The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Bruce Boudreau, Trent Cull; name Rick Tocchet as head coach, Adam Foote as assistant coach, Sergei Gonchar as defensive development coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

9 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Toucchet?

It seems JR pushes Aquilini a bit.

Before JR said that Aquilini didn’t want to pay for both Green and BB. 
So JR has probably forced Aquilini to change his mind.

It might signal a change from owner to management.

good point.  It's been always our owner just firing a guy who didn't agree with his directions. Hopefully our owner allows any trades to be the best return for us, even if that's future picks and prospects.  We don't need to go for the fast "retool" if that means we are taking lesser value in trade return.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JayDangles said:

I gotta admit.

Tocchet is saying all the things I want to hear.

He is talking about building "relationships with teammates" and that's non-negotiable. This is about team culture, chemistry and playing like a unit on the ice. I love it.

He is talking about JT Miller and his emotions. Going to help him understand when the emotions are helpful and when they aren't .

I think once people let go of all the sour grapes from the Bruce exit, they might be surprised at what a guy like Tocchet can do for this team.

8 million $ JTMILLER said all the “right” things  prior to season too, but he has yet to show up and back his words. I’ll believe it when I see it. Let’s see if Pouty miller will change for the better. 

58 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I get the same feeling with EP. He has been in the shadow of Bo and co. since he came here and this gives him a chance to grow and sprout his wings so to speak. it will be interesting to see how he reacts to the changes and I foresee him and Kuz as our next top pairing for years to come.

God i hope so.  Lots saying we need to trade Kuz but i'd rather trade a few others (even if we take a hit on the trades).

He's a special player with elite talent, great personality,  and high entertainment value. 

Why trade what you want "hope" draft pick to be in a few years when that player fell in our lap last off-season.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, IBatch said:

94?   Well sure Messier cheap shotted Linden in game six, but it for sure wasn't a team that was "pushed around".   Actually most of the teams we had that weren't as good as our division rivals, still didn't get pushed around until the new century.   We had some big mean and tough players, even if we didn't have the star power (80's). 

Gino/Antoski/Hunter... our D was all big. Bure got "pushed around" by Churla, that didn't work out so well for him.     In 94, the Canucks got stronger as the series went on, game six we were as convincingly the better team as the Rangers were against us in Game 1 (which we won, that's to McLeans amazing play) ... CAL was the only team in 94 that gave us some issues, and that was mostly Roberts running McLean.   Gino sat a lot of 94 in favour of Antoski, a better skater.    Didn't start seeing the Canucks getting pushed around until the mid-late  2000's.    And even then, it's not like we were slouches in the department, just no longer the team others didn't mind playing in the alley with.   Boston definitely had us in that regard.  

You are right, that era was probably the last time we had a coach and players who didn't take any crap. We also had Momesso, Diduck and Sandlak. We all know what Gino could do but he did see much of the bench during the playoffs. Craven was probably one of the only softies on the team and even he didn't shy away from the rough stuff.

You are right about the 2000's , there was some pretty embarrassing moments in this teams history and I really hope that it is all behind us now and we become a team which the visitors are no longer comfortable in coming into our building.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

OMG the connection was right there the whole time, I was clueless…but yes this is it. JR had found his mini me LOL

This is hilarious 

Mini me, you complete me :lol:

I liked JR's openness

It was just that he said one thing and Allvin ignored everything and did his thing, the opposite. Allvin runs the team period.

I hope Rutherford keeps informing fans about his thoughts anyway.

Allvin so far, was a bad hire. Trying to be too tough with other GMs. He is like Benning, unsure of himself and scared to make a mistake especially after that disastrous contract for Miller. Truly I think he knew he was losing both and that is why he signed Boeser and Miller to over priced contracts.

All this crud about not wanting to keep retention but do buyouts is so illogical.

I think they aren't trading Horvat before the TDL without letting other teams talk to his agent is because they are worried a team will trade and then flip him for more by letting other teams talk to his agent.

IMO they will wait until the 12th hour to make any trades just so that doesn't happen.

I knew technology was improving I just didn't think it extended to a hologram of Goncher at practices in the future

Edited by ToTellTheTruth
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I think you are cherry picking. The 2 seasons prior to .475 were over .500. You say he did not elevate his teams which might be true based on winning % but reports from players and hockey people are positive about Tocchet. I guess the proof will be shown to us this next few months.

I do not expect this roster to turn things around dramatically this spring. What I want to see from the new coaches is a defensively sound game. Build from that. Winning teams build from the net out. I won't dump on the 2 back up tenders we have now. As back ups they would be fine IMHO. But the club is asking them to carry the load. With Demko out we see clearly what the current roster doesn't do in their own zone. If Gonchar and Foote can bring some accountability into the Canuck d-zone which is far more than just the defensemen than that is a major building block. 

