The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aatu Räty | #27 | C

DSVII

26 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Somebody called him a “fat, lazy, turd’? Not me. The worst I’ve ever said of Horvat was years ago when I said he was not a number one centre, and I said he was not even a number two centre on a good team.

Alf. Whom my original reply was directed at before another user decided to take my post out of context. 

6 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Why? Do I have to upgrade Pettersson’s performance because Mikheyev got hurt?

Because discounting a low scoring team losing its main and biggest offensive threat while being critical his linemates overall production is irrationally senseless. 

You take everything in account or your opinion is not gonna be the best opinion you could have made. 

Mik is far from our main offensive threat. It would be like if Petey, our main offensive threat, went down and how that would affect his linemates. Islanders have it even worst considering they don’t have nearly as much offensive threat. 

For next season we have Hronek and Beauvillier at the same cost as the Isles have Horvat.  I'd be willing to bet that AB alone is with 10-15 points of BH next season.  Based on these two alone, I really like this deal.

If Raty develops into a quality 3C, this trade becomes an incredibly massive win.  The so called cap dump that we needed to take is outproducing the piece we gave them by nearly double:towel:

Edited by BCNate
  • Like 1
  • elephant 1

2 hours ago, BCNate said:

For next season we have Hronek and Beauvillier at the same cost as the Isles have Horvat.  I'd be willing to bet that AB alone is with 10-15 points of BH next season.  Based on these two alone, I really like this deal.

If Raty develops into a quality 3C, this trade becomes an incredibly massive win.  The so called cap dump that we needed to take is outproducing the piece we gave them by nearly double:towel:

We badly needed to address RD with the Horvat trade, and ultimately, we accomplished that. We probably paid a premium for Hronek, but that's the case with any solid RD, and Hronek is definitely a top 4 RD in this league.

Getting him in deadline trading, greatly changes our needs as we approach free agency this summer.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

4 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

We badly needed to address RD with the Horvat trade, and ultimately, we accomplished that. We probably paid a premium for Hronek, but that's the case with any solid RD, and Hronek is definitely a top 4 RD in this league.

Getting him in deadline trading, greatly changes our needs as we approach free agency this summer.

If one were to assume that Ethan Bear can play well alongside Hughes on a cheaper deal, I'd push  real hard to grab Ryan Graves or Gavrikov to play alongside Hronek.  That makes for a pretty legit top 4.

Obviously need to find  a taker on Myers.

Bottom pair of OEL-Juulsen/Johansson/Livingstone:emot-parrot:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BCNate said:

If one were to assume that Ethan Bear can play well alongside Hughes on a cheaper deal, I'd push  real hard to grab Ryan Graves or Gavrikov to play alongside Hronek.  That makes for a pretty legit top 4.

Obviously need to find  a taker on Myers.

Bottom pair of OEL-Juulsen/Johansson/Livingstone:emot-parrot:

Don't be surprised if they sign Schenn again this summer to round out defensive depth.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Alf. Whom my original reply was directed at before another user decided to take my post out of context. 

Ah. I don’t think Bo is a big, fat, lazy anything - but I do think he pretty much gave up on playing defence this year in order to enhance his contract resume. Which worked for him. He managed to make an outlier year into an extra couple of mil - good for him and good for us. Because Bo ignored his defensive responsibilities and got more goals, we got more in return than I thought we would. Great. 

Essentially, for Horvat and a second, we got Beauvillier, Hronek, Raty, and a fourth - in my mind, a good deal - if Hronek is healthy after recovering from his injury. 

6 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Don't be surprised if they sign Schenn again this summer to round out defensive depth.

It wouldn’t surprise me, but strictly as depth. If we can shed Myers, we have Hronek, Bear, and a pick of Juulson or Johansson. I think the team would prefer the young guys if they can play. If not, Schenn would be handy, especially if we are playing a tough team.

1 minute ago, Ray_Cathode said:

It wouldn’t surprise me, but strictly as depth. If we can shed Myers, we have Hronek, Bear, and a pick of Juulson or Johansson. I think the team would prefer the young guys if they can play. If not, Schenn would be handy, especially if we are playing a tough team.

Schenn adds a whole degree of toughness and leadership to the blueline that can't be underestimated.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Because discounting a low scoring team losing its main and biggest offensive threat while being critical his linemates overall production is irrationally senseless. 

You take everything in account or your opinion is not gonna be the best opinion you could have made. 

Mik is far from our main offensive threat. It would be like if Petey, our main offensive threat, went down and how that would affect his linemates. Islanders have it even worst considering they don’t have nearly as much offensive threat. 

