The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at New Jersey Devils | Feb. 06, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 hours ago, naslund.is.king said:

How about them systems?

tank GIF

Yep, that tank must be fuelled by the Pulled Pork & Black Beans at image.png.939f3606dc37c995a218115a22634106.png (section 121) at Rogers.

(P.S." Don't worry though, there's a nearby handicap washroom you can sneak into if you can't "hold-on"!)

Edited by RU SERIOUS
typo

Glad to see that there's literally no difference between coaching staff. People in the media get so worked up about systems and tactics but look - we swap from an offensive-minded Bruce Boudreau to a defensive shutdown style Tocchet and there's literally no difference on the ice. Sure, maybe it's time and Rick hasn't had enough yet, but this is exactly the same team on the ice. Great forwards up front, poor defencemen and AHL goaltending, no surprise there's no change. Do we win this game with Bo? Maybe. Got shelled in the faceoff department, I think we're going to quickly drop to worst in the league in that area soon.

Didn't watch the game but how was Beauvillier? Had a dreadful stat line alongside Petey, meanwhile Kuz thrives by himself. Wasn't a fan of the player as many here were but how did he look with his big fat -2 on the top line?

• Huggy Bear 1
  • There it is 1

59 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Glad to see that there's literally no difference between coaching staff. People in the media get so worked up about systems and tactics but look - we swap from an offensive-minded Bruce Boudreau to a defensive shutdown style Tocchet and there's literally no difference on the ice. Sure, maybe it's time and Rick hasn't had enough yet, but this is exactly the same team on the ice. Great forwards up front, poor defencemen and AHL goaltending, no surprise there's no change. Do we win this game with Bo? Maybe. Got shelled in the faceoff department, I think we're going to quickly drop to worst in the league in that area soon.

Didn't watch the game but how was Beauvillier? Had a dreadful stat line alongside Petey, meanwhile Kuz thrives by himself. Wasn't a fan of the player as many here were but how did he look with his big fat -2 on the top line?

didnt watch the game either but those faceoff stats are god awful.. EP's going to get a lot of the tough faceoff draws now and didn't look good at all. wouldn't be suprise we drop to the worse team in faceoff by the end of the season :D

14 minutes ago, Rabbit said:

Good game!

Canucks played hard without Bo.

For tank, one point is Okay.

Nope, not OK. Canucks drop to #7. Montreal not pulling any punches as they drop. While I don't see Van climbing any higher than #7 I was hoping for #3. I can only hope that PA has some deals cooking which he will make quickly. Canucks have to chase the Habs downhill. The initial look at what Tocchet is doing on the d-side looks promising. That said it is premature as Canucks cannot take points. 

Interesting in the broadcasr last night Amber floated a possible trade of Quinn Hughes to NJD. The possible return was pretty enticing. If PA ever consider moving Hughes there would be big time interest around the NHL. That would be a monster move. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

didnt watch the game either but those faceoff stats are god awful.. EP's going to get a lot of the tough faceoff draws now and didn't look good at all. wouldn't be suprise we drop to the worse team in faceoff by the end of the season :D

Aman Dries Pete 33% faceoffs

Try other guys there

Why keep losing draws 

Is it a rule only centermen can take draws?

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

Who cares Wai, we are on team tank.  Doesn't matter if we lose all of our faceoffs for the rest of the year.  We will figure it out in the summer when the new guys come in.  Replacing BO's faceoffs is the least of our concern.  None of New Jersey's goals came off of a lost faceoff.  It wasn't as big of a deal as everyone is making it out to me.  The stat I liked is that we were aggressive all night and outhit New Jersey 33-15.  That's Rick Tocchet hockey.  One bite at a time.  We also went 3-3 on the penalty kill during regulation time, including killing a 5-3.  The forwards were much more aggressive on the PK.  Again, Rick Tocchet hockey.

If you actually watched the game you would have seen a big difference in all of the little things.  The score doesn't tell the whole story.  We had a brain fart for 50 seconds in the second period when all hell broke loose.  The rest of the 59 minutes of the game we looked like the better team playing a much better defensive structure.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 3
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Who cares Wai, we are on team tank.  Doesn't matter if we lose all of our faceoffs for the rest of the year.  We will figure it out in the summer when the new guys come in.  Replacing BO's faceoffs is the least of our concern.  None of New Jersey's goals came off of a lost faceoff.  It wasn't as big of a deal as everyone is making it out to me.  The stat I liked is that we were aggressive all night and outhit New Jersey 33-15.  That's Rick Tocchet hockey.  One bite at a time.  We also went 3-3 on the penalty kill during regulation time, including killing a 5-3.  The forwards were much more aggressive on the PK.  Again, Rick Tocchet hockey.