JR & PA have had a year to assess and prepare for this TDL. I can only hope that they have a series of trades on the burner which will help transform our Canucks. Some of these moves, such as trading Horvat, should be transformational for the franchise. If Bo is traded I assume EP40 takes the "C". He is the future of the franchise. The players coming back to the team from trades should be 24 or younger. Tocchet has experience working with young players. He should be a fit. 

Yep... the whole coaching change doesn't make sense, unless they have a plan.

They may want to give Tocchet a good bit of time, to work with the players not traded at TDL, but I would be odd if they didn't have a plan, how to continue forward.

Changes has to happen.... we are going in circles atm... and nowhere fast.

• Vintage 2

13 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

FLATULENT Rutherford FIRES Nobel peace prize recipient BRUCE BOUDREAU and HIRES convicted felon RICK TOCCHET. 

HOWEVER Elliot Friedman reports that CRYSTAL CLEAR SOURCE says this is all part of a bigger plan to rip a big FARD FOR BEDARD 

Lowest point in team history when Gassy Jim tried to blame Delia’s skate. ;)

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

If that's bad - Babcock and Sutter are downright awful.   

Babcock" Got to push pucks"   "Got hit pucks"   "Got to kick the puck"  "Got to kiss the puck"  "Got to be the puck" la da da dee da.    You guys hated Green's press stuff too.   So i'm going to guess he's going to be hated here too.     Sure he sniffed a lot and talked fast.    Tochett is an animal.   So why not let us find out how he does before picking on stupid stuff like how he talks.   

im giving tocchett a chance and not gunna bash him right away, but how the hell was he on tv as an analyst, maybe its just because of the situation here and the media being hounds since the BB fiasco.

8 minutes ago, ToTellTheTruth said:

I knew technology was improving I just didn't think it extended to a hologram of Goncher at practices in the future

I know there’s been a lot of talk about our “zoom coach,” but didn’t they say Gonchar would be with the team in-person for roughly ten days out of every month? I think the online options are more about the players having access to his coaching even when he’s not physically with the team, rather than him doing his whole job virtually.

Although a hologram coach would be pretty cool. Or maybe they could fit the whole team with VR headsets for practices. Could be some very cutting edge, innovative use of tech. Gillis eat your heart out. :lol:

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I think you are cherry picking. The 2 seasons prior to .475 were over .500. You say he did not elevate his teams which might be true based on winning % but reports from players and hockey people are positive about Tocchet. I guess the proof will be shown to us this next few months.

I do not expect this roster to turn things around dramatically this spring. What I want to see from the new coaches is a defensively sound game. Build from that. Winning teams build from the net out. I won't dump on the 2 back up tenders we have now. As back ups they would be fine IMHO. But the club is asking them to carry the load. With Demko out we see clearly what the current roster doesn't do in their own zone. If Gonchar and Foote can bring some accountability into the Canuck d-zone which is far more than just the defensemen than that is a major building block. 

JR & PA have had a year to assess and prepare for this TDL. I can only hope that they have a series of trades on the burner which will help transform our Canucks. Some of these moves, such as trading Horvat, should be transformational for the franchise. If Bo is traded I assume EP40 takes the "C". He is the future of the franchise. The players coming back to the team from trades should be 24 or younger. Tocchet has experience working with young players. He should be a fit. 

Wins above replacement indicate that Tocchet is slightly underachieving his previous team's true talent level in terms of points per season per Dom Luszczyszyn's model per Drance (kind of have to rely on him for this casue those number are pay walled). 

So concerns over Tocchet's coaching abilities is warranted. We will see. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

If that's bad - Babcock and Sutter are downright awful.   

Babcock" Got to push pucks"   "Got hit pucks"   "Got to kick the puck"  "Got to kiss the puck"  "Got to be the puck" la da da dee da.    You guys hated Green's press stuff too.   So i'm going to guess he's going to be hated here too.     Sure he sniffed a lot and talked fast.    Tochett is an animal.   So why not let us find out how he does before picking on stupid stuff like how he talks.   

Very true... Lets see what Tocchet brings. 

For years, probably since at least 2011 the majority on these boards have complained about the lack of toughness, of our players...

Tbh I could care less about, what he did years ago... everyone is entitled to a second chance.

A culture change could be coming. and I for one would applaud that... 

• There it is 1

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

This whole thread is like some insane toxic rant :lol:  

HATE! ANGER! BLAME! SPEW! CRY! WAAAAAAAA!!!

like thats the big elephant in the room right, i know its an old saying but small bites at a time, you know we gotta go in everyday and uhhh, cant swallow that elephant in one bite right?

• elephant 2

1 minute ago, TNucks1 said:

like thats the big elephant in the room right, i know its an old saying but small bites at a time, you know we gotta go in everyday and uhhh, cant swallow that elephant in one bite right?

yep, many small bites and then playoffs! :towel: