The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aatu Räty | #27 | C

DSVII

10 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I think it's to give him time to adjust to a new team.  Raty is nothing like Dahlen; he's pretty good defensively. 

Colliton has done wonders for the Abby team.  I'm not worried at all about Raty's development.

Hmm... I'm worried... If he's so talented and was the "prize" of the trade, it's really concerning he only has one assist on that level of hockey. 

Doesn't feel good at all. Remember he played in the NHL and scored against us and now, in 6 games hasn't done jack sh*t... 

Does not bode well...

PS why are a lot of you discussing everything else BUT Raty in this thread!? ::D

• RoughGame 1

Oh just have a weird feeling this kid is not gonna pan out. It’s just that the comment on his skating scares the heck out of me. I hope I am wrong but I honestly can’t remember the last average skater who can hold down a regular top 6 spot in the nhl. Boeser was the last guy who did but now…….

7 hours ago, ktcy2 said:

Oh just have a weird feeling this kid is not gonna pan out. It’s just that the comment on his skating scares the heck out of me. I hope I am wrong but I honestly can’t remember the last average skater who can hold down a regular top 6 spot in the nhl. Boeser was the last guy who did but now…….

Patrice Bergeron. ROR. Mark Stone.  Lots of elite 200 foot forwards who’s skating isn’t why they are great players. Candy teach smarts and compete. Raty has both in spades. 

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Patrice Bergeron. ROR. Mark Stone.  Lots of elite 200 foot forwards who’s skating isn’t why they are great players. Candy teach smarts and compete. Raty has both in spades. 

How many of those you listed struggled this hard to produce in the AHL at ratys age?

I'll save you the time, you won't even have to go to hockey DB.

None of them.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

But combine his skating with his mediocre minor league production… and the fall in the draft… and the fact that he hasn’t produced at any pro level. I mean he could still be a fine nhl player. But is he going to be a star? A top 6 impactful player? Most likely not. Not impossible but the odds are not great 

10 minutes ago, ktcy2 said:

But combine his skating with his mediocre minor league production… and the fall in the draft… and the fact that he hasn’t produced at any pro level. I mean he could still be a fine nhl player. But is he going to be a star? A top 6 impactful player? Most likely not. Not impossible but the odds are not great 

You might as well be talking to your microwave man. 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, ktcy2 said:

I’d take Raty as 3C - that would be the floor as a “win” for me.  

The vibe I got reading about him was that he was likely a middle 6 forward at the NHL level but his speed might push him to the wing.  In that case, I think it’s a loss.  Or if he tops out at, like, 4C or lower.

We’ll see, though.  If he doesn’t start producing in Abby next year I’ll be worried, too, but right now I think we need to let him get settled.

• Cheers 4

18 hours ago, higgyfan said:

In the year after his draft, Raty was the best C on his team 41g -13-27-40pts.  Lliga is a professional team

in the top tier in Finland.

As I pointed out earlier, his numbers in Bridgeport (AHL) this year is comparable to Podz and Hogs, who

are older than him. 

I'm not saying he'll be an impactful top 6 player; I have no idea.  He does have some very good skills and

the Canucks could really use a 3C badly, so that's what I'm hoping for.

He's just 20yrs old.  He needs more developmental time.

Well you know Higgy time is no friend to Canuck prospects. :lol: The extent of conversation on prospects rarely moves past the stat sheets. To a large extent I don't think many critics actually understand the game or the criteria for accurate evaluation. The idea that a 20 year old Raty would be criticized to the point that his career would be questioned is discouraging. Fans should spend more time studying the game. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

22 hours ago, ktcy2 said:

He's 20

45 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Aatu Raty had 40 points in 41 games as a 19 year old playing in the top league in Finland against men.  In comparison, Roope Hintz had 20 points in 33 games as a 19 year old playing in Finland.  Roope was also a 2nd round pick from Finland. 

Roope Hintz also played one more year in Finland and had 30 points in 44 games as a 20 year old. 

As a 21 year old, Roope Hintz had 35 points in 70 games in the AHL. That’s worse than what Räty was doing this year as a 20 year old when he played with the Islanders AHL team. 

At 22, Roope played both in the AHL and the NHL. He was a PPG in the AHL.  At 23, Roope finally made the NHL full time. At 26, he is now regarded as one of the top two way centres in the NHL. 

The odds are never great that a 2nd round pick can turn into a top two way centre in the NHL. Räty might be a bust. Or he may be the next Roope Hintz. Time will tell, but it’s too early to write him off. 

FYI, Roope was projected to be a 3C in the NHL, they compared him to Patrik Berglund. Raty is projected to be a 2C in the NHL and they compare him to Nazem Kadri. 

But how does Hintz's skating compared to Raty?

30 minutes ago, rizzuto&hatoum said:

But how does Hintz's skating compared to Raty?

Raty is a good skater. Not sure where the idea came that he was a terrible skater. As per his draft report:

Skating

Raty is a good but not great skater. He can get around the ice well enough and keeps up with the play but he is not going to beat opponents purely on his footwork. His first few steps are good, and his acceleration is decent. His top-end speed is also good but does not challenge the best players in the draft. The best aspect of Raty’s skating is his agility and edgework. He has very good lateral movement. This allows him to get by defenders, both on the rush and in the offensive zone. When facing his own age group, he is strong on his skates with the ability to battle through checks and keep going. He also wins battles on the boards and in front of the net. However, he must get stronger to face men.

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2021/05/18/aatu-raty-scouting-report/amp/

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1