The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at New Jersey Devils | Feb. 06, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

19 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I wonder if Adam Foote can turn Tyler Myers into...  Adam Foote.  One can dream...

One thing I noticed on the bench now is simply the presence of the men standing behind the players. Ain't no way anyone will have a bad attitude with tochett and Foote back there :lol:

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Has anyone ever face washed Petey?  I know he got body slammed as a rookie, but since then has anyone actually gone after him?  He seems to get angry sometimes and likes to throw hits at guys who he's pissed off at.  The fire is there to be a superstar...

I LOVE seeing EP throw the body. I start hootin and hollering from the couch like we just won a playoff game every time :towel::lol:

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I wonder if Adam Foote can turn Tyler Myers into...  Adam Foote.  One can dream...

Well, Adam now has a foote in the door to better our D. Hopefully he and Myers are getting off on the right foote. 

Seeing myself out the door now! ;)

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Imagine trading Kuzmenko and Demko for a couple more 1st round picks in this years draft.   I wonder which teams would like to have 1 or both of these players for the playoffs and would be willing to give up high draft picks?

It should be a fun month coming up... 

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I have to say that Tocchet is growing on me. 

He's growing on me too.  Everyone liked Boudreau.  He's like your dad, you can hang out with him on the weekend and you want him to succeed.  Tocchet is like the older brother that you hated growing up cause he always beat you up.  But he went on to have a successful career in the sport that you love and now you want him to teach you everything he knows.  He won't do that without being a bit of a dick, in your face and maybe whack you across the head a couple of times.  But at the end of the day he will teach you how to be like him.

That's how I see it.  Petey seems to have gotten the message.  He looks like Peter Forsberg 2.0 out there.  Tocchet might be the best thing to ever happen to him.

One thing I remember about the interview he did after the game where Joshua got that goal, had the fight and was all over the ice.  He said he told Joshua that if he keeps playing like that he will be able to pay his mortgage payments for a long time.  So true.  These guys all have a short career.  They can run with it and be successful and make millions, so they can pay off their mortgages, or they can go through the motions, be out of the league in 3-4 years and have to go out and sell cars or houses for a living to pay the bills.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I have to say that Tocchet is growing on me. 

And yet most fans $hit on him immediately simply because they liked Bruce lol...that's no reason not to like a coach haha. I agree though, so far it looks more structured and the pace is better cross our fingers. 

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The Sedins lacked what Petey has.  The will to sacrifice your body at any time to make a play.  Landeskog has that mentality.  That's why he is the captain and is a Stanley Cup champion.  Petey at 24 is already dominating the league.  The Sedins at 24 were 3rd line players.  It took them many years just to become first line players.  Their skating held them back for years and they were easily pushed around.

Petey has a different mentality than the Sedins or Naslund.  He is more like Landeskog and Peter Forsberg.  Both Stanely Cup champions...

Consistency was their main strength but it also was a weakness because they played same way no matter what the stage. 

To be fair to them, they got cross checked at least twenty times per game by the bruins defense and there’s not much they could do because their game depended on making plays along the boards. 

If they found a way to adapt and play a different style of the game, we would have the cup wrapped up and delivered. Rather than insisting on puck possession in the zone, perhaps they might have been better served playing on the open ice and off the rush for example.  I don’t know. That was a great team with great chemistry. No real weakness on that team but it still failed to win the cup. 

1 hour ago, Pure961089 said:

Imagine trading Kuzmenko and Demko for a couple more 1st round picks in this years draft.   I wonder which teams would like to have 1 or both of these players for the playoffs and would be willing to give up high draft picks?

We just re-signed kuz. That’s not happening. 

Demko is a possibility but the return would have to be too good to refuse. We should not be getting rid of our starter for a late 1st. 

45 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

And yet most fans $hit on him immediately simply because they liked Bruce lol...that's no reason not to like a coach haha. I agree though, so far it looks more structured and the pace is better cross our fingers. 

Heff switched teams over him, ridiculous. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Linden maybe wasn't even top 8 for tough guys on the team and he put someone right through the glass.  Plus there was Momesso, Antoski, etc.

The 1982 team was the same way.  Smyl, Snepsts, Fraser, Williams...those guys were beasts.

As for 2011...Bieksa was a tough guy that would have fit in on the 1982 or 1994 lineups.  Otherwise we were ridiculously overstocked in "agitators" - Kesler, Torres, Burrows, Lapierre, etc. - as opposed to guys who finish things.  Could you imagine the Oilers dynasty with no Messier or Semenko but instead five Ken Linsemans...

Totally 

Norton through the glass was another favorite memory

Totally accurate assessment on Bieksa being the only 94 / 82 type guy. 

Everyone else were just agitators. Burrows pulling Keith's hair, Lapierre biting Bergeron's finger...