The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

Just now, Viper007 said:

At first glance, I find this trade underwhelming.  I will reserve first judgement on this trade till I see what Meier gets at the TDL.  This trade might've set the market, and if so, it might be OK.  If SJ gets better for Meier, then I will view this trade as bad.

We can't really say this trade is good or bad until the we either trade the draft pick that we got or use it.

• There it is 1

3 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

At first glance, I find this trade underwhelming.  I will reserve first judgement on this trade till I see what Meier gets at the TDL.  This trade might've set the market, and if so, it might be OK.  If SJ gets better for Meier, then I will view this trade as bad.

Meier is younger and an RFA. He should get more.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

5 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

I have three big issues with it.

1. We took a lower return on our biggest asset by moving Bo early instead of waiting for the market to shake out. Slightly less risky, but could have potentially been a much smaller return than what we could have gotten had we waited and driven the price up.

2. We did not get any surefire, high impact assets back. We got a bag of magic beans. The magic beans could very well turn out to be extremely profitable, but they’re still magic beans, and I would have liked to see some more magical beans coming back if thats what we’re targeting.

3. For all the talk of creating cap space, we took on the cap hit of yet another underperforming winger. I understand we may be moving some of our own out quickly enough anyway, but it still is counterintuitive to bring in AB.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Raty is pretty exciting.  Good size. 

What a yo-yo from projected top 3 to the 2nd round… only to climb back up again once he switched teams in Liiga.  

He’s a young 20 and has put up some decent but not outstanding stats in the AHL.  Really, I hope we let him cook in Abby and refine a good 2 way game.

At least Petey and Miller (I’m assuming he’s undisputed 2C now) will help insulate him from being thrust into the limelight too quickly. 

• Cheers 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

23 minutes ago, Qwags said:

It's funny you mention that, because I can't help but think that this deal from the Islanders perspective is very Benning-esque. Mortgaging the future for short term gain, even when outside the playoffs? Textbook Benning move.

This is probably a worse trade because we are clearly at the bottom of the standings. I honestly think CDC could've done a better job fielding phone offers.

• Haha 1

How would people feel about them trading the Isles pick for Lafreniere?

I could see that being a move they make. Similar to the trade the Habs made for Dach.

I think that’s the timeline they’re looking at. They likely want 20-23 year old players.

Edited by DeNiro

Just now, DeNiro said:

I could see that being a move they make. Similar to the trade the Isles mad for Dach.

I think that’s the timeline they’re looking at. They likely want 20-23 year old players.

Keep it, I want Reinbacher. 

Lets start drafting and developing RHD's now. 

Just now, J-23 said:

Keep it, I want Reinbacher. 

Lets start drafting and developing RHD's now. 

I don’t think they have the patience to wait 5 years though.

I see them trading that pick. It should be for a D man but they’ll trade it for a winger.

Theyre really high on Lafreniere.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

21 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Meier is younger and an RFA. He should get more.

That is true, but Bo is the better player right now.  Meier could be a rental also for some team.  I guess it'll depend if he has an extension with his trade.

13 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Raty is pretty exciting.  Good size. 

What a yo-yo from projected top 3 to the 2nd round… only to climb back up again once he switched teams in Liiga.  

He’s a young 20 and has put up some decent but not outstanding stats in the AHL.  Really, I hope we let him cook in Abby and refine a good 2 way game.

At least Petey and Miller (I’m assuming he’s undisputed 2C now) will help insulate him from being thrust into the limelight too quickly. 

He would probably be back in the 1st round in a re-draft?

Our 2C and 3C will be determined by the end of the draft, I assume. Unless we get Michkov, there is no way Canucks don't pick one of the centres. We are going to have 3 good centres, and two of them are defensive minded (Petey and Ratty)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I could see that being a move they make. Similar to the trade the Habs made for Dach.

I'd do that deal all day but I feel the Rangers would want more and rightfully so

Heck if I was a Rangers fan I'd be pissed. 

I agree tho I don't see them making that pick, I see them trading it for immediate help

Edited by Outsiders

1 minute ago, J-23 said:

He would probably be back in the 1st round in a re-draft?

Our 2C and 3C will be determined by the end of the draft, I assume. Unless we get Michkov, there is no way Canucks don't pick one of the centres. We are going to have 3 good centres, and two of them are defensive minded (Petey and Ratty)

Yep, was just having a similar thought. With the volume of C’s at the top of the draft + Raty with some luck we could find ourselves with that as a position of strength pretty quickly.

Hopefully best d man available with the Islanders pick if it’s this year. 

• Huggy Bear 1

Just now, Outsiders said:

I'd do that deal all day but I feel the Rangers would want more and rightfully so

Dach is the best comparable and he went for a 13th overall pick.

If the Rangers are ready to move on they could use that pick to acquire another piece.

His stock is continuing to fall.

2 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Allvin did well in his press conference I have to say but got fairly easy questions. Surprised no one asked him about Miller at all.

Sounds like we'll see Podz and Hogs called up and most likely they'll pick a captain in the next few days and it'll be Petey.

I hope not, that would be a mistake.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t think they have the patience to wait 5 years though.

I see them trading that pick. It should be for a D man but they’ll trade it for a winger.

Theyre really high on Lafreniere.

I doubt the Rages give up on Laf for the 13th pick or later, if they didn't give him up for Bo.

They can always sign a RHD and still draft and develop. Still have to look towards the future, regardless of when you want to compete.

In this draft, never know who will fall. Wish the season ended today :lol:. Excited for the future though.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, McBackup said:

I have three big issues with it.

1. We took a lower return on our biggest asset by moving Bo early instead of waiting for the market to shake out. Slightly less risky, but could have potentially been a much smaller return than what we could have gotten had we waited and driven the price up.

2. We did not get any surefire, high impact assets back. We got a bag of magic beans. The magic beans could very well turn out to be extremely profitable, but they’re still magic beans, and I would have liked to see some more magical beans coming back if thats what we’re targeting.

3. For all the talk of creating cap space, we took on the cap hit of yet another underperforming winger. I understand we may be moving some of our own out quickly enough anyway, but it still is counterintuitive to bring in AB.

Bo wasn’t going to ultimately be useful during our contention window, he would be old on a poorly aging contract when we’re ready to compete. 

Raty on the other hand will likely be ready for some solid nhl time within 2 years. 

We might be able to score some deals in the UFA pool this year too, with so many teams capped out. I know it’s not a lot, but this move opened up 1.5m of cap. If they pull off a couple more of those types or cap moves, we could potentially rebuild our penalty kill. Or take an “expensive” rd from another team that’s looking to shed cap. 

exciting times. I’m very happy that they went this direction instead of loading up on Sbisas. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, J-23 said:

I hope not, that would be a mistake.

I doubt the Rages give up on Laf for the 13th pick or later, if they didn't give him up for Bo.

They can always sign a RHD and still draft and develop. Still have to look towards the future, regardless of when you want to compete.

In this draft, never know who will fall. Wish the season ended today :lol:. Excited for the future though.

The 13th pick gives them a future asset that they can swap to help them continue competing.

The longer they hold onto Lafreniere the more his stock drops. At some point they just have to say it’s not working there. He’s getting buried by how deep they are.

2 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Yep, was just having a similar thought. With the volume of C’s at the top of the draft + Raty with some luck we could find ourselves with that as a position of strength pretty quickly.

Hopefully best d man available with the Islanders pick if it’s this year. 

That would knock out the center question marks at 2C and 3C.

The biggest concern is RHD now, they have to get real creative there. No idea how they pull it off, but I'll try to be optimistic about it. 

• Cheers 1