The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Colorado Avalanche at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 20, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, van_ws said:

I doubt very much most players want to come to Vancouver and play for this team. I sure as hell wouldn't want anything to do with this circus and idiot management.

Fans should start wearing paper bags to games. Embarrassing times to be a fan.

It starts with empty seats. For a Friday night game against a premium opponent, there sure were a lot!

The biggest problem I see here is not the losing nor simply contracts. It’s the complete erosion of all respect and dignity this team has. Fans can handle rebuilds…fans can handle losing…what fans cannot handle is when both are paired with no moral compass nor sense of decency. Unfortunately, that’s were we are at now, and even players on other teams are making comments; not a good place to be.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Miller drives the Canucks PP. Prior to this season Horvat has been a 60 point player once. Miller has played badly at C this year but has been better in the past. Horvat is clearly better at faceoffs & losing that prowess will hurt, but Horvat isn't a level Selke defensive player himself.

Even if Miller is just a PPG winger that drives the PP 8M is fair right now & will be fine as the cap increases. If Horvat is a 25 goal 50-60 point 2C who isn't good on the PK then 8M will be bad right away.

Edit: I personally like Horvat more & am sad he's leaving, but Miller has clearly been the better player since arriving to Vancouver. This year is the only time Horvat has been better. 

Lol Horvat last 4 season have basically been on 30goal pace over a full season yet he’s only good for 25 goals.. he’s literally been slowly improving each of the last 4 season in terms of goals but you give him no credit for it. Miller improving and hitting his peak at 28.. meanwhile Horvat slowly improving and have an outbreak at 27.. but apparently that’s not allowed coz he’s a 50point guy at best.. Horvat is not allowed to improve like miller did.. if u compare them age for age.. they are literally the same with Horvat more consistent in his early years prior to peaking.. miller doesn’t drive no PP. Hughes does, all miller is good at is turning the puck over on the Pp for a sh against. I’m sure 80% of the SH goals against is from millers backhand pass..

last I checked miller was a 50 point guy at best prior to having a chance on the top line.. something Horvat till this date still don’t have a chance at.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

If the team had good pieces, why is the team at the bottom then?

It's either their assessment of the team was wrong, or you're wrong. It can't be both.

FYI, I wouldn't say most people wanted Miller re-signed. I for one was loudly for trading Miller. Obviously that didn't work.

Pieces. Not a whole. Pieces.

christ, you guys just want to hear what you want to rather than accept what has transpired. This club being dissected down to the studs (pardon the pun), and then rebuilding around them. That always been the modus operandi. Just because you may have deviated for what JR said doesn’t mean he has. His initial review was that changes needed to be made. Couldn’t get them done the way he wanted, so he gave Bruce two more forward options so that this club could rely on its F strength to win games while the D was eventually repaired (via a tough market). It sucks that the D was not revamped, but we are also bereft of the talent or the picks it takes to get them. 

I don’t know what people see, but we have very little of value to make reasonable deals with. This is the result. Stagnant attrition until it falls apart. This team has proven to be beyond repair unless it involves amputation. We were a f**king mess before JR and still are, but again, need to be cognizant of how much f**king time it actually takes to accomplish major change. 

laugh all you want. 
im just happy your idea of a club is my idea of complacency, and what I want to see is finally happening 

• Like 1
  • RoughGame 1

9 minutes ago, van_ws said:

I doubt very much most players want to come to Vancouver and play for this team. I sure as hell wouldn't want anything to do with this circus and idiot management.

Cogliano just told you everything you need to know of what the other players think. Sad, so sad, very sad.

Edited by BC_Hawk

13 minutes ago, RWJC said:

christ, you guys just want to hear what you want to rather than accept what has transpired. This club being dissected down to the studs (pardon the pun), and then rebuilding around them. That always been the modus operandi. Just because you may have deviated for what JR said doesn’t mean he has. His initial review was that changes needed to be made. Couldn’t get them done the way he wanted, so he gave Bruce two more forward options so that this club could rely on its F strength to win games while the D was eventually repaired (via a tough market). It sucks that the D was not revamped, but we are also bereft of the talent or the picks it takes to get them. 

I don’t know what people see, but we have very little of value to make reasonable deals with. This is the result. Stagnant attrition until it falls apart. This team has proven to be beyond repair unless it involves amputation. We were a f**king mess before JR and still are, but again, need to be cognizant of how much f**king time it actually takes to accomplish major change. 

laugh all you want. 
im just happy your idea of a club is my idea of complacency, and what I want to see is finally happening 

If so, I would've been buying the garbage that management had been selling at the start of the year. Far from it though. I was one of the most critical of this management when they were just getting started and I was roasted by posters for not giving them enough time. :rolleyes:

JR said we have nice pieces, which ironically praises the work of Benning, does it it not? Now you say it's a mess, which is hilarious because JR said he didn't know that the team needed this much work. Laughable.

So make up your mind then about this management - do they know what they're doing or not? It SURE doesn't sound like they do.

They spent the cap thinking we were a playoff team, but we're at the bottom. Major surgery? Or fast tracked team the playoffs? He said that too.

