The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Bruce Boudreau, Trent Cull; name Rick Tocchet as head coach, Adam Foote as assistant coach, Sergei Gonchar as defensive development coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

22 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

It's a complete write off. I really don't think Tocchet is here to win as many games as possible the rest of this season. Next season yes, this season no. I think he was brought in when he was so he can evaluate and provide input into which players stay and which go. IMO there's going to be a substantial amount of player movement coming and JR wanted Tocchet's input as he see's him as the coach long term.

JR and Alvin said that Tocchet main focus is to evaluate players correct, not necessarily win games. But to your point of giving points away to teams under us "purposely" that isnt going to happen either. The main point, which every fan should agree with is, is to cut away the fat of the team and give certain players more accountability and ice time, that includes bringing up younger players from AHL, reducing ice time on some players while increasing ice time on others. 

Edited by CanuckRookieFan
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Miller doesn't hold a candle to Kes's compete level. Both of them being moody doesn't make them similar, Kes worked his ass off game in and game out for years and as a result was one of the top two-way forwards of the 2000's-2010's era. 

Don’t misconstrue my quote I would never NEVER compare the 2 in fact you must have understood it to be the exact opposite ,not a miller fan At all ! 

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

Not a write off, we brought in Tocchet to try to get as many wins as possible down the stretch. 

I think this will be more about process, structure, "playing the right way", commitment, practice habits and evaluation than actually winning games. The remainder of this season anyway.

22 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

It's a complete write off. I really don't think Tocchet is here to win as many games as possible the rest of this season. Next season yes, this season no. I think he was brought in when he was so he can evaluate and provide input into which players stay and which go. IMO there's going to be a substantial amount of player movement coming and JR wanted Tocchet's input as he see's him as the coach long term.

Yup. Show them how they will be expected to play the rest of this year and moving forward to future seasons, and weed out the guys who can't/won't play to win.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

2 minutes ago, Ronning4center said:

Is it just me or do we suddenly have three warriors out there.  These men don't mess around and the canucks look like school kids next to our coaches.

I see a change of compete coming.

We need tougher players.

Smart, fast, and tough players who know the heavy game.

These coaches may be able to help with that and I hope they do. 

Still, eventually, you need the actual players.

35 minutes ago, sxqhfeh said:

Always a good interview. 

He's right, Boudreau wasn't done right. He's also right about Rutherford's criticisms of Bruce regarding structure, team, their defensive play, ect. It was on Rutherford to address the defense during the summer and everyone knew it, they did nothing. Boudreau was given a subpar team from the outset, the personnel is on Allvin and Rutherford. Rutherford has a track record of liking to point fingers, redirect, or to shift blame elsewhere. He doesn't own his own shit very often. 

He's also right about getting a new coach mid season being tough, you're very much learning on the fly. Getting a bump doesn't benefit us at this point either, he's right about that, and that's one of the reasons why I wasn't keen on making a coaching change til closer to the end of the season. We're better off losing.

I understand the argument of trying to fast-track some of the adjustments but Hansen's right, you just don't have the time to really button down and learn and adjust to all these things mid-season. Particularly with it not just being one new coach coming in, but three. It's going to be a lot and we probably won't see immediate results, thankfully we'll probably continue to see mostly losses. 

He's also right about Miller needing to make sure he's not actively hurting the team when he's not playing well, about not letting things get sour the way he has this season. 

I'd agree that we probably don't have the horses for an effective PK and that's on Rutherford and Allvin. He's also right about needing to take pride in not being scored on, and about that coming more naturally for players who are paid to not be scored on. We miss guys like Eddie, Tanev, Kes, Burrows, Hansen, Higgins, Manny and so on. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

39 minutes ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

Not a write off, we brought in Tocchet to try to get as many wins as possible down the stretch. 

Why?

we just need him to test the players in different situations and doing so it’s very much for losing games without loosing face. 
A nice tank mode 

• There it is 1

J.R. = Hero to Zero in .20 secs... 

