The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Nikita Tryamkin eyeing NHL return

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Haha… Pretty amazing what happens if you could  somehow manage to sign three top 4D!

Of course there is the pesky problem of actually doing it and getting the cap space.

Well we did have arguably FIVE top 4 D once a couple GM's ago at the same time on the team.:ph34r:

• Vintage 2

55 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I don't think there is room for Try and Schenn. There has to be TOI for younger prospects. Are you giving up on signing Gavrikov? 

Schenn would be great as a #7.  Having limited icetime like that wouldn't take icetime away from developing prospects.  He's the type of veteran you want around "rookies".

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

If we can sign him we don't need to draft a defenseman in the first round. 

I think you put too much importance on drafting a defenseman. Before the time the draft pick was ready for NHL action, he'd be looking at two to four years developing. Who knows what the team will need two to four years from now?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Nope… just Miller and Myers gone and we could afford that well enough.

It isn’t impossible we could swap Miller for a Severson equivalent (but younger) plus a good pick and save a little cap… and then use that pick to offload Myers.

They had better have some sort of plan like this or next year’s “going for it” idea is going to be over by Christmas.

Haha. Great D but second line centre is Aman and 3 winger sets for line 3 and 4.
Makes sense the way we accrue expensive wingers that we are just planning on getting rid of centres. 

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I don't think there is room for Try and Schenn. There has to be TOI for younger prospects. Are you giving up on signing Gavrikov? 

I would have Hirose up with the big club.  I think Rathbone gets traded, he can't play defense.  Johansson and McWard would be in Abby full time.  What other prospects are you referring to?  Wolanin and Brisebois aren't really prospects, they can fill in with an injury, but I am not counting on them to be full time NHL'ers at this point, not if we want to be a playoff team.

With OEL hanging around and possibly Myers as well, yes I am giving up on Gavrikov.  He's not as physical as I want him to be anyways against Edmonton.  We need some bruisers back there.  Schenn is a no brainer to bring back.  If we are making a trade I would go hard after Brandon Carlo.  I think Boston is going to have some cap problems with the $4.5 million in bonus overages they have to pay, so they may want to get rid of a big contract or two.

Hughes        Carlo

OEL             Hronek

Tryamkin     Myers

Hirose         Schenn

I could live with that.  We get some more size into the lineup and defensive Dmen.  Schenn can rotate with Myers and Hirose with Tryamkin.  We are 8 deep with that lineup and still have a few guys in Abby we can call up...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

35 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I would have Hirose up with the big club.  I think Rathbone gets traded, he can't play defense.  Johansson and McWard would be in Abby full time.  What other prospects are you referring to?  Wolanin and Brisebois aren't really prospects, they can fill in with an injury, but I am not counting on them to be full time NHL'ers at this point, not if we want to be a playoff team.

With OEL hanging around and possibly Myers as well, yes I am giving up on Gavrikov.  He's not as physical as I want him to be anyways against Edmonton.  We need some bruisers back there.  Schenn is a no brainer to bring back.  If we are making a trade I would go hard after Brandon Carlo.  I think Boston is going to have some cap problems with the $4.5 million in bonus overages they have to pay, so they may want to get rid of a big contract or two.

Hughes        Carlo

OEL             Hronek

Tryamkin     Myers

Hirose         Schenn

I could live with that.  We get some more size into the lineup and defensive Dmen.  Schenn can rotate with Myers and Hirose with Tryamkin.  We are 8 deep with that lineup and still have a few guys in Abby we can call up...

My only quibble is that Wolanin is a kind of guy you can have in the press box, Hirose needs minutes.  I would rather he play big minutes in Abby as he has a higher ceiling still if developed right.

Sadly, I think Schenn will be too expensive for us.  He has earned himself a $3 million x 3 year contract from someone and we shouldn’t pay that.  Maybe if we kept him at the deadline we could have extended him for cheap, but I think now it would be closer to market rate.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Provost said:

My only quibble is that Wolanin is a kind of guy you can have in the press box, Hirose needs minutes.  I would rather he play big minutes in Abby as he has a higher ceiling still if developed right.

Sadly, I think Schenn will be too expensive for us.  He has earned himself a $3 million x 3 year contract from someone and we shouldn’t pay that.  Maybe if we kept him at the deadline we could have extended him for cheap, but I think now it would be closer to market rate.

True, I think Schenn will be a hot commodity in the summer. He probably wants to play at home though with his new family around, so if we could get him for 1.5x3 I would do it.  If some one wants to pay him $3 million then yeah he’s gonna go somewhere else.

Yeah, Wolanin needs to clear waivers so they may keep him up instead. We will see.  Yeah, he would be a perfect 7 guy coming out of the press box.  Either way, we have Wolanin and Hirose, one would be with the big club and one in Abby…

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

True, I think Schenn will be a hot commodity in the summer. He probably wants to play at home though with his new family around, so if we could get him for 1.5x3 I would do it.  If some one wants to pay him $3 million then yeah he’s gonna go somewhere else.

