The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Management STILL doesn't get it

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

My reply regarding who can and should be dealt:

-  Unfortunately an OEL trade ain't gonna happen no matter how much we wish for it... no other team wants him and his contract... he is staying.  Which would be ok if he ends up being a 5/6 D.

-  I firmly believe Myers can be dealt... even at worst if Canucks retain $3 million CAP for next year it will save $3 million... which will be enough to sign Horvat.  Asking price should be a 3rd rounder.

-  Same with Boeser... teams will pay for his scoring... if we retain $1.65 million for two years, we will be better off.  With that discount... at $5 million a year he is a worthwhile player for other teams.  Price is a 2nd rounder.  CAP savings will allow us to sign Kuzmenko at $5 million per year.

If we can't deal these two guys.... (no reason why we shouldn't be able to) then next on the list is Garland.

-  He is a useful utility guy for a team who is a contender... and even if we retain $1 million for the three years of his contract, we save 4 million per year and can pay for Horvat or pick up a decent UFA D for that salary.

• Cheers 1

There are typically more trade options the nearer to the TDL.  Not many teams have cap space.  There also teams in LTIR that might need a clearer timeline to know if that cap space will remain available or not.

It's more feasible cap wise to add a player closer to the TDL than today.  Teams have more time to bank cap space + a player will be on the roster for a shorter period of time and therefore use a lower portion of their allocated 82.5M.

Using CapFriendly with say Calgary as example.  They have a roster of 22 and could add today a player without going over the 23 player roster limit. CapFriendly shows that they have ~2M in cap space today.  That's the value of full contracts they can add today and still be cap compliant at the end of the season.  That cap space will continue to increase every day as they near the TDL assuming there are no further roster movements.

At the TDL that cap space with the exact same roster will be worth over 4M vs ~2M today, because they will have banked further cap space and there are only 41 days left and not the 80+ there are today.  

Trying to make a deal early could limit the number of interested teams.  A team like Dallas doesn't have the cap space today to add Horvat without removing from their roster but at the TDL they could add him if they use a 3rd team for an overall retention at 75%.   

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, klw604 said:

Miller's the  real problem, he's not liked in the room and players don't like playing with him, the brotherhood, the comradery isn't there, he's the first that needs to go

They already messed up big time when they let Tanev go, he was there real leader, when he spoke they all listened

Everyone talks about trading boeser, if boeser goes, then Petterson won't resign,  they been best friends from day one

Dude,  petey doesnt give a crap about where boeser plays.  Get real.  This isnt kindergarten.

Find me a team that will take on any of the bad contracts without a 2nd coming with it as a minimum.  Heck it took a 2nd rounder to dish off Dickenson and his 3 mill contract, find me another team willing to take less than that for cap hits that are even bigger.

• There it is 1

5 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

My reply regarding who can and should be dealt:

-  Unfortunately an OEL trade ain't gonna happen no matter how much we wish for it... no other team wants him and his contract... he is staying.  Which would be ok if he ends up being a 5/6 D.

-  I firmly believe Myers can be dealt... even at worst if Canucks retain $3 million CAP for next year it will save $3 million... which will be enough to sign Horvat.  Asking price should be a 3rd rounder.

-  Same with Boeser... teams will pay for his scoring... if we retain $1.65 million for two years, we will be better off.  With that discount... at $5 million a year he is a worthwhile player for other teams.  Price is a 2nd rounder.  CAP savings will allow us to sign Kuzmenko at $5 million per year.

If we can't deal these two guys.... (no reason why we shouldn't be able to) then next on the list is Garland.

-  He is a useful utility guy for a team who is a contender... and even if we retain $1 million for the three years of his contract, we save 4 million per year and can pay for Horvat or pick up a decent UFA D for that salary.

Not getting rid of myers until after his signing bonus is paid, which is 5 mill of his 6 mill salary which I think I heard on the radio one day that bonuses got pushed to september instead of july???? (Don't quote me on that, I think I heard it but not 100% sure). If thats the case it makes it WAY harder to move him that late in the summer.

7 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

I think the only real problem contracts are Miller and OEL - given the bad press on Miller (attitude and decline in play) coupled with his substantial raise and OEL's decline, they will have a tough time finding suitors for them (unless the cap goes up substantially in the near future, but even then they'll have to retain to move Miller).  Myers they'll have to be patient with, but in another year they should be able to trade him as a pending UFA, if only for a pick.  

I don't think we should treat Garland as a problem to prioritize resolving though, at least not due to lack of effort.  Before last season, he was a 40 point guy, and he's currently on pace for that.  On a team lacking scoring and play-driving, he could still be useful (I still think that teams like NYI/ NSH/ CHI after they move Kane would want Garland or Boeser in some form of hockey trade e.g., for Ekholm, since rebuilding teams wouldn't want to put unprepared rookies like Reichel on their top line permanently).  Alternatively, if we trade Kuzmenko, we could put Boeser back with Petey and hopefully see his scoring go back up such that he wouldn't be viewed as overpriced.

