The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think it'll end up being a sort of win-win. But right now I give the W to Lou.

Bo is leading his team, before the trade they were well out of a playoff spot, now Bo single handedly drags them (without Barzal) above the Pens and into the first Wild card spot.

Meanwhile Raty is having a horrid time in Abbortsford doing pretty much nothing, Beauvillier looks good, but that 1st is looking later and later...

Mayor of wrongville 

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They are 4-2-2 since BO arrived.  They were 25-22-5 before he arrived.  So there isn't a huge difference to be honest.  The Islanders play a structured defensive game and Sorokin keeps them in games.  Like tonight for example.  He stopped 44 shots.  BO didn't actually do much until the 3rd period, that is where he got his points.  

For sure, he has helped them.  There is no denying that.  The question is can he help them to make the playoffs?  With Barzal out I think the answer is no, but I could be wrong.  I think even with Barzal it was going to be 50/50 that they made the playoffs.  The teams behind them have lots of games in hand.  I think Buffalo has like 6 games in hand, Detroit 5, Pittsburgh 4.  So, it's still likely they miss the playoffs.

Even if they make the playoffs, I still wouldn't pay BO $8.5 million over 8 years.  That is Roope Hintz money.  He actually got $50k more than Roope, who is one of the best two way centres in the game and is two years younger than BO.

My hope is that BO plays well enough that he scares other teams in that conference to trade for Miller, Boeser or Garland. :ph34r: Some of those teams are at an age that winning a CUP this year might be their last kick at the can for a few years. 

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

My hope is that BO plays well enough that he scares other teams in that conference to trade for Miller, Boeser or Garland. :ph34r: Some of those teams are at an age that winning a CUP this year might be their last kick at the can for a few years. 

Pittsburgh could sure use Brock. They get him now and the have him for this playoff race and all next year. Then they can let him walk (with Sid and Gino and Letang all being done) and start their tear down rebuild. I think Brock’s contract length is ideal for them. 
we retain 1.5 per and get a pick/prospect. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Bo killing it for the Isles. What a great player. Good luck Bo, he will carry the Isles to their first Cup since 83. What a great trade Lou made. Probably wins GM of the decade just on that alone. ;)

Beavillier has just as many points in less games...just saying...that means Beavillier is killing it too. I'm not comparing the two's abilities, Bo has been a better player through his career but Beau has been playing very well for us. 

Horvat...4G, 2A, 6pts in 8 games

Beauvilier 4G, 2A 6pts in 7 games

The Isles are a aging team on the decline, likely miss the playoffs this year and have a closing compete window. Trading for Bo didn't really do much for them honestly. The trade itself is widely regarded as very fair for both sides.

Lou himself is on record saying the extension is for too much money and too long of a term but he did it anyway lol

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • RoughGame 1

Just now, Harold Drunken said:

Beavillier has just as many points in less games...just saying...that means Beavillier is killing it too. 

I know you're a Benning sympathizer.... but the Isles are a aging team on the decline, likely miss the playoffs this year and have a closing compete window. Trading for Bo didn't really do much for them honestly. 

Actually you're totally wrong lol. I'm not a Benning sympathizer at all. I understood what he was trying to do and like most GM's he took a lot of warranted, and unwarranted slack. However, he also screwed up majorly in the end. I don't get attached to GM's, or coaches for that matter like some people. I just observe what has transgressed. 

I just felt like saying a bunch of dumb stuff like Alf does after reading through a bunch of recent posts. :frantic::lol:

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Actually you're totally wrong lol. I'm not a Benning sympathizer at all. I understood what he was trying to do and like most GM's he took a lot of warranted, and unwarranted slack. However, he also screwed up majorly in the end. I don't get attached to GM's, or coaches for that matter like some people. I just observe what has transgressed. 

I just felt like saying a bunch of dumb stuff like Alf does after reading through a bunch of recent posts. :frantic::lol:

Yikes lol, that goes to show how jaded I am from CDC because I actually believed you meant that lol. The bar is pretty low I guess..................

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Beavillier has just as many points in less games...just saying...that means Beavillier is killing it too. I'm not comparing the two's abilities, Bo has been a better player through his career but Beau has been playing very well for us. 

The Isles are a aging team on the decline, likely miss the playoffs this year and have a closing compete window. Trading for Bo didn't really do much for them honestly. The trade itself is widely regarded as very fair for both sides.

Lou himself is on record saying the extension is for too much money and too long of a term but he did it anyway lol

NYI currently holds the 1st wild card spot in the East.  So it’s still possible they make the playoffs.

• Cheers 1

The bashing is because certain posters and people still believe he was worth this contract and the Canucks messed up losing them. That’s why people are analyzing the trade, the cap hit and everything. The Canucks didn’t make a mistake letting him go. It was worth it for both sides to move on. 

• Cheers 2

47 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

The Isles are a aging team on the decline, likely miss the playoffs this year

27 minutes ago, BPA said:

NYI currently holds the 1st wild card spot in the East.  So it’s still possible they make the playoffs.

Many factors come into it including the fact they have played 4 more games than some of the teams around them. This is moneypucks playoff odds chart that was updated this morning...

25.4% odds to make it

Screenshot_20230221_085311_Chrome.jpg

Just now, UFCanuck said:

Caught an islanders playoff game a few years back. Beau is was electric in the playoffs. 

He is a bit of cult hero on the islands due to his clutch performances in the playoffs. Hasn't been able to put it together consistently yet. Here's hoping a trade kick starts him.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Islanders and Penguins are battling for a playoff spot. NYI recently beat PIT again this season and the Penguins could possibly miss the playoffs. Crazy to think Crosby and Malkin missing the postseason. 

The Penguins need to find a way to beat Horvat and the Islanders.

Boeser to PIT for ??

Might see Horvat and Boeser going head-to-head for that last playoff spot. 

32 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Islanders and Penguins are battling for a playoff spot. NYI recently beat PIT again this season and the Penguins could possibly miss the playoffs. Crazy to think Crosby and Malkin missing the postseason. 

The Penguins need to find a way to beat Horvat and the Islanders.

Boeser to PIT for ??

Might see Horvat and Boeser going head-to-head for that last playoff spot. 

Should be Miller to Pits for 1 ++

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Haha, sorry I was channeling my inner Alf and just got on a roll. :frantic::towel:

I find this bashing Bo to be just about the dumbest thing I've ever seen though. We're talking about an honest, super amiable and hard working family man who gave his best for the team for his entire career up to now. I personally wish him all the best.

I agree.  Same applies to Miller, who is actually currently a member of the Vancouver Canucks hockey club.  Last I checked he was also an honest, hardworking family man with kids who has given his best to this hockey club...

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Haha, sorry I was channeling my inner Alf and just got on a roll. :frantic::towel:

I find this bashing Bo to be just about the dumbest thing I've ever seen though. We're talking about an honest, super amiable and hard working family man who gave his best for the team for his entire career up to now. I personally wish him all the best.

Majority here aren't bashing Bo the person.  In fact many here are fans of Bo but many don't think he was worth the contract that NYI gave him especially after giving up the assets that they did.  Seems a few of you have this knee jerk reaction anytime we comment on his value on this board.  

Bo did well for himself and his family and I am happy for him and wish him well.  I would never expect any player no matter how many years they've been with the team to give a home town discount.  Its a business after all.  No player should be criticized for that.

• Cheers 2