he truly exist?

Alvin Chipmunks GIF - Alvin Chipmunks Love You GIFs

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol we have given our best offer to horvat for fair market based on what he have accomplished prior to this season.. so basically he's saying i don't care if horvat scores 50 or 60 goals he's a 30 goal 55 point guy in my mind no matter what. i dont care what he have done this season? sub 7mil take it or leave it. so why wasn't miller's contract based on what he has done prior to last season but based on his 1 off 99 point?

Maybe once bitten, twice shy...

The original offer was based on Horvats play prior to this season, and yes a 6+M was probably not far from fair value, but with Miller getting 8, Bo was never going to sign for 6+...

1 minute ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Why does everyone make our Rookie GM Alvin out to be such a bad GM, just because we never see or hear from him, messed up with his one and only trade - throwing away a valuable 2nd rounder for a Still-Man (which JR said would never happen), have no idea what he does and don't even know if he truly exist?

Alvin Chipmunks GIF - Alvin Chipmunks Love You GIFs

JR said Allvin makes

all the phone calls , maybe Allvin sucks at making the phone calls 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I think people greatly under state OEL's play.  He's been tye best overall dman since he got here (granted it's a low bar) and the biggest issue is the lack of any kind of coherent defensive system.  You put a different coach in here, one that brings defensive structure and holds the feds accountable for play in their own end and we wouldn't even be talking about OEL and Myers, imo 

Well, OEL and Hughes compete about the same spot.

Wich means OEL is heavily overpaid compared to a 2nd LD.

I can accept having OEL here and so on but not defending having him here in the firat place.

First when he got here I thought it was ok but the more I see OEL and Hughes fight about the same spot it’s immensly stupid by Benning going for that trade.

• Cheers 1

OEL Buyout:

$800k 2023-2024

$2.3M 2024-2025

$4.7M 2025-2026, 2026-2027

$2.4M 4 more years after that until 2031-2032

Yeah, anybody who suggests an OEL buyout is out to lunch with that idea. Either retain $2.7M for 4 years and trade him in the off season, or ride him out. 

The only issue I have is that he has a stupid NMC, which is going to hinder things considerably. Finding a potential suitor for OEL needs to be priority #1 in the off season.

Hopefully Miller isn’t too far behind.

• Cheers 4

5 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Well, OEL and Hughes compete about the same spot.

Wich means OEL is heavily overpaid compared to a 2nd LD.

I can accept having OEL here and so on but not defending having him here in the firat place.

First when he got here I thought it was ok but the more I see OEL and Hughes fight about the same spot it’s immensly stupid by Benning going for that trade.

OEL is a better overall damn than Hughes is, at the moment.

Stupid why?  He had a chance for a top 2 dman.......those opportunities don't along very often

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

JR said he would prefer young NHL players who didn't excel under their ELCs, possibly needing a second chance. I'm okay with this, depending on the young player. I'm thinking possibly Kaapo Kakko or Filip Zadina.

Jeff Marek apparently said that there is one Horvat trade rumour involving 3 players, including the team's #1 prospect, coming back. I wonder which team. 

That team is Boston. 

To Boston:

Bo Horvat

To Vancouver:

Fabian Lysell

Trent Frederic 

Ryan Mast

2023 1st round pick

This trade should be announced soon, any day now really…. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Odd. said:

OEL Buyout:

$800k 2023-2024

$2.3M 2024-2025

$4.7M 2025-2026, 2026-2027

$2.4M 4 more years after that until 2031-2032

Yeah, anybody who suggests an OEL buyout is out to lunch with that idea. Either retain $2.7M for 4 years and trade him in the off season, or ride him out. 

The only issue I have is that he has a stupid NMC, which is going to hinder things considerably. Finding a potential suitor for OEL needs to be priority #1 in the off season.

Hopefully Miller isn’t too far behind.

OEL cannot be traded even with $2.7 million retained. He has a full NMC and can’t even be sent to the minors. A buyout is the only option to move on from him. 

We may not see a buyout this summer but I can pretty much guarantee we will see a buyout at some point before his contract expires.  

• There it is 1