The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

4 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Sure, also 18 in 68 games (21 goal pace) & 15 in 47 (26 goal pace) plus a 25 goal pace in the playoffs.

I'm not saying he's a sure thing just that he's shown ability to score on top of providing elements we need.

Maybe it won't work but I don't hate the gamble given the term on his deal.

We already have perennial 20+ goal scoring threat Garland though so....:bigblush:

Just now, BertaNuck said:

If Bo signs for a crazy amount in New York I will be ok with this trade and call it a win 

if he signs a reasonable contract I will pay my own money for that Damn plane with the banner that says fire JR and PA

He could also get traded further if they can't agree on a deal.  

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Bo wasn't the problem though. While what you said is true, it's also not his fault to be clear. He was a the 1 bright spot through some very dark years. And the moments he got in the playoffs he played amazing.

All the best to Bo, it really sucks we weren't better when he was here.

Correct. He wasn't the problem but he was a good trade chip to kick off a return and turn the page.  He also accomplished zip as a Captain and the team needs to have new leadership in the room. I have no problem with this trade.

• Cheers 1

Two key items:

- if Raty is a better fit with EP (Bo was not a good complimentary 2C). If Raty is as advertised, in that he has a solid 200 foot game with good defensive skills, then he will be great for the team.

- where the Isles pick lands - either middle 1st this year or lotterery next year will be a win

This is a good start and I expect better results now that Bo is gone with a new leadership group taking over

1 hour ago, Petey40 said:

Maybe it wasn’t there? No chance they were getting Dobson. So maybe they got the best deal that was on the table. Not like contending teams are gonna trade their top 4 young Dmen.

In isolation, the trade is decent. Im looking at the management of the situation from the end of last season to now, and how the team seemingly (now clearly) prioritized Miller over Horvat during the summer, which makes no sense, especially considering that both players contracts expire at the same time. A defenseman, could have come back in the deal, obviously not Dobson. 

It’s rare for teams to trade D men especially young RHD for a forward on an expiring contract. I know what Canucks fans expected but most of the time their expectations are irrational. I know Benning isn’t the GM lol I was making fun of this fan base and using an example.

Agreed. For me, it’s looking at how management approached the off-season. They could have done a far better job, but seem aimless in whatever they’re trying to accomplish. 

There was talk of Brandon Carlo for Bo, would that have been preferred in your eyes? Cause he’s one hit away from retiring due to concussions. 

Yeah, Carlo wouldn’t have made sense, for the exact reason you state. Damaged goods. 

In my eyes, the preferable move would have been to trade Miller for a similar package to what they got for Bo, and re-sign Bo to a new deal. He’s been a great captain, patiently dealing with Benning’s era of total incompetence (which spent seasons of Horvat’s talent to no avail) and the new management’s seeming lack of plan up to now. 

Oh well. The die is cast. This team is going under the knife big time hopefully. I just hope the surgeons don’t drink too much before surgery. 

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

It's the AB and protected pick that makes this a bad deal.  I doubt anyone is unhappy with Raty

Beauvillier is a good player. Only 25 and has already has 7 years of experience. His best hockey is ahead of him.
We had to offer a protected pick to move Horvat. No one was relinquishing the chance to win the lottery and get Bedard.
I'd way rather get a protected pick from the Islanders, and draft 13-17th overall, than get a pick from New Jersey, Boston, or Dallas and pick 30-32nd.
Honestly, I want to see the Islanders miss the playoffs... pick 12th... Horvat doesn't want to resign... bomb next year and we get a top 5 pick in a defense-rich draft.
As a Canucks and Devils' fan, I would love to see that.

Edited by Nave
  • There it is 1

Just now, Harold Drunken said:

Stawns there's literally nothing anyone can do about that? You're just stating the obvious....thats completely out of everyone's control... What is your point? You don't Iike a 1st round pick because you think there's a chance the team will be good and it won't be a top 5 pick? Are you high?

