The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Bruce Boudreau, Trent Cull; name Rick Tocchet as head coach, Adam Foote as assistant coach, Sergei Gonchar as defensive development coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, ToTellTheTruth said:

Took it out of context, I thought you were referring to the standings.

There is a real chance for DFL, the next 4 games could put the team within a few points.

nah i was talking about +/- differential between PPG and SH coz they were talking about PP was a bright spot lol.. but ya in terms of standing i'm all in for the free fall.. but not likely to catch the others

1 minute ago, 24K PureCool said:

We will just have to agree to disagree cause to me it doesn't take any sort of genius to put two and tow together about JR's comment and Bruce contract status especially JR was asked directly about it and was coil in his answe. 

Any fan can put those two piece if information together and ran with it. 

Yeah no problem.

just remember, media seeks and sells negative. 
it’s why we don’t have prime time news stations focusing on good news stories until the latter portion of the broadcast. 
the run a cycle or script that’s intended to manipulate the user experience. 
that same shit has happened throughout this ordeal. 

anyway, thanks for the convo 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • There it is 1

19 minutes ago, aznmonk said:

Should of given Bruce a wtf moment bring him to center ice, with players surrounded him with stick taps and crowd chants Bruce there it is!!!!!!!!! Now that he will never forget.. he would of just retired there Center stage like WWE' undertaker.  And bring out the dead man theme song.. or even his favorite player Owen's 

Then watch out watch out watch out and he choke slams Tocchet and they start going at it.

2 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Yeah no problem.

just remember, media seeks and sells negative. 
it’s why we don’t have prime time news stations focusing on good news stories until the latter portion of the broadcast. 
the run a cycle or script that’s intended to manipulate the user experience. 
that same shit has happened throughout this ordeal. 

anyway, thanks for the convo 

You don't have to remind me. I know negative media sales. Just this time I agree with them. Nothing more. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, aznmonk said:

Should of given Bruce a wtf moment bring him to center ice, with players surrounded him with stick taps and crowd chants Bruce there it is!!!!!!!!! Now that he will never forget.. he would of just retired there Center stage like WWE' undertaker.  And bring out the dead man theme song.. or even his favorite player Owen's 

Watch Anaheim or Minnesota have an appreciation night for him against us.

• Haha 1
  • There it is 1

2 hours ago, RWJC said:

Yet to be seen.

if you want to perceive the future in a negative light, go right ahead.

If a Keenan-like era comes about then deal with it then.

too many people jumping the gun because they want to be upset about Bruce, but if we end up a successful franchise because of the difficult changes, same people will start talking out of the other side of their face. 

Bruce tried his best with what little we have to work with that could reciprocate. 
the saddest part of this is that it could be his twilight for his career in this capacity, just like when a player is forced to retire but their heart still wants to play.
it’s potentially a very sad ending to a great career. That’s where the real hurt comes from. it transpired in a very unfortunate matter, but it was absolutely necessary. 

Folks so worried this team will get worse. Maybe check the direction we’ve been trending in. Also, to the same fans, be accountable. Like single

file lemmings, most have clinged onto media speculation about this, developing a slow burn “outrage” over the way this has been handled when it’s a very common but unfortunate circumstance in pro sport. The irony, who’s cashing in right now off the misery? The media outlets and personalities who helped perpetuate the drama. Where’s their apology for adding fuel to the fire? No where, because creating fire is the intention.

for the first time in years we are privy right now to a top 5 pick.  What the F does that tell you about how great this team has been?!? Bruce couldn’t save it, despite giving it his all. new voices, changes and direction needed all around. Can’t say I’m all that fond of who’s in charge now, can’t say I trust them at all just yet, but it’s probably a fair to give them a goddamn chance at least. After all, they are trying to establish a winning team, culture and legacy for us fans too.

I'm with you but green had a longer leash! Then GREEN Wasn't the problem, coaches weren't the problem it's the damn players! Overpriced over hyped or maybe it's even the owner fire him instead for not getting full value out of Marky, tan man etc.. holding on to them for way to long and not getting nothing in return.. all those deals that could of, would of went through didn't.  So who are we to blame.??? If they can't fix the on ice product. Not even the great Scotty bowman can help this club. The 3 men look so similar to one another at the press.. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

You don't have to remind me. I know negative media sales. Just this time I agree with them. Nothing more. 

For years before this under Benning's tenure the media were backing Benning for all they were worth, a 7 - 0 loss would be all about how hard X player played or how much promise Y prospect would help the team and how the injuries were the excuse so it wasn't the management's fault even to the part of a player leaving within 24 hours of receiving the Canuck contract offer, he didn't like the smell of the city! What crap that was. It was simply a insulting offer and the player was naïve in negotiation practices of offer counter offer and the Canucks knew he had just a small window to accept or take the other offer, they knew but no, "he didn't like the smell of the city"

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Watch Anaheim or Minnesota have an appreciation night for him against us.

YA, Bruce There It Is.

