The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

1 minute ago, IRR said:

I was just going to say the exact same thing as you. Some people on here…..either they need to step away from here and go have a drink or they need to stop drinking! Not sure which, but my god this place is ridiculous!! 

Eh, it's one person in particular on here that has been speaking nonsense all day long.  I would say who, but I think we all know lol

• Haha 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, BarnBurner said:

I'm not saying it's a major win, but it sure could be worse. 

What I was trying to point out is that Stawns keeps saying the 4.1 mil contract is an anchor,

but it's only until the end of next season. 

And at least, let's give the guy a chance.

Isn't the point to clear cap space?  They could have used it at the tdl to take other teams garbage and stock up on picks or get another prospect.  Now they can't and they won't be able to use it at the draft either, or UFA.......for a winger.  If it were a dman, I'd be fine with it

Just now, HKSR said:

Exactly.  We retain 50% on him, and he becomes a $2M middle 6 forward with speed and defensive awareness.  You're right, it's probably a 2nd round pick at that point.  This is worst case scenario.

Best case scenario, he finds his scoring touch again and becomes a consistent 20 goal winger.

Yup.  That would be excellent.  Having him in the deal is a win for sure. 

• There it is 1

14 minutes ago, Isam said:

I would agree with not awarding the c until next season.

Now it is time to get something for Boeser. 

Absolutely 

And see if Myers can be traded. Garland too. Not a fan of trading a great example of a veteran like Schenn though. 

Dan Murphy? Traded. 
Tiny Drancer? Traded. 
Give Fin another chance to earn a spot going forward but remind him that the future remains unwritten and that Grizz is eyeing a comeback. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Haha 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

The pick is top 12 protected because even the 11th pick can still win the lottery.  That's why they did it that way.  Imagine trading the 11th pick in the draft for a rental and then the other team wins the lottery with that pick and drafts Bedard?  Lou would need secret service protection if that happened.  Any GM would have made the pick top 12 protected...

Unless you were JB or MG lol

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Like I said a couple times that thus was the best time to trade Bo.

Now other teams will want to get better.  

Miller might just be tradable.

Schenn, Brock and Myers also.  

Teams will want players going into tdl and we have some.

we need to hope Bo lights it up with the Isles

if he tanks, he might take all of our other trades with him

Just now, stawns said:

Isn't the point to clear cap space?  They could have used it at the tdl to take other teams garbage and stock up on picks or get another prospect.  Now they can't and they won't be able to use it at the draft either, or UFA.......for a winger.  If it were a dman, I'd be fine with it

Come on man, that's part of the deal. They had to take some cap back. 

It's only until the end of next year. 

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Armed with a 1st round pick, who would we target?  It does open up a lot more options I would think.

I looked around but nobody stood out.  It would have to be a non playoff team similar to Montreal trading Romanov.  Just not sure who that team would be and what player we would target...

1 hour ago, Mustard Tiger said:

The hypothetical train can go on forever. This would be a neat one though lmao 

Sadly its quite a realistic possibility based on where the Isles sit and fewer games remaining plus some very tough games ahead they cannot afford to lose. They need to go on a heater to really have a good chance of making playoffs 

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

I looked around but nobody stood out.  It would have to be a non playoff team similar to Montreal trading Romanov.  Just not sure who that team would be and what player we would target...

Doesn't have to be a non playoff team.  Could be a playoff team with a young RHD waiting in the wings.  It's a decent 1st rounder ... not like it's a late one.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Absolutely 

And see if Myers can be traded. Garland too. Not a fan of trading a great example of a veteran like Schenn though. 

I agree. Wait, even until the end of next season to hand out the "C", and that's not my idea. 

But don't rush it. And if possible, keep Schenn. 

People complain he's slow, and so on, but he's the type of leader presence any great team needs. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Absolutely 

Example vet on arguably the best contract based on performance this season in the league not on a rookie deal. This guy was waiver wire fodder not that long ago now there’s talk he could fetch a 2nd rounder if not more. Asset management is crucial for this team if they want to climb out of the league basement and guys like Schenn need to be dealt while their value is as high as his is. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • elephant 1

12 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I find it amusing you think that a contact sport like Hockey has no aggression in it anymore, like it somehow magically disappeared. I have seen enough Canuck players alone, get roughed up, to know it still exists. 

I have also seen a Canuck be aggressive and not once do I remember seeing the opposition let it go, ever.

We seem to be in the minority to think its OK just to skate away as our team mate is getting roughed up. 

Some how I don't think that helps out in the "team building" department what so ever, call me crazy. :lol:

I didn't say it didn't have any aggression in it, I said the game has changed but go off I guess? :unsure:

Enforcers don't exist, players don't fight as much, hits that were once permitted officially aren't allowed anymore. The NHL is more likely to hand out suspensions even if what the disciplinary whatever is inconsistent regarding punishment. Players have to be able to do more than throw hands. As a whole the NHL game doesn't remotely resemble what it used to be as far as aggression and toughness go. 

Pushback looks different, you see more scrums and sometimes guys will jump in. But jumping in doesn't always look like a fight though, oftentimes it's just players beaking off. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • There it is 1

2 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

I agree. Wait, even until the end of next season to hand out the "C", and that's not my idea. 

But don't rush it. And if possible, keep Schenn. 

People complain he's slow, and so on, but he's the type of leader presence any great team needs. 

I think schenn is a prime candidate to trade and then resign in the summer.  Give him a chance at a cup with the understanding there's a contract waiting for him if he wants it

• Cheers 3
  • Wat 1