The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aatu Räty | #27 | C

DSVII

5 hours ago, rizzuto&hatoum said:

I'm thinking if he becomes a Sammy Pahlsson -type centre, it's a win.

I am hoping for a Mikko or Saku Koivu type of player out of Raty but only time will tell. Let's see if he can improve his skating as that will go a long way in helping him make the NHL in a full time capacity

• Like 2

8 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

As much as I like him as a prospect he's not wrong, he's been dreadful. Not deployed much as a scorer but ouch, a -3 in the San Jose beating. 1 assist, a -5 in 8 games now is a pretty dead-beat stat line.

I'm one of the guys who thinks he needs a full year in Abby to cook but he's playing so badly there, I wonder if it's just a change of systems he's not used to? He scored a couple of neat goals in the NHL, I wonder if a call-up to Vancouver would do him any harm, even just for a couple of games? Maybe the change of scenery will make him explode? Some players for whatever reason don't follow the normal trajectory and seem to do better in the big leagues. I doubt Raty will be an NHL superstar overnight but what's the harm in giving him 2-3 NHL games and then sending him back down?

6 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

As much as I like him as a prospect he's not wrong, he's been dreadful. Not deployed much as a scorer but ouch, a -3 in the San Jose beating. 1 assist, a -5 in 8 games now is a pretty dead-beat stat line.

I'm one of the guys who thinks he needs a full year in Abby to cook but he's playing so badly there, I wonder if it's just a change of systems he's not used to? He scored a couple of neat goals in the NHL, I wonder if a call-up to Vancouver would do him any harm, even just for a couple of games? Maybe the change of scenery will make him explode? Some players for whatever reason don't follow the normal trajectory and seem to do better in the big leagues. I doubt Raty will be an NHL superstar overnight but what's the harm in giving him 2-3 NHL games and then sending him back down?

Ya I’m thinking it’s just a big change, he’s adjusting, his deployment, the pressure to produce etc

hes probably trying incredibly hard and things will settle down.

hopefully by the playoffs he’s settled into things here and either way i think he’s going to have a monster summer and be prepared for a big year In Abby next year. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, AngryElf said:

He gets thrown out of the faceoff circle a lot for a guy who’s supposed to be really good at them. 

Where have you heard he supposed to be really good at faceoffs? One of the knocks against him is he may not be able to cut it at center in the NHL, and the most I can find about his playoff ability is his 21 scouting report that just says "he's decent at faceoffs".

Just now, MeanSeanBean said:

Where have you heard he supposed to be really good at faceoffs? One of the knocks against him is he may not be able to cut it at center in the NHL, and the most I can find about his playoff ability is his 21 scouting report that just says "he's decent at faceoffs".

What I meant is that he has a very decent faceoff percentage, but he gets thrown out of the dot so much that it skews things. 

16 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Very self aware, but too hard on himself, and gets in his own head. Sort of like how Petey did last year. 

Hes still extremely young to be playing in the AHL, needs some time to get comfort, learn the system, etc. 

Overall he plays the right way and should keep developing nicely. Just not expecting him to step into the NHL for at least 2-3 years. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Raty just got to BC, and he's having to mesh in immediately and learn new systems, team mates and coaches, etc. It's a lot for a young player, and I agree, it sounds like he's too hard on himself. I would be patient with him, let him play out this season and next in Abbotsford. Maybe give him a callup down the stretch next season (heading into the 2024 playoffs) If he's struggling in Abby, how would he do better in VAN?

• Like 2

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Raty just got to BC, and he's having to mesh in immediately and learn new systems, team mates and coaches, etc. It's a lot for a young player, and I agree, it sounds like he's too hard on himself. I would be patient with him, let him play out this season and next in Abbotsford. Maybe give him a callup down the stretch next season (heading into the 2024 playoffs) If he's struggling in Abby, how would he do better in VAN?

Yeah he seems to get in his head a lot generally. The report about him struggling hard in his draft year and overworking himself into losing his passion for the game - his battles seem to be more mental than anything else. 

I feel like its really good for team culture to have young players like this - the kind that are their own harshest critics, theyre not the kinds of players that will take shortcuts. They'll spend their offseasons in the gym, working with consultants like Oates to get better, etc. The exact opposite of country club players. Its much easier to have patience with players that are struggling when you know that they're desperately doing everything they can to improve. Petey is that kind of players too. 

When his confidence gets to the same level of his raw skillset, and those skills get a bit more refined, hes going to be a hell of a player, in my opinion. 

• There it is 1

14 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Here's an article that makes some sense into Raty dropping in his draft.  At 16yrs, he was hailed as

the future 1oa, but by the time he was drafted in '21, he was playing on an adult pro team and getting

very little ice time.  His confidence was at an all-time low as was his joy for the game.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/prospect-interest-despite-year-cant-fake-aatu-ratys-talent/

Finally, gets his confidence back and plays in sm-Liiga ('21-'22) and puts up the points 41g-13-17-40pts.

Joins the Islanders AHL team to help out in playoffs (6g-1-3-4pts). 

'22-'23 Raty begins his 1st year in NA and the pressure comes back when he plays 12g-2goals in the NHL.

Sent down to the AHL team, he has 27g-7-8-15pts., which is on par with several players drafted much higher.

Meanwhile, only 7 players in his draft have played over 50 games in the NHL.  In the 1st round, there's

a few playing in the AHL, more in the NCAA and many more are still grinding it out in juniors.  Bulduc, Othmann,

Boucher, Lucius, Lysell, Stillman and others to name a few.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that this kid is actually doing quite well.  He clearly has difficulty

handling stress as @eeeeergh has pointed out.  The next year of his development will be extremely

important his progression.  Building his confidence and handling the stressors will certainly be a part

of his training package.  I am quite hopeful that this young man will do well in the NHL.

Fans need to be patient and stop the endless criticism.  He's 20yrs old. Give him a chance.

Exactly.

Sedin should phone up Brendan Morrison and have him take Raty on a fishing trip. Both are centers. For that matter Hank can join them. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1