The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks getting calls on Thatcher Demko

Anyone have a sense of what Jarry would be asking for with a contract? Maybe a trade with Pitts could work but with a contract in place for us? It would likely have to be more than what Demko's is, but with some assets in return, the cap going up, etc., maybe it'd be worth it? 

4 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

so you didn't love the Arturs Irbe, Bob Essensa, Petr Skudra, Johan Hedberg, Sean Burke, Dan Cloutier and Co. ?

I liked Irbe.  I thought Auld was a great backup.  Essensa was actually pretty decent...went 18-12 in his one season.  But all in all...almost a decade of continuous stress.  McLean was the most stress-free goalie we've ever had in terms of knowing things would get done consistently in the net night in and night out.

20 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Anyone have a sense of what Jarry would be asking for with a contract? Maybe a trade with Pitts could work but with a contract in place for us? It would likely have to be more than what Demko's is, but with some assets in return, the cap going up, etc., maybe it'd be worth it? 

Probably North of $6m, maybe closer to $7m.

Trade with PIT would likely have to be something like Kapanen, DeSmith and Blomqvist (+ a pick/prospect?) for Demko (+ maybe Delia if they want/need the 3rd string/AHL depth). Cap hits are exactly the same ($5M)

They run with Jarry/Demko the rest of the year, but then they have an already under contract (and cheaper than ~$7m) Demko to replace the expiring Jarry for what likely remains of their closing window (he's got another 3 years after this one). Demko at $5x3 vs Jarry at ~$7x5+... less cap and less term commitment.

We in turn finish this/next year with DeSmith/Martin and allow Silovs and Blomqvist to duke it out in Abby moving forward while adding a pick/prospect to our "re-diggle".

We could certainly target Jarry as UFA as well, but I might roll the dice on Silovs/Blomqvist maturing in to starters in our 2+ year window here. Backfill with short term vets as required.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Trade with PIT would likely have to be something like Kapanen, DeSmith and Blomqvist (+ a pick/prospect?) for Demko (+ maybe Delia if they want/need the 3rd string/AHL depth). Cap hits are exactly the same ($5M)

They run with Jarry/Demko the rest of the year, but then they have an already under contract (and cheaper than ~$7m) Demko to replace the expiring Jarry for what likely remains of their closing window (he's got another 3 years after this one). Demko at $5x3 vs Jarry at ~$7x5+... less cap and less term commitment.

We in turn finish this/next year with DeSmith/Martin and allow Silovs and Blomqvist to duke it out in Abby moving forward while adding a pick/prospect to our "re-diggle".

We could certainly target Jarry as UFA as well, but I might roll the dice on Silovs/Blomqvist maturing in to starters in our 2+ year window here. Backfill with short term vets as required.

I like this plan. Jarry is really good, but Sil and Blom are much younger and could be a very good tandem for years to come for us. I'm in.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Which any competent GM would do.

These media fail to realize that players names get thrown around all the time and never get traded. Unless a player is truly untouchable a GM wouldn’t be doing their job to not listen.

Media making a story out of nothing once again.

Sure, I agree. 

There's a fine line between stifling all noise and speculation as it can generate actual interest, at the same time not coming out and backing Demko publicly is notable. They've been quiet, one could write it off as media noise but that doesn't necessarily mean that noise is nothing either. 

Even saying that the media is making something out of nothing is speculation, could very well end up being something there. We'll see. 

2 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Demko has been doggy doo this year but I have seen Grant Fuhr twice recover from season ending and career threatening injuries to regain top form.  The thing with Demko is he never had a track record and still doesn't.  He was looking like he was kind of trending in the right direction, then walked on water for a handful of games in the bubble playoffs, had one decent year, then one actually good year and now this.

Honestly I was open to selling him high after the Vegas series and just rolling with Markstrom going forward (as opposed to what actually happened and losing Markstrom for nothing).

As it stands I would prefer to hang on to Demko, having lived through the goalie graveyard that effectively lasted from the end of Kirk McLean to the beginning of Roberto Luongo.  But I would be willing to move him if someone offers the moon and the stars.

Grant Fuhr had a little help from this:

Animated GIF

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Honestly this makes too much sense, so clearly cannot happen.

Pittsburgh needs some back up for Jarry right now, and frankly maybe some help to stay in a playoff position.  Adding Demko gives them cost certainty going forward at what will likely be a lower cap hit than Jarry.  Futures don't matter to them yet as they still want to push a couple more years of contention before tearing it down.

We can absolutely target Jarry if he is interested in a bit of a hometown discount to play near friends and family.  He just got married so maybe thinking of having kids, so being close to his or his wife's family (Rochester) would have some appeal.  Like you said, it is fine if we don't as we are likely to not be good next year either.

Adding Blomqvist, and other assets like Pickering to take on the Kapanen salary as well would help set us up for the future too.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I saw the video interview yesterday ,

it was with E Friedman ,  they’re all on the beach lounging under umbrellas,.  It looks like EP was stalked by Elliott’s and woken up from a nap with a bad hangover..