2 minutes ago, aznmonk said:

I'm with you but green had a longer leash! Then GREEN Wasn't the problem, coaches weren't the problem it's the damn players! Overpriced over hyped or maybe it's even the owner fire him instead for not getting full value out of Marky, tan man etc.. holding on to them for way to long and not getting nothing in return.. all those deals that could of, would of went through didn't.  So who are we to blame.??? If they can't fix the on ice product. Not even the great Scotty bowman can help this club. The 3 men look so similar to one another at the press.. 

How can you even think that? They told you what to think! You can't know good from bad your a fan.

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I’m not blaming this fully on media at all.

that doesn’t make any sense to do especially when JR already admitted fault for his bonehead statements. 

like I’ve stated previously, I try and be objective as I can when I form perspectives. I thinks it’s fair to the subject matter rather than just defaulting to what naturally feels like a right or wrong. In this case, I look at the media taking something a statement which at the time was obvious and in hindsight was unequivocally accurate, and immediately tying that into Bruce’s contract status. It could have been left separate - on ice criticism vs businesses side, but that’s the angle the media wanted to frame and roll with because it was a great hook. 

here we have JR apologizing for the comments. He wasn’t really apologizing for what he said, he was apologizing for how it was perceived and how that affected people. Essentially he was apologizing for thinking he could speak candidly and directly. Maybe he should have known better, but this media market managed to get a guy who his whollllllle decades long career has been direct, candid, thorough and a good interview, to announce he will now shut up. (though perhaps that’s a good thing now?)

they are parasitic. Who originated this story and subsequently has his name plastered everywhere as the source of this info? Friedman. I’d say he’s benefitted quite well from this affair, and what bothers me most is he has the smug audacity to pontificate on how poorly Bruce has been treated, when Friedman himself fed off the blood being drawn. Such hypocrisy. Sickening.

so yeah, I also blame the media.

Its the job of the media to sell itself. Friedman owes us nothing, he isn't part of the Vancouver media market. Its his job to be an "insider" and break stories, that's what he gets paid to do. He also isn't reliant on the Canucks to sell his stories like some of the reporters who specifically cover the Canucks, so he doesn't care about hurting anyone's feelings on the Canucks.

As you mentioned in your post JR has been part of this league for decades, has he never heard of Lou Lamoriello? Why does the guy run such a tight ship, if not to avoid situations like these? He doesn't feed the reporters even an ounce of information. There is speculation that at the draft he broke off a deal with the Canucks after he felt that information had been leaked. That takes dedication and sacrifice, Lou isn't well loved by the media. They don't write puff pieces about him. I feel like JR's "candidness" was him liking the sound of his voice and it also speaks to a level of arrogance. Why are you out there criticizing the coaching when you have done a piss poor job of improving the team's biggest weakness, the defense?

Is JR so naïve that he wouldn't understand how his answers would be perceived? If so I am even more concerned about him running this team. There was a much easier way of handling this as people have already mentioned, let Boudreau go right after the story leaks, and announce that Yeo was the interim coach. Instead JR decides that he is going to let his "friend" Bruce twist in this wind... What you are blaming the media for also lays at the feet of our management. I have literally never heard of an organization continuing to trot out a coach who the media has already announced has been fired with a replacement named. Can you?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

6 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I don't think Tocchet's gambling conviction should be held against him.

After that happened, he went on to be a successful assistant with Pittsburg under Rutherford... with no sign he had reverted to any of his gambling ways.

He was re-hired at Arizona many years later as a head coach... which tells you there was confidence he had not fallen back into any bad habits.

The issue is his lack of success as a coach, not his gambling conviction.

You mean he hasn't been caught? Doesn't matter now because the NHL backs gambling but what if it was more than just gambling, what if there was .... enhancers?

Already proved he would break rules.

The Bookie, tank with him and the team will lose out on any lottery draft pick because he may have had fixed a game, that IS what stealth tanking is after all.

2 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Some of these pressers sure get edited eh?

Any player video apart from two players?

Any rumored player discontent?

JR did say he was getting calls from agents. Agents don't just call about this stuff unless there are real issues and player concerns.

5 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

That is a heck of a lot of money for a coach with his record. Really doesn't help dispel the notion that JR is just securing the money bag for his buddies. 

That seems high, no?  Maybe it’s 2.75 mil for the rest of this season and two more?  Are coaches’ salaries published?  

39 minutes ago, ToTellTheTruth said:

Arizona won. 4 points back of the Nux now.

IF the team was to lose to Chicago they would be 3 points back

And Columbus as well then 5 points

DFL is a real possibility or at least 2nd last

Tocchet was the coach when Tampa tanked for Stamkos

Nice I like that. Now we can have signs at the game tank for Bedard. Since tocchet wants to go slow and learn his players. It's like a head start for pre-season. I hopefully think and wish that if canucks manage to get top 5, then Bedard would take a hit and claim his love to the canucks! 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Personally I don't support allowing convicted criminals with mob ties around children. 

Oh man quit your whining and crying already I thought you said you were leaving because you were fed up? We got your point hours ago, move on.

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1