The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Andrei Kuzmenko

2 hours ago, Sell.the.team said:

Really not sure what the plan is here.

I love Kuz and think it's a decent deal but we have a log jam of forwards and this just limits our cap flexibility going into the deadline.  I feel like this was yet another PR stunt.

I disagree. Mikheyev was their pick-up and so was Kuz.  Both set up a nice line with EP for this team to use as a foundation for the "next build / retool".  It solidifies making Brock expendable.  I think we can all agree that Kuz is the better player, is more dynamic and hungry.  Quite honestly, he's who I thought Brock would be.....and is being paid less cash.

I hope that they can find a way to ship Miller's salary out but at the very least they should be able to move Brock and Bo. With Myers' salary done next year, they're in better shape financially.

Lastly, I think there's a PR move here but I wouldn't call it a stunt.  Bruce was beloved by fans and so is Bo.  Both were thought to be treated poorly by the new management.  If a player picks your team to come over to from Russia, plays his heart out and tells the world he loves the city and the team despite playing on a losing team, I think it's the worst strategic move to trade him away.  Players are likely unsettled by the Canucks management now, but showing some loyalty and belief in a player helps stabilize the perception and rebuilds the trust players may have with a free agent signing.....and in this case, it's a good hockey move to sign Kuz anyway.

Edited by NHL97OneTimer
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Two thoughts I have, and they’re just thoughts out loud 

1) Is this deal done to give Petey some confidence that he’s still going to be playing with the kind of offensive player that he’s comfortable playing with and he can produce with?

2) Is the term of the deal such that the Canucks can free that capspace up in 2 years if they trade option is there to deal Kuz in the second year to make such a deal? 

The deal works for both sides and give the team the flexibility to do things if they need to, like keeping him or trading him when Kuz turns 29. 

Key word.... 

Atm, a lot depends on which movement that can be done, to make the team competitive... 

If EP goes next year, or the dynamic falters Kuz should be easy to move. 

I definitely makes a lot of sense....

Kuzemenko is the first brick in the rebuild. I can't understand why so many of you can't see that. They go out and sign a guy who chose them over 31 other teams, he comes in and is nothing but positive and even joyful at being a Canuck, he is on pace for 35-40 goals, and he has shown that he thinks the game at a similar level to Petey. I look at that and say, we succeeded beyond our wildest dreams, let's keep him and make him part of the new core. Yet others look at the same things and say, Yeah, his value is really high so let's trade him for a young underachiever, a draft pick, which is basically a roll of the dice, and veteran bottom six guy to even out the money. And Dan Milstein is so annoyed that he vows to never steer a Russian free agent towards Vancouver ever again. But yeah, we got PO-tential up the yin yang. And, in another year, Kuzmenko begins to pop up in conversations about Panarin and Kaprizov and Kucherov. Don't laugh, it could happen, and wouldn't you rather it happened in Vancouver?

• Like 4

14 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

I was saying the same thing Drance was re: trading Kuz… but now that he’s signed it isn’t hard to pivot into a positive take and look to other places moves can be made. 

The endless need to huff and moan over everything in this market is just exasperating. 

My preference was also to trade him. And often I agree with Drance’s takes.

That said, Kuz seems to be a really fun guy to be around. Perhaps the positive vibes of just having him in the room are worth more to the team than we know.

Also, as a rookie with limited games played, maybe the trade offers weren’t as great as I hoped. Maybe if we’re still spinning our wheels in a couple of years, he’ll be worth even more as a more proven NHL-er. That’s possible too. Heck, he seems to be getting better as he becomes accustomed to the NHL, so maybe he’ll be nearing Panarin-level hype by then.

So yeah, there are a couple of reasons why re-signing Kuz may be the best option. Saying it was definitively not and this is nothing more than a missed opportunity seems disingenuous.

• There it is 3

6 hours ago, hammertime said:

These 'hockey writers' remind me of the old (before computers) magazine/newsletter, was it Hockey News?

They used to print up a huge issue before every season started.

It was always dead wrong; all based on old information and conjecture; somewhat like all these bloggers or whatever they are today.

But we used to buy it every year, until one day I just quit bothering with that bull.

• Cheers 4

56 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

These 'hockey writers' remind me of the old (before computers) magazine/newsletter, was it Hockey News?

They used to print up a huge issue before every season started.

It was always dead wrong; all based on old information and conjecture; somewhat like all these bloggers or whatever they are today.