It was a sloppy interview,  and I don’t think EP was aware what was coming.

you're right, but he better get prepared. he's front and centre in the fishbowl now. 

8 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

This was what was exactly said.

“I mean, you’ve seen him on the ice,” Pettersson said. “He’s a skillful player… I don’t know if  ’emotional’ is the right word. I mean, he wants to win so bad and sometimes he maybe gets… too ‘hot-headed’… if that’s the right word, but he cares a lot and he just wants to win.”

“We’ve had our differences, maybe in some games, but I mean, he’s a teammate that I respect and yeah, he’s someone I like to play hockey with,” Pettersson added. “Yeah, there’s a lot of speculation, obviously a lot, but he’s a teammate that I respect… it’s not an issue.”

Thanks......and huh.....that doesn't sound great.

I loved Miller's play last year but I hated the contract he signed.  It definitely had a WTF ring about it.

• Cheers 1

To LA:

Thatcher Demko

To Vancouver:

Brandt Clarke

Cal Petersen

We need a top 4 RHD badly.  We need quality over quantity.  Can't see how we get a top 4 RHD without moving a significant part.  We didn't get one with Horvat, so we need to absolutely get one if we trade Demko.  

LA needs a goalie badly.  They are in the playoffs.  They have Kopitar and Doughty looking to make a final push.  They have lots of RHD.  This trade makes too much sense so it probably doesn't happen...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

To LA:

Thatcher Demko

To Vancouver:

Brandt Clarke

Cal Petersen

We need a top 4 RHD badly.  We need quality over quantity.  Can't see how we get a top 4 RHD without moving a significant part.  We didn't get one with Horvat, so we need to absolutely get one if we trade Demko.  

LA needs a goalie badly.  They are in the playoffs.  They have Kopitar and Doughty looking to make a final push.  They have lots of RHD.  This trade makes too much sense so it probably doesn't happen...

Clarke is ear-marked to replace Doughty.  LA went into a rebuild to find their Doughty/Kopitar replacements.  Seems pretty illogical to now trade them away.

LA offered to trade Doughty/Kopitar and Quick as they headed for a rebuild.  They decided to stay on.  LA talks of being a lottery team to a playoff team to a contender.  Their president Luc Robitaille was talking about how this season they need to show that they can be a playoff team as last year they flew under the radar.  They are not yet at the contender stage.  There's still a lot of inconsistency as they try and integrate more youth.  

It's interesting how Canada thinks they want to go for it while the ones covering the team in LA talk of step by step.  Even their promotional clip talks of a long term plan.  McLellan was saying they are still at the start of their journey to contender status.   

Demko has had a terrible season and last summer Seravalli was quoting an executive stating that Demko's injuries are going to catch up to him.  With him now out beyond the projected 6 weeks - he probably 1st needs to show he can still play for teams to be willing to pay much.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, mll said:

Clarke is ear-marked to replace Doughty.  LA went into a rebuild to find their Doughty/Kopitar replacements.  Seems pretty illogical to now trade them away.

LA offered to trade Doughty/Kopitar and Quick as they headed for a rebuild.  They decided to stay on.  LA talks of being a lottery team to a playoff team to a contender.  Their president Luc Robitaille was talking about how this season they need to show that they can be a playoff team as last year they flew under the radar.  They are not yet at the contender stage.  There's still a lot of inconsistency as they try and integrate more youth.  

It's interesting how Canada thinks they want to go for it while the ones covering the team in LA talk of step by step.  Even their promotional clip talks of a long term plan.  McLellan was saying they are still at the start of their journey to contender status.   

Demko has had a terrible season and last summer Seravalli was quoting an executive stating that Demko's injuries are going to catch up to him.  With him now out beyond the projected 6 weeks - he probably 1st needs to show he can still play for teams to be willing to pay much.  

Thank you, LA isn't going to mortgage their future or their long term planning to try and milk a third cup out of Doughty, Kopitar, and Quick. They need to look beyond those three when considering their team building and they have been. 

Even if Demko could be a fit, and I think he could if he can show that he's capable of playing at a higher level than he has this season, I don't see them moving A grade pieces for him. They're at a stage where making the playoffs in itself is a success, they haven't jumped from rebuilding to contention, they're still closer to their rebuild phase than contention. 

The big things to consider are who steps in to fill some of the Kopitar void sooner than later, and whether Clarke can actually show development towards being their #1D replacement. Doughty and Kopitar leave some massive shoes to fill, they still do a lot for the Kings roster even before you consider their impact on the culture. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

To LA:

Thatcher Demko

To Vancouver:

Brandt Clarke

Cal Petersen

They can get a better return for Clarke, and sign a goalie in FA this offseason. 

8 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

IF Demko is healthy.

Ottawa :  Demko & Myers

Van: Zub (4.5 x 4 next season)   Talbot (UFA),   and a 1st & a prospect. 

Ottawa has 12 mil in capspace ?

I don’t think Ottawa cares about replacing their goalie. What Talbot’s injury does is take a goalie off the market  from teams that are fighting for a playoff spot or going all in for a Cup. Dem’s value increase by the sheer fact that the supply has shrunk a bit. 

• Cheers 1