The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aatu Räty | #27 | C

DSVII

I kind of wish they let him cook in abby and actually get comfortable on a team since this will be his 4th team this season to play on now.

because he wasn’t playing well or even settled in yet 

but they’ve got a plan for him so hope it works out 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, eeeeergh said:

They wanna get a good look at him, and also want to show him that they believe in him and support him.

Good move getting him up here in my opinion. Nobody expects anything from him at his age and development stage, so if he plays halfway decent and shows his defensive chops, everyone will be excited and say nice things about him. He can go take that belief and build off it in his development process. 

Guy is destined for the NHL. He simply works too hard and is too self aware, with too much raw talent to not end up here eventually. 

No kidding.  He was touted to be a 1st oa pick.  The guy has all the talent and tools to be that high impact player.  This is all gonna come down to development.  We need to be ultra patient with him.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Fred65 said:

If I'm honest I'm surpised that Raty is coming up. Maybe part of the "tank" thinking but he's done nothing to warrant a spell in Vcr. Ther's a lot better than hin curretly in  Abbotsford. This seems to be a little team tank

Have you watched much Abby games? 

I was curious about that as well. Point wise I know he hasn't done much but what has his play looked like without the puck and defensively? 

Maybe it's the old distract the fans with a shiny new toy while we keep losing games and interest is waning to under 10 pages on thr PGT. 

I understand guys like Hogz deserve a shot but I believe he's still down there because we need to keep him waiver exempt and there's only a couple of games left before he is no longer exempt

I like how Christian Wolanin has played so far. 

Maybe they will start cycling in prospects for the remainder of the season to see what they can do to help decide who to keep and who to trade. 

I meant to mention after Monday's Abby game, but Raty very nearly scored a Lacrosse goal in the opening minutes. Goalie barely got his shoulder on it and made a very good save. It's good to see that even though he's not playing tentative even though he doesn't like how he's played.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 250Integra said:

Possibly the ugliest skating stride I’ve ever seen. Shocking how he’s made it that far while skating in mud his whole career. You can definitely see the strong hockey IQ though, just hope he finds a good skating coach soon.

He should go to the coach Horvat used.

11 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

I can't unsee Brendan Gaunce when I watch Raty play.

73…don’t go there lol. However, I actually liked Gaunce on the farm. I feel like we never developed him properly in Utica. 

With the change in coaching and development staff I think we are finally seeing the difference it makes for our farm team players. It’s been a big difference.

Edited by Attila Umbrus

Just now, Attila Umbrus said:

73…don’t go there lol. However, I actually liked Gaunce on the farm. I feel like we never developed him properly in Utica. I really did like him.

With the change in coaching and development staff I think we are finally seeing the difference it makes for our farm team players. It’s been a big difference.

Me too man. And I was excited when Raty was added, but there's some skating that can't be fixed. This may be one.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Me too man. And I was excited when Raty was added, but there's some skating that can't be fixed. This may be one.

Yeah his skating is a big hurdle. But I’m always reminded of a player like Andrew Brunette…he was a terrible skater but his awareness was off the charts and was always in the right place at the right time all over the ice…you’d be like…how the hell did he get there!?

I feel Raty has that in him. Hopefully he improves his skating. But his smarts are always getting him in good position to make the proper plays whether offensively or defensively. Maybe his ceiling isn’t as high as his draft position. But we have needed to fill our 3C spot since…as long as I can remember…i’d take that too if that’s what he is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Yeah his skating is a big hurdle. But I’m always reminded of a player like Andrew Brunette…he was a terrible skater but his awareness was off the charts and was always in the right place at the right time all over the ice…you’d be like…how the hell did he get there!?

I feel Raty has that in him. Hopefully he improves his skating. But his smarts are always getting him in good position to make the proper plays whether offensively or defensively. Maybe his ceiling isn’t as high as his draft position. But we have needed to fill our 3C spot since…as long as I can remember…i’d take that too if that’s what he is.

Yup. Raty will always be an effective 3C, who is smart and hard to play against. Lots of high end players aren’t fast. But they are smart, so are always in the right spot. Maybe we get Leo Carlsson this draft?

Petey, Leo, Rats.  Pretty good down the middle! 

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Raty will always be an effective 3C, who is smart and hard to play against. Lots of high end players aren’t fast. But they are smart, so are always in the right spot. Maybe we get Leo Carlsson this draft?

Petey, Leo, Rats.  Pretty good down the middle! 

He's not even that now lol

• Upvote 2

On 1/30/2023 at 11:46 PM, Alflives said:

How many teams win Cups without their top two centres playing defensively smart?  Gretzky, Lemieux.  Others? Having our two top centres playing 200 foot hockey, while putting up 160 or so points would be fantastic.  

So in 2 weeks Raty went from an 80 point 2c to always be a good 3c...

Trending in the wrong direction pretty quickly 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

• 2 weeks later...