The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

14 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

It's not entirely clear if this was about the franchise's struggles or it was about us as fans, but everyone around the league (including Isles fans) have no idea why he threw shade at us for no reason.  Everyone gets why we'd be upset.

I think it’s pretty clear. He wasn’t asked how his time with the Islanders organization has been. He wasn’t asked about his teammates. He was asked about the fans, and he went out of his way to throw shade at the Vancouver fans. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

he didn't do anything to deserve a massive raise nor did he do anything to deserve a paycut offer for his prime years when they just signed boeser to 3x 6.75 qualifying offer or not. at the very least should have started with 5.5 what he's making instead of telling him to take a paycut.. RNH was massively overpaid on his previous contract hence the paycut.. and his stats is massively inflated by mcdavid and drasital.. anyone with skill will put up good numbers with those 2 either on powerplay.. or 5v5 with draistal.. horvat have superior goals throughout his career than danault and trochek. in this league they pay you for goals more so than points not much more but still more goals are worth more than points. again not saying horvat is worth anything over 7 before the season started. but negotiation should have started at the beginning of summer at 5.5 and work its way around 6.5.. the 5.125 offer came in september.. not really early on in the summer. there was literally no negotiation in april may july august.

Trochek was a 30-goal scorer in Florida.  He even got 75 points.  Horvat in his career year won't even hit 75 points.  

How was RNH overpaid?  He was the 1st overall pick in the draft and was putting up 0.73 PPG BEFORE McDavid and Draisaitl even arrived.  A 6x6 contract for those numbers at 22 years old was totally fair.  He was their 1C at the time.  He took a hometown discount to stay in Edmonton for his last contract.  Steal of a deal for Edmonton now with RNH now being a 100-point player...

Horvat is a maximum $6 million player.  50-55 points playing as a 2C/3C tweener who's great on faceoffs but average defensively.  As for Boeser, that was Benning's contract initially and JR wanted to lower the AAV in order not to lose him for nothing.  They didn't want to qualify him at $7.5 million.

At the end of the day JR used the RNH contract as a comparable for Horvat.  You can disagree with that if you want but that is what they used in the initial negotiations...

Report: Canucks used Nugent-Hopkins contract as a comparable in Bo Horvat negotiations - CanucksArmy

Frank Seravalli: “There’s a chance, maybe, that [the Horvat contract AAV] starts with a 6, but it’d have to be a high 6. I tend to agree with you, on the open market, that it’s a number that begins with a 7, probably all day long given the complete nature of Bo’s game. But that’s not where the Canucks started, and I mentioned with you guys a few weeks ago that the number the Canucks originally threw at the Horvat camp — and I don’t know how much has changed since or what has changed — was a number that began with a 5. And I think the comparison that they made, contract-wise, was Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and the deal that he signed with the Edmonton Oilers: 8 times 5.125 for a total of $41 million.”

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Bo's living in people's heads ... I can tell you that for free.

Yep the one we thank god got away... like a crazy ex girlfriend that is losing her looks but getting more madwack and higher maintenance by the day.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

We did move on. And thank God we did. Allvin made a great trade dumping Horfat Wallet and getting a great younger #2 D, and better (and younger) new Beau, and a great young and soon to be better centre in Raty. Three pieces all better than old Elephant Bo. And we don’t get stuck with a gross contract for a 3C. Big win for Allvin. 

Such a bitter Canucks fan. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

43 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

You use shit the bed a lot, projecting? 

Actually I’ve only used that with Bo,.  And he will.

He will revert back to the normal next season,.

He has since he left here..   that’s called shitting the bed.

I don’t see him being more than a .6 - .7 ppg player next season,.  Perhaps worse.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Haha 1

The commentator asked how does this rank in terms of playoff pushes. Y’all go review the question first and use your brain. 

horvats answer was it was a lot better than Vancouver that’s for sure. The “fan” part was not even the main question. 

it baffles me how stupid people have become. No wonder we are so hated as a fan base. Apparently a lot of y’all are just brainless. Lol

Edited by ktcy2
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Actually I’ve only used that with Bo,.  And he will.

He will revert back to the normal next season,.

He has since he left here..   that’s called shitting the bed.

I don’t see him being more than a .6 - .7 ppg player next season,.  Perhaps worse.

That’s not shitting the bed at all, that is a quality top 6 forward. You just don’t like him. And that’s ok. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, ktcy2 said:

The commentator asked how does this rank in terms of playoff pushes. Y’all go review the question first and use your brain. 

horvats answer was it was a lot better than Vancouver that’s for sure. The “fan” part was not even the main question. 

it baffles me how stupid people have become. No wonder we are so hated as a fan base. Apparently a lot of y’all are just brainless. Lol

100% this. 

• Cheers 2

On 4/8/2023 at 8:15 PM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Oh man… …I gotta say - I LOVE this!

For one, I love it when players play the heel. I tend to think players almost need to be a bit ‘dickish’ to have real success in the playoffs. So many mock and degrade guys like Keith, Kane, Doughty, and Marchand…But those guys win. Nice guys like Naslund and the twins too often don’t. I wish I would have seen more spine from Bo when he was here, I might have been a bigger fan.

But mainly, the best part, was watching 90% of the posters respond by proving him right. Taking shots at him, while we whimper to the finish line of another losing season… Seriously? What was good about captaining the Vancouver Canucks? The constant losing? The ridiculous mismanagement? The worst COVID outbreak of any major sports team? The microscope of the ridiculous Vancouver media? Or the legions of entitled fans who don’t seem to have any concept of reality? For Bo Horvat, being a Vancouver Canuck was not a good thing at all. His new team has embraced him, and paid him substantially more than we were willing to - all the power to him to move on and take some pot shots at those wasted years.