Heck, I thought with his massive contract that Bo was their biggest offensive threat. But then, unlike Pettersson or Miller, Bo is not a play driver and requires someone else to drive play - which is why I said that his performance was enhanced by playing with Petey, Hughes, Miller, and Boeser. Pettersson and Miller have enormously enhanced the performance of whoever they play with, not something that Bo has done in his career.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Heck, I thought with his massive contract that Bo was their biggest offensive threat. But then, unlike Pettersson or Miller, Bo is not a play driver and requires someone else to drive play - which is why I said that his performance was enhanced by playing with Petey, Hughes, Miller, and Boeser. Pettersson and Miller have enormously enhanced the performance of whoever they play with, not something that Bo has done in his career.

No he is overpaid because Lou "Too long and too much money" Lam backed himself against a wall by paying a price for an UFA. He had to re-sign him or this would have been an awful trade for the Islanders.

Only time I have ever seen Horvat drive play was in the playoffs vs St.Louis. He isn't much of a driver but he works real well with them. 

Not gonna argue that just the fact that you have to take all factors into account in regards to his current level of production. This plays into account I think we both will agree that his production will likely improve from what he is normally with more of an offensive driver in Barzal. He's got no safety net with a bunch of offensive players like he did with the offensively driven Canucks being on a lower scoring higher defensive structured team.

For the most part of his career he's played with crappy linemates, you give him a driver he'll probably work well with them as we've seen the last couple years, especially this year with the over abundance of wingers we have had. He's got Barzal and they'll probably be tied at the hip for a long time since you got a play driving playmaker with a pure goal scorer offensively. 

Nevertheless overpaid but LouLam only hasn't himself to blame for that. IDK if Horvat even gets 8.5M even on open market.

4 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

No he is overpaid because Lou "Too long and too much money" Lam backed himself against a wall by paying a price for an UFA. He had to re-sign him or this would have been an awful trade for the Islanders.

Only time I have ever seen Horvat drive play was in the playoffs vs St.Louis. He isn't much of a driver but he works real well with them. 

Not gonna argue that just the fact that you have to take all factors into account in regards to his current level of production. This plays into account I think we both will agree that his production will likely improve from what he is normally with more of an offensive driver in Barzal. He's got no safety net with a bunch of offensive players like he did with the offensively driven Canucks being on a lower scoring higher defensive structured team.

For the most part of his career he's played with crappy linemates, you give him a driver he'll probably work well with them as we've seen the last couple years, especially this year with the over abundance of wingers we have had. He's got Barzal and they'll probably be tied at the hip for a long time since you got a play driving playmaker with a pure goal scorer offensively. 

Nevertheless overpaid but LouLam only hasn't himself to blame for that. IDK if Horvat even gets 8.5M even on open market.

Remember those long scoring droughts Bo used to have. Couldn’t buy a point.

8 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Remember those long scoring droughts Bo used to have. Couldn’t buy a point.

Yeah especially early in his career when he’d only show up during the 2nd half of seasons. Even last year. 

I like Bo but not for 8.5M. Happy his agent bent Lou Lam over. I don’t like Lou Lam after last draft. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

58 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah especially early in his career when he’d only show up during the 2nd half of seasons. Even last year. 

I like Bo but not for 8.5M. Happy his agent bent Lou Lam over. I don’t like Lou Lam after last draft. 

I think Bo is a 7 mil player on the absolute high end. I really like the way that JR handled the negotiation, and did not cave on a career season that most thought was unstainable.

Bo: 18gp, 9 points, -3

Beau: 18gp, 16 points, +1

We haven't missed Bo at all, and still have a top4 D and very good prospect to add from this deal.  One of our best trades in recent memory.

Edited by BCNate
Not enough coffee yet
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I think Bo is a 7 mil player on the absolute high end. I really like the way that LL handled the negotiation, and did not cave on a career season that most thought was unstainable.

Bo: 18gp, 9 points, -3

Beau: 18gp, 16 points, +1

We haven't missed Bo at all, and still have a top4 D and very good prospect to add from this deal.  One of our best trades in recent memory.

Am I detecting sarcasm here? I thought Bo's agent took LL to the cleaners on this contract.

• Cheers 1

I was hoping to get an update on Raty and all I find is 3 pages on how good/bad Bo Horvat is:frantic:

Looks like Raty has settled into Abby well and is starting to show his skill level.  Looking good for

the Canucks future 3C.

• There it is 2

23 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I was hoping to get an update on Raty and all I find is 3 pages on how good/bad Bo Horvat is:frantic:

Looks like Raty has settled into Abby well and is starting to show his skill level.  Looking good for

the Canucks future 3C.

I think Hronek, new Beau, and Raty will always be compared to old Bo in our market. We still talk about the Linden trade and how that set up for the development of our most successful teams ever. This trade has a similar potential. And Raty is a key piece. He grows into a 2 C and pushes Miller to wing and that’s an incredible win for us. Add Hronek as a D carrying our second pairing and it’s beyond great. Then we got new Beau too! 

Edited by Alflives
  • Cheers 3