But we used to buy it every year, until one day I just quit bothering with that bull.

My dear departed father-in-law once got me a subscription to The Hockey News and I am ashamed to admit I rarely read them. Except for the Future Watch and Draft Previews. I still buy those, but because of editorial and marketing deadlines the yearbooks are done in July, so are out of date before the season starts. The thing about The Hockey News, as with most other magazines, is that people don't need them anymore, now that everything you'd ever want to know is available virtually immediately online. Once you take out all the statistics and rosters all you are left with are opinions, and we can get all the opinions we could possibly want on social media and CDC. 

• Cheers 2

49 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

My dear departed father-in-law once got me a subscription to The Hockey News and I am ashamed to admit I rarely read them. Except for the Future Watch and Draft Previews. I still buy those, but because of editorial and marketing deadlines the yearbooks are done in July, so are out of date before the season starts. The thing about The Hockey News, as with most other magazines, is that people don't need them anymore, now that everything you'd ever want to know is available virtually immediately online. Once you take out all the statistics and rosters all you are left with are opinions, and we can get all the opinions we could possibly want on social media and CDC. 

You reminded me, we also used to buy a paper copy of the NHL Records book, expensive and out of date almost immediately.

Now we are up to date immediately on everything, and it is, more or less, free.

We didn't even get all the Canucks games on TV; just now and then when CBC felt like it.

15 hours ago, EB43 said:

Great deal, but can’t help but think the plan is to try and ice the same team next year..

Possibly? Maybe even probably...

But we have to gut at least one year to dispose of toxic contracts.  Myers is up after next season.  And we anticipate a cap increase then.

In the meantime, Petey, Miller, Hughes & Kuzmenko should score an amazing amount of entertaining goals.  Podkolzin, Karlsson & Hoglander can be called up. Demko will be back.  The return after a Bo trade impending. Might even get D help sooner with cap space if we can trade Boeser or Garland also.

2023/24 we will turn the corner if we bit next year in the ass!

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

Pragmatically Kuz should probably been traded. That said there are other players who should go first based on time line and performance. Kuz's entry level cost makes him a real trade chip. The gamble PA is making is that Kuz can come back next year and repeat his scoring rate. He likely can. A 2 yr deal with a NTC limited to 13 teams still makes him movable if need be. . 

36 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Pragmatically Kuz should probably been traded. That said there are other players who should go first based on time line and performance. Kuz's entry level cost makes him a real trade chip. The gamble PA is making is that Kuz can come back next year and repeat his scoring rate. He likely can. A 2 yr deal with a NTC limited to 13 teams still makes him movable if need be. . 

It really all depends. Do we want to keep Petey? If so, signing Kuz was an excellent move. A low 1st rounder doesn't do much for us, assuming that that was even Kuzmenko's value on the market. It's a lottery ticket like most draft picks. For every Pastrnak, you have a McCann, Shinkaruk etc...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, HorvatToBaertschi said:

It really all depends. Do we want to keep Petey? If so, signing Kuz was an excellent move. A low 1st rounder doesn't do much for us, assuming that that was even Kuzmenko's value on the market. It's a lottery ticket like most draft picks. For every Pastrnak, you have a McCann, Shinkaruk etc...

True. As fans we don't know what PA was getting for offers on Kuz. I don't think you can assume it was only a low 1st rdr. Canucks have insisted they want young prospects. In any event we aren't privy and obviously the offers not enough for PA to bite. As said previously there are others I would rather see traded. Your point about Petey is well taken. By this summer he will have to see a clear path forward for Canucks. I fully expect him to be the new captain. 

At the end of the day its a damned if you do damned if you don't situation. There would be just as many people upset we traded him as there are that we signed him. 

If this team was actually going to rebuild and think a few years down the road, then yeah Kuzmenko probably should have been traded. 

However, by the language these guys have been using I'm not surprised they signed him. I think the ultimate factor was his attitude, relationship with teammates and work ethic that they obviously feel he's going to be a key part of the team moving forward. 

I don't really expect him to take a step back next year...he's 27 and if he was able to be this effective his first year on North American ice in the best league in the world he should theoretically continue to get better or at least maintin being a very good top 6 player. I have no problem with re-signing Kuzy....but they HAVE to move some guys out before the deadline...they need to really take advantage of trade chips like Schenn and Bo. Moving Boeser should also be a high priority...do whatever you can with Myers.

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1