My point is, don't take that deal........at least not 5 weeks before the deadline.  Give it a couple of weeks and see how lou feels then or find another deal.

At least go for lottery or 5 protected........something.

9 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

So you think Bo on an expiring deal was worth 2 mid round firsts, 2 high end prospects and 2 roster players? 

Goddamn dude. 

Some people on here are insane…..toxic, negative, never happy, always b******* & complaining…..and even worse, it’s all because they think they know everything / know better than everyone including the professionals! I can barley come on here anymore. 

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Horvat wanted 8 million which means he doesn't want to be a Canuck. RNH signed for 5.1 million because he wants to be an Oiler. 

RNH signed two years ago.  He got term.  He is two years older than Bo.

Bo has only two less goals than RNH although he has played one less season.

RNH has played most of the time on the PP with McDavid since 97 came into the league.

Bo is more physical then RNH.  Bo is quite a bit better in the faceoff circle.

RNH opted to sign to stay with a team which has the best player in the league and which is widely expected to sometime win a Cup... he is the most obvious example of a player who put loyalty over $... most don't.

To suggest that Bo would take a huge discount and sign for $5.1 million, i.e. $100,000 less than he is being paid in 2022/2023 is quite simply... ridiculous.

Finally... who says Bo was asking for $8 million... lets see what Lou pays him.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*

6 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Horvat wanted 8 million which means he doesn't want to be a Canuck. RNH signed for 5.1 million because he wants to be an Oiler. 

The Canucks have drifted their way into a TO structure with high salaries and a lack of depth.  The Canucks of yesteryears had Kesler, Burrows, the Sedins and other top players that all left money on the table.  So much so that the NHLPA was angry for public comments made at the time by the players (i.e. not signing for top dollar if you want a good team).

Kuz has just led the way with this again......hopefully team culture starts changing.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, Nave said:

Beauvillier is a good player. Only 25 and has already has 7 years of experience. His best hockey is ahead of him.
We had to offer a protected pick to move Horvat. No one was relinquishing the chance to win the lottery and get Bedard.
I'd way rather get a protected pick from the Islanders, and draft 13-17th overall, than get a pick from New Jersey, Boston, or Dallas and pick 30-32nd.
Honestly, I want to see the Islanders miss the playoffs... pick 12th... Horvat doesn't want to resign... bomb next year and we get a top 5 pick in a defense-rich draft.
As a Canucks and Devils' fan, I would love to see that.

13th. Top 12 protected

Just now, KyGuy123 said:

We have actually taken a direction and it’s clear, Canucks fans should be happy that it looks like we are rebuilding and this trade shows that. Management can talk all they want but this move is a rebuilding move. 

Can’t please everyone!

Playoff teams don't typically remove from their playing roster unless a cap dump.  Trying to target 2 roster players was never all that realistic.  Draft picks can be flipped further - eg Romanov or Dach last draft or even the Hamonic/Dermott domino trade.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

A top 12 protected pick, a small fwd who doesn't score at $4.1m and a player who dropped from a top 3 spot to the security and round........you think that's a good deal for a guy who is on pace for 50 goals?

You are totally accurate stawns but do you see him as a 50 goal guy? He’s having a career year and hats off to him. Timing is everything. Is Bo maybe more realistically a 30 goal 60-70 point guy moving forward? Someone is going to pay him around 8M a year for 7 years. Will he be worth it?

We have a history with Bo but people crapping all over the trade when 1 piece is unknown, another is relatively unknown and the 3rd looks serviceable are perhaps suffering from recency bias.

Let’s hope there are more trades that can help put this one in context.

Hopefully PA is better drafting for us than he was for the Pens.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

If Miller gets the C I'm going to vomit. 

No way he should have the C. I think even Miller fans would agree with that. When he’s on he’s got the qualities but if it’s not going well he’s the worst guy to be a captain 

• Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1