The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Bruce Boudreau, Trent Cull; name Rick Tocchet as head coach, Adam Foote as assistant coach, Sergei Gonchar as defensive development coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Kenny Powers said:

Both played well as recently as last season. I’m optimistic we can get more value from the, with better coaching.

Watching OEL live yesterday I thought he played really well. Like he played last year. I’m definitely not writing him off 

• Like 1
  • There it is 2

1 minute ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Bruce Boudreau exits as one of the most successful coaches in Canucks history by any measure (msn.com)

This article sums it up quite nicely. What it all boils down to is the way this whole thing was handled, not in what inevitably transpired.

Even if anyone thinks BB wasn't the right coach for this team, it's still obvious and plain to see that our douche management group, right to the top, handled this "inevitability" poorly and shamefully.

My god they sure have made being a fan of the club an embarrassment

• There it is 2

1 minute ago, 24K PureCool said:

I will say the silverlining with Tocchet is he might sour so much on Pettey and Hughes that they demand a trade out thus finally forc8ng that rebuild we desperately needed. 

Petey especially, he thrived under Boudreau. I wonder if he knows just how much influence he has with the team? Petey was also urging fans on in the chant last night

2 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Oh, so how come you all still run criminal record checks and pretty much deny employment if someone has a single conviction in their records? 

There is a reason why people tend to repeat crimes after getting out. 

You need to back up a decision like that, and there is court precedence for when it’s appropriate. 

Think I get your point, and discrimination does happen. Doesn’t mean we need to perpetuate it here. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Could someone please explain just what terrible treatment management inflicted on Bruce that was so dire some fans are even jumping off the bandwagon?

From what I garnered:

After a second disastrous start to a season, even though Bruce had his training camp and new season to start, rumours started flying about him being fired. 

- Not unusual in the pro sports world

Hints, or jabs if you want, by JR since last season about the team's defensive structure not being good enough.  - - But was he wrong?  And he gave him another chance to fix it this season.

Is it that Bruce all but knew he was getting canned a full month in advance, and still had to pretend to care about the team and face reporters?

- He didn't have to pretend. I think he did still care about the team and winning right to his last game. He loved coaching, even if he suspected he was toast. Could they have fired him earlier and just elevated Yeo until Tocchet could be released from his media gig? I suppose, but I believe that if you had asked Bruce if he wanted to stay until his replacement was available or just leave a month ago now, he'd probably want to stay and coach to the bitter end. 

Bruce was paid well, and is already a wealthy man regardless. He's had a great career. As a player and a coach. I would have loved to see him have success here. It sucks that the team sucked so much for him.  But it didn't work out, and we all know who gets fired first on a losing team.....the coach. Its not surprising is it?

Now personally, I would have like to keep Bruce on....if he choose to knowing his fate...to the end of the season.  If he didn't want to stay on the job knowing that clearly, he could have had the option of leaving in December already. Either way probably less of this stoked up outrage by media and fans. But Bruce is a big boy, its a rough business, he knows that better than anyone.

I also am leary of Tocchet.  They should have played out the season with Boudreau, or one of his assistant coaches, and then had a more extensive search once the season was over.  They are firing a winning coach and hiring a losing one with way less games experience. And hearing how he's dumb enough to cheer on the Crybaby Convoy is troubling.  It makes me suspect his overall mental strength if he can be duped so easily by internet trolls and whacky conspiracy theories. 

But saying that, he's not a politician, I don't care about his politics as long as he does his job well, and establishes a winning culture for the team.  I gotta give him a chance.  Face it, we are living in a dictatorship....no not Trudeau's.......but we live and die by a billionaire's whims.  And there is nothing we can do but hope he is right this time, or the President he hired is right to be more precise.

So I wish Briuce a happy retirement if that's what he chooses, Too bad his coaching career had to end in this $%^# show but he can look back and be proud of his time coaching. And i also wish Tocchet success here, for obvious reasons.  He may be just what the doctor ordered.  I only hope his message doesn't sink in until the beginning of next season. No bump please.

Well said. This fanbase it just full of sentimental complainers right now. It's hard to blame em though. Like you said I also feel he would have preferred to stay and coach if given the ultimatum last month. Everyone including him knew it was coming people just need to relax. As far as making the switch now I'm sure there is some reasoning behind it. Apparently they want to get Rick's viewpoint before making trades and such. It definitely helps as well to start working with the team and implementing new styles and structures as soon as possible. In that sense the team absolutely needs to make the best decision for the team, not Bruce's feelings and day to day unfortunately.

• Like 3
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Devron said:

Watching OEL live yesterday I thought he played really well. Like he played last year. I’m definitely not writing him off 

Yeah, we’re aligned on OEL, as usual. He’s still a massive talent, despite his contract. He also hasn’t had an ideal partner IMHO. Hoping we address that at the TDL.

Would like to see him with a big shutdown D, and a structure where forwards play better D

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

The timing of this hiring may have a lot to do with the upcoming TDL. Management will probably want Tocchet to provide some input into who the young players coming back in trade returns. 

I hope not.

If you’re making long terms plans based on who your coach is at the time you’re being too short sighted.

If they wanna build a contender they need to already have an idea of how they wanna play and what their identity is. That should fit with whatever coach they hire now or in the future.

• There it is 1