But still, all along I’ve said we can’t keep both Miller and Horvat, and at equal dollars Miller is the superior player. At $500K less, it’s a no-brainer. And the best part is, Miller is a natural ‘dick’ - he doesn’t have to force it like Bo. He’s a winner - we just need to improve other parts of the team to help him make a difference when it truly matters.

I have no ill-will to Bo at all. It was time for him to go, and he peaked at just the right time for the team to get max value for him. Good on him for getting a spine and taking shots for the good of his new team. I hope they do well - and even if they don’t, it was excellent entertainment. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, McBackup said:

I think it’s pretty clear. He wasn’t asked how his time with the Islanders organization has been. He wasn’t asked about his teammates. He was asked about the fans, and he went out of his way to throw shade at the Vancouver fans. 

6 minutes ago, ktcy2 said:

These competing responses show just how unclear his answer was.  How does the playoff push rank?  "Better than Vancouver."  Hmm... okay... weird way to respond but technically correct...  How is the fan atmosphere?  "Better than Vancouver."  Oh... okay.  That's a dig at the fans.  Guess he wants to turn heel.

It's a vague answer that looks odd in one way, and pretty bad the other way.  None of that reflects on his ability as a player, which some people (looking at you Alf) are dead wrong about.  He is a solid 2C who overachieved the first half, got rewarded for it, but has underachieving the back half.  He had no reason to accept a discount - they chose to let him go.

Honestly, who cares. Horvat is an Islander.

What he does and says should really make little to no difference. 

When he was here, he was a solid player and a great captain who persevered the Benning era. Clearly this year heralded the end of his time here, somewhat abruptly, which really wasn't the best look. 

What’s done is done. This summer awaits and this team could be reshaped significantly. Ever forward. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, McBackup said:

happy bart simpson GIF

This is one of the most smoothbrained takes I've read here. 

"2 more regular season games, one more here at UBS Arena. How does this rank for you in playoff pushes, the excitement of this building, and the fans involvement?" The playoff part was peripheral to the question being asked. She is directly asking him about the fans involvement, not the playoff push. 

Not only can you not even follow your own advice and "review the question", but you're one of those mouthbreathing simpletons who thinks everybody but you is a bad fan. It's projection on another level. 

Since you are such a superior ubermensch, please leave the rest of us unwashed masses to cheer for this team while you go pick a new team worthy of your stunning intellectual prowess. The shining beacon of your preeminence is blinding to us, and you don't deserve to be sullied by being associated with a fanbase as terrible as this one. 

We Did It Mic Drop GIF

• Haha 2
  • Wat 1

21 minutes ago, ktcy2 said:

The question posed by the interviewer was not even asked as any dig on Vancouver, but rather his playoff experience.

Horvat brought up Vancouver,  and said it’s a lot better than in Vancouver.

He didn’t need to say that.

He could have said this is a very exciting time for me and my new team mates, But we have 2 games left and work to do.

coming to an arena near you next season.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Vintage 4
  • RoughGame 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Honestly, who cares. Horvat is an Islander.

What he does and says should really make little to no difference. 

When he was here, he was a solid player and a great captain who persevered the Benning era. Clearly this year heralded the end of his time here, somewhat abruptly, which really wasn't the best look. 

What’s done is done. This summer awaits and this team could be reshaped significantly. Ever forward. 

Yeah but it's part of the fun. We don't have any real hockey to look forward to aside from watching other teams lose. Hockey is an entertainment product. I don't have an issue with people taking umbrage with Horvat's comments. I'm not a wrestling fan, but its really no different than a wrestler turning heel. Aside from our pitiful draft odds and the complete enigma of this offseason's moves, we have nothing to really get excited about hockey-wise aside from cheering for the downfall of others. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Trochek was a 30-goal scorer in Florida.  He even got 75 points.  Horvat in his career year won't even hit 75 points.  

How was RNH overpaid?  He was the 1st overall pick in the draft and was putting up 0.73 PPG BEFORE McDavid and Draisaitl even arrived.  A 6x6 contract for those numbers at 22 years old was totally fair.  He was their 1C at the time.  He took a hometown discount to stay in Edmonton for his last contract.  Steal of a deal for Edmonton now with RNH now being a 100-point player...

Horvat is a maximum $6 million player.  50-55 points playing as a 2C/3C tweener who's great on faceoffs but average defensively.  As for Boeser, that was Benning's contract initially and JR wanted to lower the AAV in order not to lose him for nothing.  They didn't want to qualify him at $7.5 million.

At the end of the day JR used the RNH contract as a comparable for Horvat.  You can disagree with that if you want but that is what they used in the initial negotiations...

Report: Canucks used Nugent-Hopkins contract as a comparable in Bo Horvat negotiations - CanucksArmy

Frank Seravalli: “There’s a chance, maybe, that [the Horvat contract AAV] starts with a 6, but it’d have to be a high 6. I tend to agree with you, on the open market, that it’s a number that begins with a 7, probably all day long given the complete nature of Bo’s game. But that’s not where the Canucks started, and I mentioned with you guys a few weeks ago that the number the Canucks originally threw at the Horvat camp — and I don’t know how much has changed since or what has changed — was a number that began with a 5. And I think the comparison that they made, contract-wise, was Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and the deal that he signed with the Edmonton Oilers: 8 times 5.125 for a total of $41 million.”

coz when he signed his contract the cap was only 69 mil he's taking a little less than 10% of the total cap.. that's like Miller's money but he was only producing 3/4 the points he did not live up to his contract.. he literally didn't hit a ppg throughout the entirety of the contract but paid like a ppg guy when it was signed 6mil at the time when he signed are like top players ppg players money. trocheck hit 30 goal once. and been no where close since even if u factor in shortened season. 

Edited by wai_lai416