We really shouldn't be rushed to shed bad contracts at this point but trade the good ones that would net future assets, while letting the pricey but still serviceable guys play into their contracts and hopefully recover, since what's done is done when it comes to signing guys.  Look at San Jose, we're basically in the denial stage before where they are now.  They tore it down to the essentials and immovable liabilities (Meier/ Couture/ Hertl as the primary contributors up front, with guys like Labanc/ Bonino/ Kunin/ Barabanov, etc. as the useful guys on short-term contracts, while they're also stuck with Vlasic [and maybe Karlsson] on the back-end, plus Reimer is a good 1A to share the net with Kahkonen).  The equivalent for us would be Miller (probably stuck with him), Petey/ Mikheyev as the big money guys up front plus the cheap depth, then Hughes hopefully wants to stay too, along with Bear and OEL (stuck with him too).  IF Demko wants to go we could see what we have in Martin, since we could do worse than end up with a better draft position due to poor goaltending.   

Boeser was put on the Pettersson line and the PP1 games ago in order to try and get him going, and these things happened;

PP1 stopped being lethal

Pettersson line became less lethal

Mik Petey Kuz chemistry was put on pause

Kuzmenko was put on the 3rd line with Dries and Studnicka

We have been losing consistently since that time

I have Pettersson on my fantasy team, week to week format. I notice when production dips off in all aspects of his game. Since Boeser was put on his line, the line has been trash.

Boeser is a nice guy, but he doesn't fit on our team. He has no on-ice chemistry, is behind the play constantly, doesn't battle whatsoever, and doesn't forecheck. Bye bye. 

2 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Boeser was put on the Pettersson line and the PP1 games ago in order to try and get him going, and these things happened;

PP1 stopped being lethal

Pettersson line became less lethal

Mik Petey Kuz chemistry was put on pause

Kuzmenko was put on the 3rd line with Dries and Studnicka

We have been losing consistently since that time

I have Pettersson on my fantasy team, week to week format. I notice when production dips off in all aspects of his game. Since Boeser was put on his line, the line has been trash.

Boeser is a nice guy, but he doesn't fit on our team. He has no on-ice chemistry, is behind the play constantly, doesn't battle whatsoever, and doesn't forecheck. Bye bye. 

This had been the case for over 2 yrs. Boeser brings peteys game down everytime.  They have zero chemistry.  

As i said when it happened, signing boeser to that contract was one of the worst moves this club has made in over a decade.  No other team will trade for him, and now we could lose bo and kuz.  

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, RolexSub said:

The CAP space has killed us for the last 4yrs.....hmmmm I wonder who screwed that up financially!! 

Signing Extending Boeser and Miller and signing Mika is all down to current management team...

They had the opportunity to free up cap space, but chose not to... 

So for all the problems Benning created, JR/PA are not free from criticism at this stage.

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

No point of these posts anymore.  We are not going to trade for picks.  We are going for the almighty re-tool.  Nobody except management thinks it's a good idea, but they are the only opinions that seem to matter here.

It’s our owner’s direction.  Same one since he bought the club.  He only hires managers who will follow that direction.  If the manager refuses (or is totally incompetent) he fired them.  We’ve seen two refusals and one incompetent.  Now we have JR/Allvin following the owner’s prescribed direction.  They have only 1.5 years left in their contracts.  They will definitely be making moves that are short sighted. 

• Cheers 1

Sure looks that way. But we've already given them an F grade report card so why don't we see how things go leading into the trade deadline before continuing to flog this dead horse 

That said if they hire a new coach here for a mid season new coach bump, only to finish 10th, I'd say they blew it. 

43 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

No point of these posts anymore.  We are not going to trade for picks.  We are going for the almighty re-tool.  Nobody except management thinks it's a good idea, but they are the only opinions that seem to matter here.

I'm sure there'll be some picks in there, but what good does focusing mainly on picks do?  I'd much rather have known assets than lottery tickets, a significant portion of which will never play on the NHL 

People's obsession with draft picks reeks of EA sports hockey experience 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

I'm just glad they finally came to their senses. This team wasn't good enough before they got here and it still isn't.  Now the captain has checked out and wants out. I'm optimistic, trades will be made at the TDL and the Canucks will have a better roster next year.   

• There it is 1

2 minutes ago, klw604 said:

How would you know ?

You talk to any one of them ?

Your speaking like you know

The players absolutely care about which guys are moved and for what return.  Clearly the Benning "shocking reset" after our bubble success (losing Tanev, Marky, and Tofu) did a lot of damage to the room.  Petey, Hughes, Miller and others were absolutely affected.  

What I can almost guarantee is there will be a nuclear meltdown on here if we change coaches mid-season and get a coaches bump to push us back into the middle of the overall standings and out of the top 10 in the draft.  The ABSOLUTE LAST THING we need is a coaching change right now.  Which probably means we'll see Tocchet in here within the next month or so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

What I can almost guarantee is there will be a nuclear meltdown on here if we change coaches mid-season and get a coaches bump to push us back into the middle of the overall standings and out of the top 10 in the draft.  The ABSOLUTE LAST THING we need is a coaching change right now.  Which probably means we'll see Tocchet in here within the next month or so.

Points to management if they delay the new coach hire to end of the season. 

Agreed, things will get apoplectic here if they go for the mid season coaching bump again.