I knew this was going to happen, saw the horses hook up to the bandwagon. 

Then down the road a ways (and there's always this) the wheels came loose and everyone jumped as it hit the ditch! 

So much for the Canucks Savior, but until the proper changes on the ice happen, it doesn't really matter who is coaching, it's not going to work.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

JR and Alvin said that Tocchet main focus is to evaluate players correct, not necessarily win games. But to your point of giving points away to teams under us "purposely" that isnt going to happen either. The main point, which every fan should agree with is, is to cut away the fat of the team and give certain players more accountability and ice time, that includes bringing up younger players from AHL, reducing ice time on some players while increasing ice time on others. 

Part A I agree with.

Part B I condemn with the highest level of importance!

Part and parcel with part A; Tochett & his team should be tasked with absolutely nothing but evaluating our current NHL group.  Make them accountable. Cut the fat off. Install systems. Get the team hustling, cohesive fighting for each other, every puck, every back check, assignment. Develop the team culture.  More important, the on ice roles & systems.

Part B; You will absolutely destroy our young players having them be part of disjointed team & cluttered systems. What we have right now.  It works part and parcel with team tank? Should not be confused with each other.  KEEP THEM AS FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE TILL THIS IS SOLVED. When there are designated roles, moments to deploy that are well controlled. That will be the time to bring up your youth. 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

We need tougher players.

Smart, fast, and tough players who know the heavy game.

These coaches may be able to help with that and I hope they do. 

Still, eventually, you need the actual players.

Yup, while I do believe more structured, disciplined play would have got more out of this existing  group, we still very much have massive holes and ill fitting, redundant, not defensively strong players that need to be fixed by management.

We need at least a couple more "Mikheyev's" in our top 9, a 3C and two top 4 RHD, and one 3LD that play a defensive brand of hockey. And if we do indeed lose Horvat (as it appears we will), you can add a 2C to that list.

Edited by aGENT

14 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

I hope they permanently change the logo back. That looks so good.

That's part of the problem that the team has no identity. Because it can't decide on it's identity.

I hated the skate before, I still hate it. 

I always felt the team in the 90's was great in spite of the star wars stupid skate, not because of it. 

It's like disco. It always seems to come back from the dead. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yup, while I do believe more structured, disciplined play would have got more out of this existing  group, we still very much have massive holes and ill fitting, redundant, not defensively strong players that need to be fixed by management.

We need at least a couple more "Mikheyev's" in our top 9, a 3C and two top 4 RHD, and one 3LD that play a defensive brand of hockey. And if we do indeed lose Horvat (as it appears we will), you can add a 2C to that list.

Its amazing what a boss can do though.  Ive worked for guys that were tough as nails and you had respect for.  It ups your game big time.  Everyone loved Bruce

and they said they'd go to war for him...but did they?  I sure didnt see it.  Tochett had 40 goal seasons with 10 fights.  Foote blocked shots and ate them like

skittles...Gonchar played during one of the most ruthless eras of slashing and elbowing and still put up almost 1000 points as a Dman.

These guys walked the walk.  Its legit.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

My hope is that Tocchet and his coaches will set up a system and work the players into it. We can certainly expect trades prior to the TDL. When those new players arrive they will be fitted into the mix. Rotating Abby players who have earned a 3 - 4 game shot shouldn't be a problem. That said the bottom line is a competitive Abby team that goes deep into the Calder Cup playoffs. 

I am on team tank. I want the lowest pick the Canucks can get. #5 sounds real good. Combine that with picks and prospects coming back from trades. I assume Bo is gone. I wanted Miller gone over Bo but so be it. I suspect the new coaches watch Miller closely to see if he should go as well. I suspect Boeser wilts even more. I am very curious to see how the d-core performs with Foote and Gonchar working with them. If they can stabilize OEL's game it will be a huge bonus. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1