The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Report: Multiple NHL coaches blame Canucks ownership & Rutherford for Boudreau debacle

Rate this topic

fivethej

29 minutes ago, Alflives said:

With how things are going it might not be too long.  Isn’t JR’s contract up June 2024?  Allvin too.  New guys come in and then Tocchet is in the same boat Bruce was in.  

but that is too long

that would mean it takes 2.5 years to replace Ol Jimmer and Greenie

and who are they going to get than?

Everyone knows the owner is a problem, that isn’t news.

This mess isn’t likely to have long term consequences on attracting players or talent.

I take Jannick Hansen’s viewpoint as probably the case.  He said stuff like this doesn’t really factor into player decisions.  They care about money and opportunity.  How much they earn, what their roles are, and chance to win.  That is pretty much it.

If we can check those boxes, we can be run by the KKK and most players won’t bat an eye.

As far as coaches go, same thing.  There aren’t many guys like Trotz that can pick his spots… there aren’t many of these jobs and a lot of guys wanting them.  

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Hard not to blame Aquilini after he allowed Rutherford to disgrace the franchise with his continued misconduct.  A sensible owner would have fired JR on the spot for the first offence.

Nice logo man. Lookin' good.

So uh King Kraken now?

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Hard not to blame Aquilini after he allowed Rutherford to disgrace the franchise with his continued misconduct.  A sensible owner would have fired JR on the spot for the first offence.

I thought you were leaving?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Didn't hurt our ability to re-sign Kuzmenko. He easily could have left for greener pastures.

Kuz is the glimmer of hope and positivity us fans need to ease the suffering (from a recency standpoint anyways, Petey and Quinn are a joy to watch as well despite the horrendous team showings)

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The thing is these guys can literally make sh*t up as they get out of bed one day, and nobody can verify anything they say.  It's always, this coach said that, this GM said another thing.  The guys that are actually credible are the ones that break news, interview agents and have a general reputation around the league.  Nobody even likes this Steve Simmons guy, so why would anyone give him inside info or breaking news?  

Even the Toronto players hate this guy and have called him out publicly for his bs...

Yep, isn't this the guy that made stuff up about Phil Kessel and his hotdog guy?

I wouldn't be surprised if some people were unhappy with the way Bruce was treated but the fact that this news is coming from Simmons?

I don't buy any of what he's selling. The guy is a serial liar. He's a fake news factory.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

It's too bad we had to settle for JR, wouldn't it be cool if we were able to poach Burke instead... 

Burke, asked if he'd be interested in becoming President in Vancouver: "No. I'm out. First of all, the Aquilini family wouldn't hire me. They're no fans of mine."

Edited by fivethej
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 2

1 hour ago, Provost said:

This mess isn’t likely to have long term consequences on attracting players or talent.

I take Jannick Hansen’s viewpoint as probably the case.  He said stuff like this doesn’t really factor into player decisions.  They care about money and opportunity.  How much they earn, what their roles are, and chance to win.  That is pretty much it.

If we can check those boxes, we can be run by the KKK and most players won’t bat an eye.

As far as coaches go, same thing.  There aren’t many guys like Trotz that can pick his spots… there aren’t many of these jobs and a lot of guys wanting them.  

I agree on the long tern. However, if we are to apply this same logic to the short term, I could see it being maybe a different story for some. That chance to win right now is a risk if we can't even make the playoffs and if a direction isn't really shown.

And yes, most players and coaches don't fully get to choose where they go, but the players that matter the most and are likely to have the biggest impact do. In order to be successful, we need those players. For some of them, it probably still doesn't matter; we just resigned Kuzmenko afterall; but it's hard to really quantify the impact outside of that. However, I do think there's a good chance that it will affect some of those players for now because the ability to win just isn't there and who knows if we become better or worse.

However, perhaps we're at the point where it doesn't matter anyway. We don't really have much of a choice other than to let this ride out afterall.

Edited by The Lock

1 hour ago, Provost said:

A reality check - good post.  Thanks.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

JR said he had autonomy and that the owner doesn’t influence hockey ops.  Clearly there are a lot of hockey people who are saying JR is a puppet of Aquilini.  IMHAO JR is weak.  He could tell the owner to stuff his ideas, but he knows doing that would cost him any future NHL jobs.  Sure JR does what the owner wants.  And Bruce was a guy who suffered because of JR’s weakness.  JR wanted to move on from Bruce last summer but the owner said no.  JR should have told the owner it’s “Bruce or me”.  Too weak to stand up to the puppeteer.  

There's too much blame on ownership here and not enough blame on JR. He is not the victim. Far from it. Allvin's interview before the CBJ game was telling; Allvin (the GM) said he'd have to talk to JR about hockey decisions (!)

JR is very much calling the shots. Aquilini is rightfully getting heat, but he could've redeemed himself by getting rid of JR. Absolutely trash decision making from up top.

You say JR wanted a new coach but the owner squashed it? Now that JR's coach has been hired by Aquilini, you still think he's a puppet?

Come on. Stop excusing JR please.

Edited by Dazzle
  • There it is 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The thing is these guys can literally make sh*t up as they get out of bed one day, and nobody can verify anything they say.  It's always, this coach said that, this GM said another thing.  The guys that are actually credible are the ones that break news, interview agents and have a general reputation around the league.  Nobody even likes this Steve Simmons guy, so why would anyone give him inside info or breaking news?  

Even the Toronto players hate this guy and have called him out publicly for his bs...

That's literally what a tabloid is.

The Toronto Sun is a tabloid, another subsidiary of Post Media (Vancouver Sun/The National Post). The National Post is currently written to target Trudeau, which will say a lot about where their biases are. They are factually not a neutral paper, regardless of where you stand politically with Trudeau.

These tabloids are nothing more than digital click baits, and thus, cannot be treated as a real source. It's like the National Enquirer.

3 minutes ago, Tank4Bedard said:

Pick 1, what do you prefer 

a) Aquilini sells the team, and the team gets re-located to say Houston 

b) Everything stays the same as it is right now with Aqua being the owner 

Aquilini doesn't have to sell the team, but he really has hired the wrong people. JR is the latest example.

Aquilini is an issue, but JR is not a problem that should be ignored. This guy is very bad for this organization long-term.