Edit: here it is

https://canucksarmy.com/news/analyzing-patrik-allvinrjim-rutherford-diverged-original-plan

image.png.a7ede79d2491f6ddbe130503da72f1ba.png

"We're a few trades away from being a playoff team", or something to that effect. If that sounded like Benning, you'd be correct. He said the same crap as him, as well as the "R" word too - retool. Lol.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, 24K PureCool said:

Top bad it is too late to fire this management team this close ti the deadline with such an important trade piece in Horvat that needs to be traded, but this management should get the boot the moment the trade deadline is crossed. 

The owners don’t wanna pay for multiple coaches (even though they are anyways), what makes you think they wanna pay for multiple GMs and Presidents?

We’re stuck with this group for at least another year. Better settle in. 

• Sad 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

8 minutes ago, van_ws said:

And this is the problem that the Canucks had when Benning came in but you all forgot. Getting Sutter and Beagle to come and be defensively responsible cost the extra dollars but it gave us 2 centers that could kill a penalty. and play defensive and add stability. Higher contract and some term to play for teams that are losing. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Excuses for what? All I've said is Miller is a better player. Whether you think they should've signed him or whatnot is another matter.

Recency bias is strong here. Since Miller arrived his PPG is 1.04 compared to Bo who's is 0.80 in the same period.

I’ll take Horvats lower pts but with more consistency and arguably better defensive game. There’s also the loyalty factor. And the less toxic attitude ,the attitude thing came with him and at age 30 isn’t likely something coach’s can train out of him either. that comes with manning up. And at age 30 the sore loser attitude probably is with him for life. It’s not very conducive for comradery , it leads to rumours of problems in the dressing room. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

If nothing else I'm proud of the support fans have given him.

Full image:

Fm-XOvcXkAATQTH?format=jpg&name=large

It's telling when from other team's players speak to the Bruce scenario, this is embarrassing. What a circus.

I hope more players from around the league speak up.

1 hour ago, BC_Hawk said:

They can’t …this has gone too far. FA needs to gas JR if he wants any hope of saving any type of confidence this team and fan base has in the organization. We are a cancer right now that no one would want any part of.

That's the danger, we may see players we would rather keep asking to be moved. We'll likely have a hard time reeling in coveted free agents. Nobody knows where this club is heading, something has to give and soon regarding trades.

Love that the fans have been able to give him this.

1 hour ago, Chicken. said:

I hope the chant continues even if/when he is gone this year. The disrespect that man has been given is deplorable. 

Same, give it to management and ownership.

41 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

A good chance to move top 5 tomorrow!

Sharks play the Blue Jackets.

Keep that tank rolling!

The tank is about all we've got at this point, what a season.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, RWJC said:

laugh all you want. 

I’d say this is pretty well said. Aside from the treatment of Boudreau I really haven’t minded the things our management HAS done.

As much as people disagree I still think Miller at 8 was the right call. He’s a much more versatile player than Horvat, and can drive a line. At Center or on the wing. 

Horvat is a good goal scorer and a great human but he’s pretty 1 dimensional. He’s not a penalty killer. He’s not a set up man. He gets most of his points on the power play. Paying him more than 6.5m based on this season he’s having probably ages very badly. 

im happy to be patient and wait and see how this management team handles the Horvat trade, what they get in return, and what they can do when some of our bad money starts falling off. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

The owners don’t wanna pay for multiple coaches (even though they are anyways), what makes you think they wanna pay for multiple GMs and Presidents?

We’re stuck with this group for at least another year. Better settle in. 

He has to pay for his mistakes. 

Hope season ticket renewals tank, hopefully down to 0 with the reason given due to having this management and ownership.

11 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

There are lots of elite players around the league. There's no reason to sign in Vancouver when management is lowballing their captain money, so much so that he has to be traded to save cap space.

There is no reason to be loyal to Vancouver right now, aside from fulfilling contractual obligations. Clearly, Horvat's looking elsewhere but Vancouver.

Seriously dude, if we were playoff contenders, I'd see your point. We haven't even STARTED our much needed rebuild. Why the hell do you think people will want to play here now when the future is so uncertain about success?

Will we recover from this? I'm sure we will. Players will have to be convinced again though.

all I am saying is signing here is still an option. What are you going off on what is just me making a factual point? I’m not saying he’s going to, just saying it’s a possibility. 

Players may need to be convinced…?

Turnover is part of the game. 
They may also decide to leave on their own for their own reasons. Johnny Hockey was close to a cup in CGY, but he left, even after being offered more money to stay. I agree that our club isn’t as much a destination for players in the state it is in…but it’s also a stronger option now for players who we

might need for the future…like NCAA options that are coming up and looking to find a place where they will get their best chance to stick in the NHL. You have to look at the flip side of every situation or circumstance. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JamesB said:

I am not sure I have ever seen so much agreement on CDC.

Basically, everyone loves Bruce.

And everyone is unhappy with JR for throwing him under the bus and not treating him with respect he deserves.

And everyone is unhappy with Aqulini for being the underlying cause of the last decade of futility.

Certainly that is how I feel.

It is possible that JR could turn things around, but I am not impressed with what he has done so far.  He keeps promising positive changes and he has upped the ante to "major surgery". But so far he has over-promised and under-delivered.

There was some admittance in his latest speech. Who knows maybe he’ll bite the bullet and deal miller. He doesnt have to own up to it with any type of comment it’s just something that 20/20 hindsite should guide him to do. The right thing !

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1