Yeah, Wolanin needs to clear waivers so they may keep him up instead. We will see.  Yeah, he would be a perfect 7 guy coming out of the press box.  Either way, we have Wolanin and Hirose, one would be with the big club and one in Abby…

Did Wooly just recently clear waivers so he could playing in the Abby playoffs? I wonder if his being older it would be less likely he gets plucked than a younger guy like Woo? 

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Rick Dhaliwal predicts we will sign Nikita Tryamkin on July 1.  He has a $20 bet with Don Taylor...

is this real, is there a link he said this:

I bet Sergei Gonchar has reached out and promised to develop him, + we have a great nucleus of Russians now, this is actually a great place for him + he is somewhat familiar with the city, organization/owner, and the ppl he did not like (Willie D, JB) are gone...a 1 or 2 year contract makes sense, he might also change his agent to MILL$$$$CHTEIN

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Did Wooly just recently clear waivers so he could playing in the Abby playoffs? I wonder if his being older it would be less likely he gets plucked than a younger guy like Woo? 

Wolanin cleared for the playoffs yes. But for a new season next year he may not. Woo will probably clear next season but maybe a bottom feeder takes a chance on him.  I’m not concerned about either one. Don’t think either player is in the Canucks long term plans. 

59 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

I bet Sergei Gonchar has reached out and promised to develop him, + we have a great nucleus of Russians now, this is actually a great place for him + he is somewhat familiar with the city, organization/owner, and the ppl he did not like (Willie D, JB) are gone...a 1 or 2 year contract makes sense, he might also change his agent to MILL$$$$CHTEIN

He said it on today’s show. You’d have to watch the show to hear it for yourself. 

Tryamkin will play in the NHL next season. We just don’t know for who. If the Canucks really want him I think they can get him. He literally still has his Canucks picture on his Instagram profile. 

4 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

On the most recent podcast it’s around the 26 minutes mark that they start discussing Tryamkin.

“He’s back on July 1st, book it.” -Dhaliwal

I couldn’t tell, however, if he was saying the Canucks will sign Tryamkin or just that he’ll be signed by an NHL team. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

On the most recent podcast it’s around the 26 minutes mark that they start discussing Tryamkin.

“He’s back on July 1st, book it.” -Dhaliwal

I couldn’t tell, however, if he was saying the Canucks will sign Tryamkin or just that he’ll be signed by an NHL team. 

He said he’ll be back with the Canucks. And Taylor said they had the $20 running bet still going. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Muttley said:

What do you think Nikita Tryamkin is worth? What would the Canucks be willing to cough up? He's no spring chicken anymore, so that has to be considered. I'm not a fan of bringing him back but at the same time, there's no doubt, we need someone of his size and intimidating physique.  

Probably $1,5 to $2 million on a 2-3 year deal. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, I just listened to the segment.

I agree that it sounded that way and definitely could be interpreted as such. Just noting that Dhaliwal never directly said that Tryamkin is coming to Vancouver, but just said that he’s “coming back,” which could mean a return to the NHL, but not him specifically signing with the Canucks.

I’d agree, however, that in the context of conversation (which lasted about a minute), it really did sound like he meant the Canucks.

It just wasn’t ever explicitly stated that Vancouver plans to sign Tryamkin on July 1st, which leaves me with some uncertainty regarding what Dhaliwal actually meant with his comments.

We’ll see. I definitely think the Canucks could sign Tryamkin, if he’s a player they want to target. And I think there’s a decent chance Tryamkin would pick Vancouver over other teams, if the money is equal. Especially now that every staff member who had negative dealings with Tryamkin (when he was here) has been fired. And the team has also added more Russians to both the roster and the coaching staff.

Dhaliwal has been pretty accurate this year, when it comes to his scoops (Hirose, McWard, etc) and he definitely has some strong contacts with player agents (a group that seems to make up almost the entirety of his sources), including Todd Diamond (who reps Tryamkin).

Dhaliwal and Taylor have a running bet of $20 on whether Tryamkin will come back to Vancouver.  Dhaliwal didn't specifically say Vancouver today, but it was implied from previous shows where he said it and they made a bet on it.  Dhaliwal saying Tryamkin will be back on July 1 certainly means he thinks he's coming back to Vancouver, as Taylor then mentioned the $20 bet.  He knows 100% he's coming back to the NHL, so that's already a given and confirmed by his agent...

14 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He does play the right side even though he shoots left.  Can play both sides really.  I'm sure if the Canucks really want him they can just get Sergei Gonchar to talk to him.  Gonchar is a legend in Russia.  I'd do a one year show me deal for $1.5 million, but I wouldn't be opposed to giving him 2 years.  We could play him on the 3rd pairing with either Bear or Myers.  I think even with Tryamkin we would still need one more Dman.  That guy could be Schenn.  Adding Schenn and Tryamkin shoud solve our size problem at the back for a couple of years until we get more cap space to sign better options...

Not sure we'll get a chance to sign Schenn again. Leafs would be brain dead not to offer him a contract after these play offs. 

• Cheers 2