If you actually watched the game you would have seen a big difference in all of the little things.  The score doesn't tell the whole story.  We had a brain fart for 50 seconds in the second period when all hell broke loose.  The rest of the 59 minutes of the game we looked like the better team playing a much better defensive structure.

yes that i understand.. but if we are expecting EP to be our #1 center is it a good thing to toss him out there non stop to be beaten to a pulp on the faceoff circle? we want him to have confidence and improve i dunno if he'll improve if he's constantly in the mid 30s for faceoff.. i guess it could go 2 ways.. either he takes it upon himself and dont like losing draws work on his faceoff. or his faceoff confidence takes a beating and he doesn't improve in faceoff. he already taken and lost more faceoff than he has last season in 32 less games. faceoff i still think is important. if you are stuck on the ice for icing and want to get off u need to win the draw otherwise other team may not score off the faceoff but they could build momentum and swing games. not that it matter right now as we are all in on tanking i hope. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

yes that i understand.. but if we are expecting EP to be our #1 center is it a good thing to toss him out there non stop to be beaten to a pulp on the faceoff circle? we want him to have confidence and improve i dunno if he'll improve if he's constantly in the mid 30s for faceoff.. i guess it could go 2 ways.. either he takes it upon himself and dont like losing draws work on his faceoff. or his faceoff confidence takes a beating and he doesn't improve in faceoff. he already taken and lost more faceoff than he has last season in 32 less games. faceoff i still think is important. if you are stuck on the ice for icing and want to get off u need to win the draw otherwise other team may not score off the faceoff but they could build momentum and swing games. not that it matter right now as we are all in on tanking i hope. 

If Petey wants to be a franchise centre then he will need to learn to take faceoffs and be at least in the 48% range, if not 50%.  He can't be a true 1C if his faceoffs are in the 30's.  He said in his interview with Marek and Friedman that faceoffs are the one area he wants to improve on.  Knowing Petey, he will work on that in the summer.  He came back from last year and has become a top two-way player now, so I have no doubt in my mind that he can learn to become a better faceoff guy.

• Cheers 1

Not an unexpected effort.

Still getting a coaching bump

Lots of AHL guys trying out, motivated

New guy trying hard

New roles from some players

Stillman looked pretty good 

A little let down from NJD, they thought they had it won and backed off, lost momentum, just a very young team still learning.

I can't believe the "moral victory" stuff from most media, starting the cheer leading already, they lost they just looked better losing.

4 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

You missed a great game. 

They played very well for 58 minutes. Two minutes of chaos giraffe, sloppy stillman as usual and the game looked to be out of reach at 4-1. 

then they stormed back! Refs screwed them over in the OT and we lost. No one is complaining here the effort level was high. 

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 2

1 minute ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Welp it's safe to assume horvat was the locker room cancer who promoted lazy defensive plays :bigblush:

Will we see guys stand up for one another (like Tanev and Dube did against Trouba) when they need to now that the “elephant” in the room is gone?  Dube is small and soft, half Horvat’s size, and he didn’t hesitate.  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Will we see guys stand up for one another (like Tanev and Dube did against Trouba) when they need to now that the “elephant” in the room is gone?  Dube is small and soft, half Horvat’s size, and he didn’t hesitate.  

In all seriousness I don't think it's a stretch at all to say Beau will out produce Bo. Watching what I could of the Islanders game... They are still that pure defensive 1-0 / 2-1 type team. We are the 4+ goals for and still lose 2/3rds of games :P

He's going to know what's it's like to have fans pile on him thanks to his big contract just like Miller lol

• elephant 1

10 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Should put Hughes on PP2 and OEL on PP1 and actually use one of OEL’s prime strengths (getting shots on the net) for a change. 

OEL has probably the softest shot I have ever seen, just floats them add to that his lack of foot speed, he'd be terrible for the 1st unit.  I'd rather have Hughes out there.  

• Wat 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1